News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Builder Campaign 500 point start.  (Read 2641 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Builder Campaign 500 point start.
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
Call out to all fellow warbosses to help Grow the waagh!!

I've joined in with a local 40k builder tournament.  This starts towards the end of the month.  There are 12 players and as far as I'm aware I'm the only one flying the waaagh banner.  I think I might be being written off because of my choice of dex but I love the Tide so I want to prove the doubters wrong. 

Essentially the campaign style tournament starts off with 500 points for the first month in which 4 games are played.  After that month we add 250 points to the list and do this every month until we reach 1500.

Now, those that are familiar with my Ork army know that my Klan of choice is Goffs, however I want to use this as a chance to expand my army with new units rather than just use what I have existing already.  Because of this (and I can hear Skeet rushing to my aid already) I want to branch out into the kult of speed a bit more.  I feel like at the 1500 point level lots of trukk boyz and bikes will be more competitive than my usual combination of kans and boyz.

I had my first game yesterday and this is what I took.

1 Warboss attack squig, power klaw, eavy armour, boss pole.

11 Ork shoota boyz including big shoota and nob with PK and Eavy Armour
1 Trukk boarding planks

12 Loota Boys

2 Deff koptas (basic loadout) 

Total 496.

So my first practice game at 500 points saw me take on space marines.  I faced

1 Librarian, force sword, (dont know what psychic powers)
10 Tactical Marines with plasma cannon
2 Melta attack bikes,
5 devastators with 2 plasma, 1 heavy bolter and 1 missile launcher 

I won this first meeting a lot more comfortably than I first thought but I think that was due to some luck on my part.  At one stage my lootas were threatened by the attack bikes on their flank but they pulled 3 shots each out of the bag causing 3 unsaved wounds and making the remaining bike retreat 15" effectively taking it out the rest of the game.

The shoota boyz in the trukk were very effective and wiped out the devastators bar the lone bolter sgt in turn 2 and then went on to tie up the large tactical squad in CC for the remainder of the game.  The Libby issued a challenge which my nob took up much to the insult of the warboss.  The Libby missed and the nob promptly sliced the Libby up with his power klaw.  The game was won from this point with the last few turns mopping up the last straggling beakies.

But this is the issue now... I'm not sure that this list would have been as effective without the luck.  The lootas were good and put out silly amounts of high strength shots at this points level.  The shootas are a must and so is the trukk for the flavour I want to go with.  The Warboss kills things dead when they need to be and with the nob to take on challengers shouldn't be picked out in challenges so can make up the combat resolution that a small squad of boyz would otherwise struggle with.  But is he the best choice to lead the list.

When the tournament starts proper the HQ you chose to start must be taken every time, his wargear can change but the character can not. (so this is a big decision)

I am effectively asking for criticism of the 500 points you see listed and suggestions for tweaks or more competitive entries. 

Secondly I would like suggestions for the next 250 points to add next month so I can get to work painting it up.

Thirdly if there is interest I would like to make this into a regular contribution to the Ork forum where you can follow my Warboss rise to glory and infamy

Cheers Guys

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Builder Campaign 500 point start.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:07:13 PM »
Looks like a good list for the points. I hope you are splitting the deff coptas into two squadrons of one.

Now if this were me, I would downgrade the boss to a big mek, with burna, boss pole, armor, and attack squig. (use the extra points to add a 12th boy to the truck) Then have the big mek with the lootas, as lootas don't have the option for a nob or LD upgrade.

Remember orks are about the mob not the hero, and the big mek is cheep. If you wish you could make his only kit upgrade a boss pole as he does come with either a slugga or shoota.

For your next army points upgrade add in a unit of shoota boys in a truck. Give the nob the big shoota and boss pole, and give the truck red paint (a 7" move will add that much more to the effective range of the shootas).
Then for every 250 point upgrade add in another truck boy squad.

Here is my 1500 point army where I went with rockit buggies rather than deff coptas, and a FW flakka truck.

Hope to see pictures soon of your aspiring KoS army as it develops
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »
Thanks for your comments Skeet.  Ive been thinking about this for a little while and I haven't really got much further in deciding on a final list just yet but I've had fun in play testing a few things. 

Here are some thoughts.

The rules of this campaign allow you to pick the warlord trait but whatever you take to start is what you have forever throughout the campaign.  Obviously we're stuck with the rule book ones and I think the most useful for the list will be re rolling 1s when shooting at enemies on objectives.   

Once the warlord is chosen he must remain the same (albeit for wargear changes).  That is the reason why the warboss cant be downgraded to a mek as I need the warboss to open up nob bikers as troops. 

The club where we play is usually terrain heavy so I am usually provided with an abundance of cover that is better than the KFF so I don't need to lose points on it there.

The lootas are and have been game changers (not winners but changers) at critical points so far so theyre staying. Its funny to hear new codecies (Tau and marines) crying cheese at my lootas omg overpowered!

The only thing i'm not convinced of is the deffkoptas... ive run them a few times for them to do nothing but run away and offer up easy kill points. I'm thinking about replacing these with the first lot of bikers and maybe dropping the lootas by a couple to make points for a couple more bikes.

I played a game at 1000 points last night again play testing things before the campaign starts and I took the following.

Warboss as before
Bigmek KFF
3 x 12 shoota boyz with nob PK in trukk RPJ boaring planks
24 slugga boyz on foot (warboss went here)
12 lootas

I was amazed with how well the shoota boyz in trukks did.  They have an amazing threat range and speed and I ran them all in support of eachother and the sheer damage they did was stunning.  Although it felt dirty and wrong not getting my Orks into CC (still a Goff at heart)  So I definitely know my first few points increase upgrades will trukk boy squads.   We also played a test game at 750 which saw the blood angel player take a storm raven which will trouble alot of players at this points level i suspect but the lootas took care of that in one turn so im not worried about AA at all.

I set up in a corner away from a couple of his small assault marine squads so I could isolate them a few at a time.

He ran lots of 5 man squads (which I think was his biggest mistake)

My first turn saw my shooting remove 2 squads of 5 marines with combined effort of 2 trukk boy squads and the lootas and some poor armour saves on his part.. I think my boyz were packing beakie shell breaker rounds.  His third squad moved behind cover out of picture.

In his desperation he deep struck his reserve squads right in amongst my boyz... He was far too aggressive with these but the multiple flamer templates did a job on the slugga boyz killing 10 or so.

The return fire of all the squads combined over a few turns and a close combat round saw them mopped up to a man.  I did mistakenly accept a challenge against his chaplain in the last round with my warboss (this was mainly as a chance for me to get to grips with challenge rules as Ive never had a challenge issued) which I have learnt from and shall not be repeating the same mistake.

Result beakies dead to a man all objectives firmly in Orky hands
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:20:29 PM by -V- »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
As you are finding out the truck boy squads are definitely useful units for an ork army. I too love my drive by boys (shootas in a truck) but choppa boys still have their place.

As for the challenge, that is why you have a nob in the squad. The nob takes the challenge and usually dies, while the boys and other characters shred the rest of the squad.

One trick I have taken up is giving the nob the big shoota. You can upgrade one in ten boys to a big shoota, then upgrade one to a nob. Well, one of those big shoota boys just gets promoted. By giving the nob the big shoota, you add in precision shots to his repertoire,  taking out those pesky flamers from a marine squad is a hoot.

One other thing you may want to consider is adding cybork to the warboss. The invuln save sure comes in handy, and in this edition you can use cybork saves a lot more than last edition.

Loved those pics of your army in action. So, I am giving you five favoritism teef, you will see them in your account next time I update it.

Waaagh on!!!
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »
Yay TOOFS!!! Should be well on the way to buying a krumpin stick!

Ok so Ive had a few more thoughts on my initial list... and here is the main idea I had...

If I drop the deffkoptas and 2 lootas and the power klaw off of the shoota boys nob then I think that frees up enough points for me to buy 4 bikers or 3 bikers and upgrade my warboss to ride a bike with them.  What are the thoughts on this?  What are your thoughts on this?  I've not found the deffkoptas to do much at all except run away lol.

The first round of the campaign is this coming tuesday (25th) and things have to be painted by then so I am frantically painting bike in case I do decide to go with them. 

We're also starting to see the first few lists being submitted from other players so here are a flavor of the things Im likely to face...

Blood Angels
 HQ:
Reclusiarch w/ combi-flamer 140

Troops:

5 x Death company
1 x power fist
Razorback w/heavy flamer

5 x Death company
1 x power fist
Razorback w/heavy flamer

Space Marines
Liberian 65

Troops

Tactical squad 70. 120
Sergeant with chain sword and storm bolter 5
Heavy bolter 10
Drop pod 35

Vanguard veteran squad 95. 185
5 plasma pistols 75
5 jump packs 15

Devastator squad 70. 130
Lascannon 20
Multi melta 10
Plasma cannon 15
Missile launcher 15

I know I will be facing an Iron Hands army similar to the one above as well.

Thoughts on my chances/ tactics to employ against these lists?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
You know... Bikers are always a good idea, of course a boss on a warbike has the advantage of being immune to instant death from double toughness hit (nothing in the game is S12). However, I would wait until you get to the 1k size games to add bikers.

Bikers are good, but like all things ork, they don't work well in small numbers.  Maybe trade in the death coptas for rockit buggies instead. At least a buggy doesn't have to take an LD test..

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #6 on: April 3, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »
The campaign has begun in earnest, the first shots fired and the first 'eads krummped!  April 1st was the first official game and to get things underway my first opponent was Imperial Guard.  I squared off against 2 squads of 10 vets 1 command squad in chimera and 1 leman russ. My lootas turned both units of vets into squishy pink paste in the first 2 turns whilst my trukk bum rushed towards the leman russ at full speed managing to lower the boarding plank against it by turn 2 or 3 I cant remember and after that it was just a mop up operation.  God I love playing against Guard.

Now game 2 has me facing a much tougher prospect.  A 500 point Saim Hain list of 15 jetbikes, 1 autarch on jet bike and 5-6 warpspiders.  Now I have to say I am completly at a loss how to beat this guy.  I cant compete with him on objectives he will always likely win with 5 troop choices able to swoop in on everything.  I cant out manoeuvre him yet as I have only the 1 trukk and 2 deffkoptas at this points level and I doubt I'll even be able to get close to them with their pesky assault moves and battle focus.  Fellow gods of the Waaagh I need your help on this one.

Also as a side note its now time to start thinking about the next increase of points to 750 so that I can get things painted and ready in time for may 1st painting deadline.  The 500 points I am using now can change so its effectively a fresh start but the warboss has to remain the same aside from his wargear.  I know the talk from other players is suggesting that I will be seeing Landraiders, wraithknights and Riptides/remora drones and storm ravens at the next points level so as I still want to go the speed freaks route what would your 750 point lists be?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: April 3, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
Congrats on the first win, a good time for sure  :)

As for the next points, add in another truck load of boys with nob as you have now (so your list would have two trucks of drive by boys). Then for the extra points left over put in a rockit buggy or two. If you need to, drop a deff copta to field more rockit buggies. Twin link fast vehicles are an orks best friend.

As for your future eldar opponent, all jet bikes is a hard army to play and win with, so unless he is a really good player he has less than a one in six chance at winning (luck of the dice will be his only hope). Use your lootas to take out a bike squad a turn, and use the drive by boys to run interference for the lootas,  to keep the lootas out of CC so they can keep shooting. Have your deff coptas go autarch hunting, this will keep in focused on the wrong thing trying to protect his autarch while you dakka the rest of his army. Then near the end if your truck hasn't been shot out from under the drive by boys, have it move onto an objective and dismount the boys to claim it.

I used to play an almost all jet bike Saim Hann army, and while it is really cool looking it really takes a chess master mentality to use it effectively and actually win a game.

Good hunting and Waaagh on!