News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Informative stuff about orks...  (Read 3769 times)

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
Informative stuff about orks...
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »
Ok... I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting pretty stoked about greenskins in 8th... Here is a good link about orks...

Oh hell no are you having a video where someone is reading all the stats out of the book - Rummy

I was personally amazed at how tough trukks seem to be... Compared to them blowing up when you looked at them wrong in 7th... :) The battle wagons seem like propa rolling fortresses!

I'm really excited that boyz are back on the table as effective units... So they look pretty normal from what we expect, but are str 4...  Choppa adds and extra attack so thay are doing what we expect... Something cool is that with 20 or more, we get an extra attack... With some other buffs from characters, you can can even another attack... And there is a psyker power that adds another attack... You can see how that adds up fast... Make me wanna bring a horde of them... :)

Another interesting thing is that buggies have 6 wounds if I heard right... That will make them very survivable considering how cheap they are... In fact, everything seems much more rugged in this edition, so no more evaporating ork armies...

A note on leadership... The mob rule allows units to use their number of models as their leadership, but also allows them to use the leadership of ork units within 6 inches. This means that a unit of 30 boyz next to another unit gives that unit leadership 30... Nice... :)

Adam
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:39:13 PM by The GrimSqueaker »

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Informative stuff about orks...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:07:39 PM »
G'day Adamscurr!
Am not an Ork player, however, am really glad they brought back the mob rule. It is such an Orky thing to do. I don't know why they took it out.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »
Sorry about the vid link... Thought it was ok since it was someone else doing the rule breaking! :)

As for the mob rule, I'm glad it came back... I was really frustrated with the orky morale in 7th... It kinda made my style of play obsolete... In fact, 7th made every ork play style obsolete... :)

Adam

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
Sorry about the vid link... Thought it was ok since it was someone else doing the rule breaking! :)

Orks gotta ork.  ;)

The Mob Rule... rule does sound very interesting and dangerous. Might cause shifting target priorities which doesn't lend well to unit removal until the later game.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »
What I like most so far is that you get to choose who gets removed. I was getting really tired of my nob leading from the back cause I didn't want a round of bolters killing him.

Adam

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
Hey Grimsqueeker!
The mob rule isn't about danger. It's a fun rule.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »
Speaking as an opponent.  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »
Oh gosh no, Grimsqueaker!
The sight of that many Orks, in one unit, charging up the table... No,mate, no. Not fun at all.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »
One interesting tidbit regarding large mobs: given the new cover rules, it will be damned hard to get them all a cover save.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 05:01:48 PM »
One interesting tidbit regarding large mobs: given the new cover rules, it will be damned hard to get them all a cover save.
It will also be "damned hard" to get them all in KFF range since yet again the KFF rewrite remains in effect (KFF originally targeted units but was FAQ nerf batted to units many years ago).  Bright side is that with the expanded range it makes it more doable, just have to keep it in mind when moving.

Even Brighter side there's lots of great stuff with the Orkz in this new edition.  Sure there's stuff that doesn't make much sense (like Lootas retaining the roll once for whole squad but other D3 or D6 shooting units don't) or Nobz outside of the Nob Squad not having the Keeping Order rule (please let that be an oversight quickly FAQd!), but we have Big Gunz that become independent units after deployment (I'll be taking a 6 pack every time, now for only 1 Heavy Slot!), Kanz loose the cowardly grot rule (and dread head players rejoiced), Burnas and Skorchas still can work without the templates (kinda), 3 Dreads to a slot but each gets to be independent, Mob Rule of 7th is dead Long Live the classic - err new Mob Rule; there's a lot of great stuff.

Is it perfect, not at all.  But its a thousand times better than the 7th Ed book.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
So Odd.. I'm gonna try out a few types of lists... Typically I like a pair of battlewagons supported by a lot of trukks and buggies, kopters, etc... But the Dread Mob seems to be making a comeback from what I can see... I'm intrigued with how tough these walkers are...

I plan to go buy the rulebook this weekend hopefully... How does cover work in this edition? You mentioned having to get every model into cover?

Adam

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 07:42:54 PM »
Sure there's stuff that doesn't make much sense (like Lootas retaining the roll once for whole squad but other D3 or D6 shooting units don't)

So I have to say I view this as a positive, as it allows yo to re-roll the die with command points, giving a much better chance of getting a good roll. And with a full 15 man Boyz squad, even a roll of 3 could hurt, and a roll of 6 be down right dastardly! The fact you are rolling on a d3 means you have a 33% chance to get what you want.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 12:59:35 AM »
Sure there's stuff that doesn't make much sense (like Lootas retaining the roll once for whole squad but other D3 or D6 shooting units don't)

So I have to say I view this as a positive, as it allows yo to re-roll the die with command points, giving a much better chance of getting a good roll. And with a full 15 man Boyz squad, even a roll of 3 could hurt, and a roll of 6 be down right dastardly! The fact you are rolling on a d3 means you have a 33% chance to get what you want.
In an addition they are advertising as faster and more balanced, its just an inequity when there are so much more D3 and D6 weapons out there that one (and only one to my knowledge) is specifically singled out saying that you must roll for the unit and not on a per model basis.  Personally I think it should always be on a per unit basis regardless if the D3/D6 is for number of shots or Damage per shot, but due to all the other profiles not having that addendum while Lootas retained it just makes me scratch my head.

But the Dread Mob seems to be making a comeback from what I can see... I'm intrigued with how tough these walkers are...

I plan to go buy the rulebook this weekend hopefully... How does cover work in this edition? You mentioned having to get every model into cover?
The Dreads are about as tough as Wraithlords.  Am I speaking literally or figuratively, a little of both actually, I haven't seen what changes may have come to the Wraithlord in this edition, but compared to 3rd-7th the Wraithlord is a fair comparison to the new rules for the Dread, check it out.

As for your question on cover, its kinda like everything is Area Terrain (if you remember what Area Terrain was), with a modifier on saves.  Check out pg 7 of the download rule pdf, I'd give you the book pg number but I don't have that on me at the moment.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »
Thanks Odd... I'll give the rulebook a good, hard look... And I am a fan of area terrain. I liked it back in 5th because it made some sense. Even though your model was standing tall and waving his choppa around in a dramatic and properly orky stance, it doesn't mean he also did hit the deck when a machine gun is trying to mow him and his boyz down! :) Meaning, I think 7th edition's method of true line of site discounts the fact that the models represent moving targets who are navigating terrain, not static figures...

As for the loota thing... I actually like the single roll verses independently rolling for every model. It makes them more unreliable and orky verses the statistically average rolls you would get if every model rolled separately... PLus, it would slow things down... AND, it is a good time when you roll that 5 or 6 with 15 lootas and watch things get bipped! :)

Adam