So after getting to play quite a few games recently, including some for an Escalation League (where the organizer graciously allowed me to use my homebrew codex!), I have a bit more insight into how the army is playing and what needs changed.
One thing I can say for sure - Martyr Harnesses and Rigged Systems are FUN. Losing a vehicle is far less painful when it takes a handful of elite enemy troopers along with it in a huge fireball. It is also rather hilarious when a chunk is taken out of your own battle line because the enemy managed to pop a few of your rigged vehicles early on before you had a chance to disperse.
With all that said, I've uploaded a new version (see the first post). Update Log:
- Clarified the Specialised Munitions rule as to when ammo counters are allocated.
- Updated Rending Claws to AP 5 to bring them in line with the new Tyranid Codex.
- Noted that vehicles must still test for "The Cult Ascendent!", all counting as Ld 10 for the test. It was brought to my attention that there was no clear answer to what a vehicle does for Leadership tests in 6th edition, merely a mention that vehicles never take Morale tests.
- Updated the Martyr Harness to allow activation at Initiative 10. Between being shot up on the way to combat, Overwatch fire, and being killed before their Initiative step, the Harness wasn't going off in combat often enough. (Also, there was precedent in the new Tyranids Codex of Spore Mines exploding at I10.)
- Added the "Ignores Cover" rule to the Martyr Harness to give it a little more punch, as well as to make working out their effects in an Assault just a little bit easier and less confusion. (Remember, they can be just as dangerous to your own troops, especially when used in Initiate mobs.)
- Improved Guard Shield invulnerable save from 6+ to 5+. They just weren't an attractive enough option when you have to give up your bonus attack in order to take them.
- Added a chance for Rigged Systems to detonate if a vehicle is wrecked. These things are so fun, I wanted to have them going off more often. (Of course, this is still just as dangerous to your own units, especially if you are rigging your Transports to blow...)
- Replaced the Aura of Despair Psychic Power with The Horror.
- Updated the Catalyst Psychic Power to bring it in line with the new Tyranid Codex.
- Added the Bulky special rule to Patriarchs and Ancient Patriarchs.
- Added the Very Bulky special rule to Initiate Packs.
- Added the Primogenitor special rule to the Patriarch unit entry, allowing an army to only ever have one Patriarch or Ancient Patriarch, and requiring him to be your Warlord if he is part of your army and the Cult is the Primary Detachment.
- Allowed Cult Limos to carry Bulky models, and increased their transport capacity to 8 models.
- Reduced Brood Brother Bodyguard Squads minimum size to 3 models, but kept the maximum unit size at 10 models. (This is to allow the possibility of a Patriarch and 3 Ogryn in a Limo.)
- Updated "The Shadow Draws Nigh!" Warlod Trait to bring it in line with how Shadow in the Warp works in the new Tyranid Codex.
- Added a bit to the Tunnel Network rule for Hidden Tunnels, allowing friendly non-vehicle units to "embark" into a tunnel entrance in order to enter Ongoing Reserve, to be redeployed next turn via any available means. This makes tunnels even more useful, and provides an additional incentive for the enemy to occupy or destroy the entrances, which should make for a more exciting game overall.
- Increased the cost of each tunnel entrance by 5 points to reflect the new additional use.