News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The charmed shield, clearly I'm missing something  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
The charmed shield, clearly I'm missing something
« on: November 5, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »
So the charmed shield negates the first hit your model takes on a roll of a 2.

Great. That is great if your get cannon'd, howeve if you are shot by a sling, a xbow or a gnobbler spits your way, it's simply wasted.

What am I missing?   

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: The charmed shield, clearly I'm missing something
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »
I think what you are missing is that a character doesn't usually get hit by a sling, unless he is all alone that is. When in a unit it wouldn't be unlikely for the character to first receive a hit in close combat which could be in a challenge and there it might matter quite a bit. It is a cheap item though so the point is basically that on the off-chance you might ignore a successful hit scored by that nasty Vampire with a killing blowing great sword on 2+, great huh?

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »
Right, so it is doing what I think its doing. Merely an insurance. And I'm guessing it's only taken oif you find yourself with a spare 5 points at the end of the army build process.

Also in your example Benis its how doe the dynamic work? I mean if the Vampire hits you 4 times one of which is KB do you ignore this? I'm guessing your emeny will want you to ignore one of the mundane attacks, no?

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »
Also in your example Benis its how doe the dynamic work? I mean if the Vampire hits you 4 times one of which is KB do you ignore this? I'm guessing your emeny will want you to ignore one of the mundane attacks, no?

Hmm, that is a seriously good question I didn't mean to raise... In the case of Killing Blow it doesn't matter since that happens on the to wound roll but say if poison was used instead in which case I would say randomise it due to the fact that all the attacks ought to happen at the same time so no hit is actually before another hit.

But yes, it is a 5 pts item with a cute bonus so if you have the points to spare why not upgrade your mundane shield to a magic one?

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »

Hmm, that is a seriously good question I didn't mean to raise... In the case of Killing Blow it doesn't matter since that happens on the to wound roll but say if poison was used instead in which case I would say randomise it due to the fact that all the attacks ought to happen at the same time so no hit is actually before another hit.

But yes, it is a 5 pts item with a cute bonus so if you have the points to spare why not upgrade your mundane shield to a magic one?

Many thanks Benis, as always your Nordic wsdom enlightens us all.

ah yes KB is on the wound roll, poison as you point out is more relevenat. I wonder if anyone has come up against this issue...

I see the Charmed shield in a lot of lists and was really wondering why it's so popular, thought I had missed something.
I suppose a lot of builds round out at 1995, 2495, 2995 etc    ???

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »
Remember that a mundane shield in itself costs usually a few points so the Charmed Shield is exceptionally cheap upgrade for the off-chance of withstanding a hit from something nasty.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2012, 08:20:50 AM »
Good point.

I'm on a mission to GW over lunch to ask about another issue* I'll ask about the poison thing too...

(*do hellseekers have to single handedly destroy a unit to get their buff or can they be part of a multi combat.)

had a nice long chat with a very nice man called Saville Sean at GW Oxford Circus.

The Hellseeker thing, he has no idea about. However his opinion on the Charmed shield / poison / Killing blow was that...

As Killing Blows are normally worked out first the Charmed shield comes into play here. tHis is obvioulsy an opinion and not a hard andd fast ruling. in the case of a discrepency, as with all things, roll off.   
« Last Edit: November 5, 2012, 10:31:35 AM by Arquarian »

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »
Also as fantasy includes closed lists your opponent wont know you have one and quite often its fire the big guns with the longest range first
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
Most flying characters don't like cannons and have to endure 1 turn of fire  before charging (as you need to be able to see each other). I have opponents who will "waste" a small rubbishy unit's shootin on my flying characters to get rid of the shield, so this is something to watch out for.
If you are in a unit, its is a cheap insurance against a failed look out sir.

In warriors of Chaos, it is either the same price or cheaper for heros/lords and allows a wizard to take a shield in the first place.