News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pts Chaos Knights vs Tyranids - Priority Targets  (Read 866 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
2000pts Chaos Knights vs Tyranids - Priority Targets
« on: November 8, 2021, 09:14:58 PM »
Hey Folks, had a practice game for an upcoming tournament with one of my clubmates with our lists we are bringing for the event.

I am bringing my Chaos Knights

House Qhimos

Iconoclast, with Pinpoint Cruelty, and Frenzied Attackers as their Household Bonds.

Lord of War – Knight Desecrator Fire’s End |
• Thunderstrike Gauntlet
• Warlord – Infernal Quest | Relic – Gauntlet of Ascension
• Vow of Dominance (2cp)

Lord of War – Knight Tyrant Hero’s Bane |
• Plasma Decimator, Volcano Lance, x2 Siege Breaker Cannons, x1
Shieldbreaker Missile
• Corrupted Heirloom (1cp) – Veil of Madrengard
• Vow of Beastslayer (1cp)

Lord of War – Wardogs Dread Hunters |
• Wardog Flames Teeth – Thermal Cannon, Chainglave, Meltagun
• Wardog Fear-Eater – Thermal Cannon, Chainglave, Meltagun
• Wardog Annihilator – Twin Wardog Autocannons, Heavy Stubber

Lord of War – Wardogs Ruinators |
• Wardog God Reaper – Thermal Cannon, Chainglave, Meltagun
• Wardog Death’s Embrace Thermal Cannon, Chainglave, Meltagun
• Wardog Soulbreaker – Twin Wardog Autocannons, Heavy Stubber

75pts for summoning.

My Opponent was running Tyranids. I'm not as familiar with all the special rules, and equipment he had, but here was what he was running.

Swarmlord
Broodlord
Deathleaper

Unit of 6 Venomthropes

Unit of 4 rippers

five units of 20 genestealers.

Mission was priority target. One objective in the middle, one in each quarter and table quarter deployment.

Tyranids deployed first. One unit of genestealers deployed in a hive node, deathleaper and rippers deepstrike. otherwise, characters hiding out of line of site and genestealers filling up his side of the board.

I deployed my Walord on my left flank (top left of table, My Tyrant held my bottom right side (waiting to fire upon the swarmlord when it pops out. The Wardogs clog the area infront of my objective.

My Secondary objectives were the following.

Engage on all fronts (gain points for having units in 3 tablequarters, or more points for 4)
No prisoners (1pt for every 10 wounds killed of enemy models)
Priority Target (3pts for holding either players priority target, or 5 VP for holding both)

His were

Behind Enemy Lines (have units in my deployment zone, or bonus points for multiple units)
Teleport Homer (do actions in my deployment zone for points)
Priority target

The objectives in our deployment zones were priority targets.

Turn 1

Tyranids go first, using Swarmlord, and some strategems, he is able to get two units of genestealers to charge into my Wardogs, holding me in place. I kill a heap of them, but he chips away a bunch of damage from a couple of my Wardogs

He otherwise moves everything forward, keeping the broodlord, and swarmlord hidden.

End of his turn, he gets 3 VP for Priority Target.

For the Chaos Knights, I'm pretty stuck where I am. My Desocrator moves to the top of the table to steal the objective in the top left quarter from the Tyranids, while the Autocannon Wardogs fire into a distant unit of Genestealers (trying to chip some away).

The Tyrant Summons a changecaster of tzeentch using Demonic Ritual. I spent 5cp on the Tyrant to allow it to fire a shield breaker missle at a target out of LoS, and to re-roll all hit rolls. It fires it's shieldbreaker missle into the Broodlord, but misses. Otherwise, it unleashes firepower into a distant unit of genestealers, but it's high powered, low number of shot weapons are not terrible effective against hordes of infantry.

In Combat, the fight with the Wardogs and two units of genestealers continue. One of the genestealer units is mostly wiped out, but using a fight-twice strat, he tears down one of the wardogs.

End of my turn, I score just 3vp for holding my Priority target.

Chaos Knights 3vp, Tyranids 3vp

Turn 2

Due to me stealing one of the objectives from the Tyranids, he only ends up holding one, for just 5vp.

He brings in the rippers and Deathleaper in the back left of the table (to help score his secondary objectives, while the last genestealer unit comes on in the back of his table side at a node.

He falls back from combats with all my knights, In the bottom left, so he can sneak some models onto my objective, and tie up more wardogs, in the top left so he can pull more models onto the objective and try and steal it from the desecrator.

Swarmlord uses his tricks to move twice, charge one of my wardogs (and kill it), while otherwise I get swamped with Genestealers again. Deathleaper starts doing actions for teleport homer.

End of his turn, he has 4vp for behind enemy lines, and 5 for priority target.

For the Knights, I really need to start breaking out of my deployment zone. Tyrant focus's fire onto the swarmlord, but blasts it to slag  with it's first shot from the Volcano Lance. Wardogs shoot and fight in combat to thin out the genstealers even more (some flee from morale as well) while the desecrator keeps fighting for the objective it's on.

End of my turn, I score 3vp for priority, and I hold one objective.

Chaos Knights 11, Tyranids 17

Turn 3

At this point, the main thrust of genestealers have been dealt with, so my opponent starts clogging up as many objectives as he can in an effort to keep scoring points. At this point, the genetsealers in my table side are all dead, or failed charges to get back into combat. He does score more points for behind enemy lines, and for teleport homer. He does succeed in pulling down a third wardog.

For the Knights, I can finally move. I move the two autocannon wardogs north. One to start dealing with the Deathleaper and rippers, the other to (eventually) hold the top left objective so that the desecrator can advance. Tyrant pushes to the middle of the board, while the two last melee wardogs advance to the middle and the right. Shooting clears up most of the rippers, allowing my one autocannon wardog to charge the deathleaper, and the rippers. Stopping any actions. Otherwise, my other units start mopping up genestealers with concentrated fire and shooting. The Changecaster stays back to hold my home objective.

Chaos Knights 23, Tyranids 43vp

Turn 4 + 5

At this stage, I am able to keep spreading out, and my opponent no longer has anything which can really threaten my army. One wardog slags the broodlord with meltagun fire, while other units just start whittling down everything else. the Wardog which kills the broodlord, charges and kills all six venomthropes in melee, while the wardog in combat with the broodlord blasts the tyranid beast to death with close ranged autocannon fire.

In turn 5, my opponent has only four genestealers left, so is able to hold his own objective, but thats it. In my turn 5, I finish off those last units, and take his objective.

I end up killing 130 wounds worth of models, which gets me 13vp for no prisoners, which brings the final score to

Chaos Knights 87 to 74vp for the Tyranids.

-----

It was a great game, and looked bad for me in the beginning. my whole army was trapped, and unable to move for nearly 3 turns, which made it very hard for me to score any victory points. unfortunately, the genestealers ran out of steam pretty quickly, and reinforcements couldn't arrive quick enough to keep my bottled up.

In hindsight, I should have deployed the tyrant and desecrator in front, as he can't really hurt those two units, and they can fall-back and shoot, which the wardogs can't. Overall, a fun game, and it was a cool battle.

Thanks for reading.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: 2000pts Chaos Knights vs Tyranids - Priority Targets
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2021, 11:21:50 PM »
That was a really cool and interesting matchup. Don't know much else to say, other than that I had no idea that Chaos armigers were called war dogs!

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2021, 09:30:00 AM »
That was a really cool and interesting matchup. Don't know much else to say, other than that I had no idea that Chaos armigers were called war dogs!

Thanks for the comment! It was a fun battle, and an army with so many scoring units can be a tough match-up for the Knights.

They are indeed called War Dogs, which IMO is a cooler name ha ha. The Chaos Knights have different names for all their units.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2021, 07:53:36 PM »
Yeah, had a look at the Chaos knights, it wasn't ever a faction I looked into too much. There's some cool designs there. Your paint job suits them well, too.

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »
Yeah, had a look at the Chaos knights, it wasn't ever a faction I looked into too much. There's some cool designs there. Your paint job suits them well, too.

Thanks man, I had a lot of fun painting these. A nice change from painting infantry lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »
Wow, that's quite a turn 4/5--130 wounds? Ouch.

Quite the swing there--I thought you weren't going to pull it off.

How do you like playing Knights? I love the models, but I always sort of figured gameplay with them would be a bit dull. Haven't usually encountered a pure Knights force (usually just an army with one attached), so I don't know a whole lot about them.