News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 9th edition list journey  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
9th edition list journey
« on: August 20, 2020, 07:02:05 PM »
Friends! Fellow pointy ears! A new era is upon us (until the next codex anyway).

9th edition is really shaking things up and I'd like to bring some life back to this part of the forum. Is anyone here?

This will be my first outing in 9th edition. I've been making a lot of lists and thinking I'm going to start with this one.

2k on the nose:

Saim-Hann outrider

Warlock Skyrunner - singing spear
Quicken

3x5 Shining Spears - Star Lances and Withdraw (not totally set on withdraw. We'll if they'll ever use it)

Expert crafters/Masters of Concealment patrol

Farseer (warlord)- Singing Spear -Falchu's wings - Doom and Executioner - Ambush of blades

Asurmen

2x10 Dire Avengers - dual catapults - Avenging Strikes

2x Wave Serpents - Star Cannons, Shuriken Cannon, spirit stones

2x3 War Walkers - Eldar Missile Launchers

Basic idea is post up on two objectives that are close enough to each other with the Serpents, Avengers, Farseer and Asurmen. These should be relatively hard to remove. Eldar sort of lack good board control but we can certainly hold down 1-2. I just want to make sure I'm getting 10 points for the primary. Avenging Strikes can make them actually put out quite a bit of damage of they lose a few models.

The Saim-Hann Shining Spears are my objective bully unit. I cam quicken one, and advance-charge another to where they need to be. Shining Spears are still pretty efficient this edition for the points increase. Their main purpose is to push my opponent off of objectives so that I can be holding more and prevent them from having more than one. They still have plenty of chaff clearing and tank hunting ability. Can hopefully use them to for the table quarters secondary as well. Going with smaller squads so it's easier to hide them with the new terrain rules.

War Walkers are extremely points efficient and are better now with the changes to vehicle rules. They can actually be decently durable with the invulnerable save always counting as being in cover. Expert crafters makes them even more efficient for shooting vehicles. These guys can blast enemy transports and tanks and even take advantage of the new blast rules against hordes.

I'll be trying this out this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:02:09 PM by Partninja »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: 9th edition list journey
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »
I'm so glad to see star cannons in your list. Everything looks pretty solid but then I saw those and wow, it all looks good. The ww with eml backed up with a farseer with guide will be glorious to behold when you unload on the unsuspecting foe and then gobbled up with the spears if any survive. Let us know how they do.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 9th edition list journey
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »
Sadly not a lot to really report. We had to switch to 1500 points I dropped to 4 war Walkers, dropped the Farseer and a squad of Shining Spears using two patrols instead. I just wanted to try a few things anyway.

I made a HUGE misplay in my deployment and my opponent's 30-man Ork boy blob was able to Da Jump and charge into my front line tagging half my army. I just couldn't recover....

I should have used the Avenger squads  to screen my front line. I just completely forgot about his +1 to charge and ruins don't slow movement. I also got so distracted by trying to hide behind the new obscuring terrain I forgot you can still just charge through it.. Didn't help he won the roll to go first as well.

The units that survived did their tasks and they should have. Walkers are surprisingly durable as well.

I've decided to take a bit of a different direction with my list though next. I think multiple squads of Avengers on foot will be better than trying to get them in Serpents. Again, trying to clump them across two objectives in the mid field with Asurmen and extra Shuriken range. This time with Avenging Strikes exarch power.