News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Orks vs. Eldar: Suggestions Welcome  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
Orks vs. Eldar: Suggestions Welcome
« on: December 2, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »
Hello fellow Orks, got a battle coming up next week or so against an Eldar player.  It's a 500 point game, this is the scenario:

Round 1: Hide and Seek
Point level: 500
Scenario: Dawn of War, The Scouring
Terrain: Temperate Wilderness

I'm expecting the other player to take a formation like this based on a battle he played against Wyddr a few months ago:

Autarch w/Hawk Wings, Lasblaster, Warlord (Ambush of Blades)

6 Swooping Hawks w/Exarch
5 Warp Spiders

10 Guardians w/Scatter Laser
10 Guardians w/Scatter Laser

I'm thinking of taking something like this:

Warboss w/ 'Eavy Armour, Boss Pole, Shoota, Big Choppa, Da Finkin' Kap

10 Shoota Boyz w/ Big Shoota

10 Shoota Boyz w/ Big Shoota, Boss Nob, Boss Pole, Big Choppa
10 Shoota Boyz w/ Big Shoota, Boss Nob, Boss Pole, Big Choppa

5 Loobas w/ 3 Ammo Runts

Deffkopta w/ TL Big Shoota
Deffkopta w/ TL Big Shoota

I figure more smaller groups will mean that he won't be able to attack all my units, the loobas can stay out of sight and barrage his infantry, and the deffkoptas can provide harassment on the flanks and late game objective grabbing.  Any thoughts, suggestions or comments?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Orks vs. Eldar: Suggestions Welcome
« Reply #1 on: December 2, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »
I would try throwing all your Orks into trucks. You'll need the speed to get across the table and engage him. And gives the Orks a buffer from bring shot.

Probably drop the diff koptas for that and maybe some larger on the warboss to throw all three squads into trucks.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2016, 08:25:32 AM »
I would second that recommendation, especially if you are sticking with shootas. You need to close the gap with eldar and get stuck into close combat as soon as possible.

The other option is to take slugga boyz and drop the big shootas. Without range weapons you won't be tempted to shoot and allow you to run every turn. If you go this route, be sure to take large units of 20-30 boys. Adding a pain boy would help too.

The koptas can be very useful at tying up his units. Charge them into combat quickly. With their high toughness and the elder's low strength, they should survive long enough to effectively neutralize an enemy unit. Outflank them and come up behind his guardians or turboboost up the side of the board turn 1 to get close enough for a turn 2 charge. Just keep them out of line of sight. It's not worth their three shots to stay in line of sight of the enemy. Hide them and save them for close combat where they will be much more valuable.

With that same idea in mind, remember he has 'battle focus' and can dart in and out of cover. Don't feel you have to leave your unit exposed to fire during the shooting phase. If he's smart, all of his units should be in cover or out of line of sight at the end of each of his turns. You shouldn't expose your units to try and work around this. Your primary goal is to get enough orks close enough to get into close combat. If you lose sight of that and get distracted by the shooting phase, he can bait you into exposing yourself to devastating eldar return fire. Smaller units of orks are better at hiding, larger units are better at absorbing damage. Which way you go will really depends on how the board is typically set up. If there is light terrain or little or no line of sight blocking terrain, a large unit is better, where the opposite is true for heavy cover.

20 boyz with a nob with a big choppa joined by a pain boy is only 185 points. Take two.

Add in your x5 lobbas and you still have 40 points. You can add more boys, a kopta, or upgrade nobs with power claws if you trim a boy or two.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  You've given me some things to ponder.  If I keep the Deffkoptas, I may use them to tie up his troops so they can't shoot while the boys make their approach.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: December 5, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
It's a great tactic. Watch out for overwatch and don't forget the option to jink them for a save against rending shots. You care more about them surviving and getting into close combat than being able to shoot next turn. I'd suggest dropping the lobbas as his hawks and spiders can get to them very easily and make short work of them. That would give you more points for koptas, maybe even add in a buzzsaw.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2016, 11:12:21 AM »
So, after some thought, I think I'm going to try out a Kult of Speed approach.  I know this will make Skeetergod smile.  A Warboss and 3 units of Boyz in Trukks and a small unit of 5 Warbikers.  Thought about Deffkoptas instead of Bikers, but I want to try the Bikers out.  We'll see what happens on Thursday night.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »
Same idea with the bikers, as with the koptas. Jink to keep them alive (if their save is negated by ap, which most eldar stuff will) and get them into combat as soon as possible. Stall his shooting phase by dominating the assault phase.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
Once again, thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  Dog, I was able to engage quickly and keep my opponent from using his shooting too often.  The battle was bonkers, Wyddr will be doing a batrep soon, he played host and ref for our friend and I to help keep things moving quickly.  From the bottom of turn 1 until the end of the game in turn 7 it was basically a non-stop bar room brawl between the Orks and Eldar.  In the end, there was only my Warboss, 2 Warbikers and one Swooping Hawk left on the field.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2016, 11:03:14 PM »
Sounds like you had yourself a proper good fight. Glad I could help with the advice. I'm looking forward to the battle report, which are done so well by Wyddr.

Have you had a chance to get much of your force painted? We'd love to see some pics of your army. I've been a little lax with my project log, but starting one on the project board is a great way to help keep you motivated in developing your army.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 02:04:41 AM »
So far I have only painted one ork.  I was working on a couple of other minis, some skeletons, knights and orcs I got through a kickstarter, to get some practice.  Now that I've got some minis under my belt, it is time to start working on my army.