News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Git  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
Re: New Git
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »
You make a very good point about the boss poles and boss nobs.  The boss' leadership isn't better than the regular boys and the pole only lets you reroll 2/3 of the results.  As I was told after one game, "Boyz not toys," when taking add-on equipment.

All said, that list looks fun and still gives me a bunch of units on the table.  I think I know what I'm going to have to purchase next for my army.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 08:26:38 AM »
You can take the boyz in three units of ten, but they are much less likely to be forced morale checks in the bigger units. The only time you may want smaller units is if you want to spread out your target priority, have units be able to shoot or charge more targets, or have more units to add more nobs. In your case, I think the bigger the units the better.

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »
And again, I'll interject my opinion into the current conversation:

Go big or go home...use big units (over 12-15) as they tend to survive the mob rule rolls better.  I had a 30 ork unit tie up a DA HQ for 2 turns, freeing up 2 other units to run havoc throughout the enemy lines and succeed in linebreaking (man, do I hate the new sub-objectives...).  Back when the mob rulez actually worked for orks, large units were still the order of the day as they had survivability in the face of superior firepower, weapons skill and ballistic skill (kinda like today...).

Don't be afraid to have big units of either shootas or sluggas.  Shootas make for a great gun line or objective security.  Sluggas are a great wave that hits an enemy unit or objective with a bucket of dice and merry mayhem...

Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
I plan on going bigger down the road, units of 20-30 boyz.  These are smaller point games and the 12 boyz thing was mostly because I was trying trukks in earlier games and that was the capacity.

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ... keep quiet about trukks...all that's going to do is attract Skeetergod and he'll be all over you like a used car salesman about the advantages of being a speed freak and KOS and who knows what else...Watch yerself...he's out there, just waitin'...and watchin'...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 07:26:51 PM »
Ah now you did it. You spoke his name, so he's sure to show up. Just when we had ourselves a new potential kan aficionado.  ;)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »
I'll be honest, the idea of a speed army did stand out to me when reading the Ork Codex.  I've thought that it would be a good theme for larger scale games.

But another part of me really does like the look of the Kans and Dreads and they work with my dakka boyz army theme.

And my inner role playing game geek likes the in game reason I came up with to use the Big Mek HQ and Kans.  The first battle in this campaign had my boys wipe out the demons, so the Warboss got cocky and he got wiped out in the next battle.  So, with no Warboss left the next biggest Ork is a greasy, grimy, Big Mek is going to lead a lot of left over boys and some tech against the demons.  I just hope I have a more competitive game than the last one.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »
I really like your idea of using a narrative to build your army and what you've come up with totally makes sense.

You can absolutely have a big mek leading a speed freak army. Narrative wise, it would be a must to have a big mek and other meks around to help build and repair all those vehicles. You also don't have to focus on a single flavour of army, especially at the higher points levels. For example; my latest army is a combination of a kan wall (lots of walkers) army and a green tide (big mobs of boyz) army and it plays well. I think if you built a hammer and anvil style army; walkers and big guns being your static element and bikes and trukks and koptas being your moving element, you'd do just fine. I can't wait to see how you fair in your next battle. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #28 on: August 3, 2016, 07:47:06 AM »
Aaaaarrrrgggg!!!!! I see I am too late. (thats what happens when you go on vacation, come back and stuff happens... ::) )

All you non KoS players have recruited a kan wall player,,  :(   

Now, if I can't add in with a timely reply I will add in a late reply.  First things first.
I invite you to join the Way of The Waagh. Just go to THIS LINK
and post a reply that you would like to join. I will try to wake up OD or 007 and get your name on the roster, but I will add your name to the bank account.

Now for the other part. I think you should just add lots of trucks and put your boss on a bike. With all those shoota boys you can move around doing a lot of drive by shootings which are a lot of fun. Put the lootas in trucks too so they can move some to get a better line of fire (if the truck doesn't move too far the lootas can still shoot as normal).

I realize that the non KoS players have already got to you, and you are well on your way to a klanking wall of menace to krump your opponents with, so I wish you the things that make all orks happy: To krump your opponent, To see his army flee, and To hear the lamentations of the players... 8)

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: August 4, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »
It looks like the summoning worked.

I haven't ruled out speed, I just went with a different approach for my first lower point battles.  Being able to move fast is a long term goal for me, I do like the idea of trukks, bikes and stormboys.  I've only just started so I have a lot of experimenting to do.

We'll see how Shootas, Lootas, and a bunch of Kans do against demons next Tuesday night.

Oh, and could you repost the link?  It doesn't seem to be working for me.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #30 on: August 4, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
The Way of the Waaagh can be found here.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: August 4, 2016, 12:36:35 PM »
Thank you

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »
The most recent battle report is up here.

A couple of orkish observation.  I need to get used to orks dying by the boatload.  I blame playing too many video games with dumb AI giving me a false sense of tactical skills.  I also need to get more aggressive with my boyz.  This is the first game I've gotten a load of them into assault and it's fun to roll 33 dice.

Second, the kans were fun.  I envisioned them as a bit of mobile artillery, like the mek guns but being able to move and not die in close combat.  They did alright.  They got off a ton of grotzooka shots in one round and then got locked in close combat and held their own for a few turns.  Plus they looked great.

Thirdly, I now have a new favorite unit, the Deff Dread!  I call him Francis!

He was fun and like a force of nature once he got going.  I'll probably take him again the next game I play, which should be vs. Iron Fists, since I need a break from the psychic phase.

I'm also going to look into some deffkoptas to give me some more speed and mobility to harass the enemy flanks.

I'll say it again, thank you all for your advice.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:08 AM »
It was a great battle and looked like a lot of fun. I know Wyddr said he made some mistakes and his psychic rolls were flat, but he didn't pull any punches with his play, so you pulling off a narrow victory was extremely impressive for a new git.

Some comments;

I completely agree with the need to be more aggressive with the boyz. Orks need to get stuck into combat asap, even shoota boyz.

Having the lootas and shock attack gun in the same unit made your opponents target priority easier. Being an ordinance weapon forces the whole unit to be stationary as well. In a larger army, you would have other juicier targets for him to focus on, but at a small points game, they were just too good to ignore. I would throw him in a unit of grots for the extra wounds and hide him far away, but with good line of sight. The lootas could have been much further away too, having such great long range.

The kans could have been further back too, but his guys are very quick to get into close combat. Splitting them into two groups units would be ideal, but you have three heavy slots filled. The big shootas on the dread don't give you much. If you get the points, extra klaws are fantastic.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 09:53:15 AM »
Thanks, I was kind of surprised I managed to pull this one out too.

I do think he had bad luck on the warp storm rolls but most of his powers did get enough successes to work, usually with one or two successes to spare.

I agree about the loota and S.A.G.  In this low point game it was tough to fit a lot of stuff in, so I figured I'd keep the ordenance together.  In the future, hell yeah I'm going to surround him with grots.  That's like 10 points of ablative armor, or more if I have the points.

I'm finding the Orks have a lot of ways to fill up the limited amount of heavy slots.  I think part of the issues in this game was the terrain.  I think it looked cool but it limited space and line of sight a lot.

The next battle against Wyddr will be 1,000 points so I'll have more to play with, so I might add another Clamp to Francis and maybe a Skorcha.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 05:49:05 PM »
Once we get you to a particular points level, we can start combining army lists  to give you even more heavy slots. If you have four troops and two hq you can split them into two combined arms detachments which unlocks six heavy slots for you. Much more advanced army building, but it is really key for a lot of ork players.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 07:31:36 AM »
Well, a great batrep, good to see the orks in action.
As you have found out orks die by the handful, so that is why the best upgrade for an ork is more orks...

The shoota boys should be in a truck, so you can drive around and do some drive by shootings, great fun. Make sure to give the truck a grot for the it will not die rule, and the truck will last all game (unless your dice roll too low).

OH, wait, your a kan wall player   :'(  Get the shoota boys a nob with the big choppa and use the boys as wounds to get the nob into combat. Two squads of 12-15 shoota boys is a great way to play. 24-30 shots even with bs2 will get something. Make sure that your nice and close so the boys don't miss too much, and what doesn't get killed by shooting you can charge and give em a good ol fashioned krumpin.

As for the kans, always have a unit of boys nearby to bail them out of trouble. The grotzookas are great weapons (for orks) and this should be the only shooty unit you use that doesn't get into combat until it is time to take an objective.

I also agree with the above posters, the mek should be split off into his own squad. Put the lootas is a battle wagon for rolling cover. Make the mek with his wdtd (what does this do?) gun in a empty spot with some grots so he doesn't blow up any boys. I have had terrible luck with the shock attack gun, and so I took it off the mek and made him into a kustom model with other weapons.

As for going faster, I recommend that you get buggies before death coptas. Kit them out with TL rockits and go blow stuff up. They have the same outflank as the coptas with the advantage of not taking LD tests after one of them dies. Sure coptas have a jink save but unless you have "special" dice the coptas will take one or two casualties and then leave the board. While buggies will stay till the last drop of squig juice. Plus you can give buggies skorchas (rockits are better) to roll around a flame stuff is great fun, and after a three or four template skorching, your opponent will make that unit a priority to kill and leave the rest of your army untouched. So you can then get nice and close to give them a krumping.

Congrats on a good game and may you have many more good krumpings
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »
As it is only my 5th or 6th battle I'm still trying things out.  I can't say that I'm a kan wall player or a KOS player as of now.

I liked the Kans.  I saw them as a mobile artillery unit that could survive longer in assault than the mek gunz, which they did.  And yeah, keeping them out of assault would have mean grotzooka blasts.  Those were fun the turn they got off.  The downside was they ate up over twice as many points as the mek gunz.  But now that I've used them, I have a better idea of what they can and can't do from experience.  And I have the option to take them so I can maybe surprise my opponent by shaking up what I take into a fight.

Now that I'm getting into some slightly higher point games, more trukks and a battle wagon seem like good options.  I've done trukks, poorly, in one or two battles and they did help me cross the field of battle a bit more quickly.  We'll have to see.

I also think I will try the Big Mek with grots tactic.  I really want to see that thing in action at least once.  But in the end, I think it may not be great in a lower point game.

Good to hear more about the Kooptas vs. Buggies.  I've read similar things about the pros and cons of each one, especially the leadership tests required of kooptas.

Now here's a question, what do you guys think of Flash Gits?  It looks like they've got respectable range, a more reliable amount of shots each turn than lootas, and the possibility of a better BS when they don't move.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
Taking the koptas as individuals really negates the need for leadership tests and the ability to take the buzzsaw makes them a killer assault unit as well. The buggies armour is a slight advantage over the toughness of the koptas, but they are much more survivable with their armour save and ability to jink.

Instead of buggies, I would just take a trukk as a dedicated transport unit, but drive it around without the passengers. It's five more points than the buggy, but you get an extra hull point and is considered an objective secured unit, as it's taken with a troop choice. You can also pick up passengers in the late game to zoom them to where they need to be.

As for the Flash Gitz, they are expensive for an ork army and take up a very precious heavy slot. Their strength is no better than a big shoota and you may get better AP, but maybe not. With their poor armour save and need to be close to the enemy with their shorter range, I would take the same points in lootas over them any day. Eight lootas have a 66.6% chance of have the same number of shots or better than five Flash Gitz and a 50% chance of being the same or better AP. With double the range and a two higher weapon strength, they are a superior choice as a shooting unit. Now the Flash Gitz do have an additional wound, attack, and strength, but if you are looking to get them into close combat, there are way better options in the codex to choose from. The gitfinda does give the a better BS, but if an ork is remaining stationary 24" from the enemy, there's something wrong with that ork.