News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Army Help: My first 5th Ed Tau Army.  (Read 1109 times)

Offline GreaterGoodIreland

• When in doubt, railguns.
  • Armies: Tau, Grey Knights
Army Help: My first 5th Ed Tau Army.
« on: July 7, 2010, 06:38:42 AM »
As some of you may know, I haven't played since the 4th Ed, and my old army is MIA at the moment.
So it's time to buy a new one, but I'm a bit split over what sort of army I'd like to buy.

If I can't find my original army, the Tau Battleforce is definitely on the cards (as it gives me a core force for €80 which would otherwise cost me €127.50).

So can you guys sum up what sort of armies you have and ones you've seen for me?

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Army Help: My first 5th Ed Tau Army.
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2010, 07:03:23 AM »
I would build on the Battle Box and what it provides to start with.... In fact I might even just get 2 Battle Boxes, add a Command Suit, and go from there.... thus you could get to a 1K force relitively quickly...

Command Suit (Seperate Purchase)

XV8 Team of 2
Stealth Team of 6

FW team of 12 + Fish
FW team of 12 + Fish
Kroot team of 12
Kroot team of 12

Auxilary figures to suit your fancy....
Pathfinders if you wanted Marker Lights.
A Hammerhead for Lang Ranged Fired Support
a Pair of Broadsides if you want to go with a Suit theme.
etc, etc.

This is what I did to start out with the Tau, except that I traded out the Kroot for a 3rd FW team as I never liked the Kroot (figure wise)....

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline iDay

« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2010, 07:50:20 AM »
I'd recommend starting with the Battleforce, as it's great value for money and gives you a neat core force to work with. Tau are, arguably, characterized by their railguns so it wouldn't be remiss to add a few broadsides or hammerheads next.

You'll also want more crisis suits as they lend massive versatility to you force. On the note of crisis suits, if you're a good modeler, you might want to try magnetizing the hard points. That way you can re-customize each suit as needed, instead of spending trucks of money on dozens of differently configured suits.

Maybe you could give us an idea of how you used to run your old force and what style of play you're looking for?

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
The best thing about the battle force, which you have already identifed as your starting point, is that you can quite literally expand into any style of army. I think its onw of hte BEST battlfe forces, as it also gives you a HQ model in the form of the XV8

I think it's pretty well understood that mechanised tau forces are really the way to go under 5th edition. This doesn't necessarily help your pocket though... and to be honest Moc has hit on a great idea for simply buying two battle forces.

I think things to consider are really from your end unfortunately!?

I'm perhaps not he best person to answer on the style of army I use because I have enough stuff to be able to change this about if i want to. However, have a look through the big list of army lists to get some alternative ideas for army builds.

Offline GreaterGoodIreland

• When in doubt, railguns.
  • Armies: Tau, Grey Knights
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2010, 12:33:56 AM »
I'd recommend starting with the Battleforce, as it's great value for money and gives you a neat core force to work with. Tau are, arguably, characterized by their railguns so it wouldn't be remiss to add a few broadsides or hammerheads next.

You'll also want more crisis suits as they lend massive versatility to you force. On the note of crisis suits, if you're a good modeler, you might want to try magnetizing the hard points. That way you can re-customize each suit as needed, instead of spending trucks of money on dozens of differently configured suits.

Maybe you could give us an idea of how you used to run your old force and what style of play you're looking for?

I used to use Fire Warriors dismounted to deny area to enemy infantry, with railgun heavy support and crisis suits to do the real killing of the army. Then, when the enemy was weak enough, I'd run the FWs up to the enemy objectives in 'fish and finish them off.

I sometimes used Kroot as cheap and disposable shooters against swarm armies in a sort of Roman style checker formation, but I'm not sure how effective that would be in 5th. I suppose it would depend on terrain. However, I'll have plenty of Kroot with the battleforce(s), so I can choose whether or not to use them regardless.

So we're looking at mobile infantry, suit heavy and railgun heavy.
That should give me plenty of options.

Fluff for this army, in case anyone is interested:
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=202985.0

Edit: Modify, not multiply! - oink