News: We have moved servers!!

You will likely have to log in again, since the old cookies were replaced with freshly baked ones. This new server should run much faster and is more modern than the old clunker that supported the site for over a decade.

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Apothecary or Command Point?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Apothecary or Command Point?
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:02:26 PM »
I want to like Apothecaries but...I just don't.

Got 70 points left in a Deathwatch list. I can either proxy an apothecary or buy a command point and a few power fists. Which would you take?

EDIT: Now that I'm looking at this, you *can* buy a command point for 50 points, right? I remember reading that...somewhere... once...

Or is that *just* in AoS?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:39:41 AM by Wyddr »

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: Apothecary or Command Point?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
I don't believe that is a rule in 40k.... if it were I would make use of that all the time!

As to Apothecaries.... I have to agree that they are rather lack-luster. I'r rather see them give a FnP 6+ with a 3" bubble 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:00:04 AM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 11:56:10 AM »
Outside of adding a few bodies to squads (and I don't really have the bodies), there's just about nothing the Deathwatch can get for 70 points except an Apothecary.

It's...aggravating.

As for Apothecaries, I think they should have a 6+ FNP bubble and they should automatically restore 1d3 wounds worth *of models* to any given unit. Then they would 100% worth it. Now? Meh. I get to replace 1 wound on a Primaris *or* flip a coin to get a guy back. For that many points? That's just robbery.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 02:17:38 PM »
If you post the whole list maybe we can offer some other suggestions for where to spend those points?  Or point out some places where you can shave off a few more points so you can afford to buy something objectively better.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
I didn't have a lot of non-proxying options. Ended up exploiting the new Bolter rules and dropped a few Auto Bolt Rifles so I could buy a naked 5-man Vet Kill Team (had to proxy).

They paid off better than an apothecary.

There are legitimately *few* options available for 75 points or less, be it known.

Besides squad upgrades, you've got a naked Captain, a Chaplain, 3 naked bikes, a primaris chaplain, or 5 naked vets. Oh, and a drop pod.