News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Bluu In Da Phaes"  (Read 3956 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
"Bluu In Da Phaes"
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »
Hey Boyz... Me and me mek's ave been busy recently... we decided to start using the 5 AOBR sets of orks dat were collecting dust in da cellar, so we started to build... Here is how dings went so far....

But first da story, cus yah all know dat we orks luve a story.

Bluu In Da Phaes (BIDP).... all started out way back in da day of 3rd ed... we had a few boys and their faces were blue instead of Green (actually I was testing some different washes back in the days of true Ink)... anyway... Me Fantasy Orks were mingling with me Space Orks... and the clan was formed... we went to war several times, and we never lost a game over many many years of gaming... (when we won, we won ~~ when we ran away, we was only going ta get more boys ~~ and then there were a few times that we all got wiped out, so no witnesses means dat da battle never really took place, cus ya can't prove it).. anyway, we never lost. Along come da 5th ed and seriously cool Codex and some wicked new figure too (Woot)... We older boys decide dat da AOBR box set is too good to pass up, so we gets a set... dump da SM's for mor Boys (trade), never even get outta da store, and get an chance to repeat... so for $150.00 we goes home wit 4 full sets of AOBR Orks (woot)... a few weeks later I gets da chance to trade some more SM\s for another set of AOBR Orks (seamed like no-one wanted them)…. Den I gather da Mek’s togetha and start figuring a way to build a unique and “Fun” army wit dem all. So, since they have been Screaming (till their "Bluu in da Phaes") since the 3rd Edition, I figured that I would keep that theme going but with a more modern feel and look to it...

First came da list (or ten/thirty, as I didn’t get it right on dat first try).. but for any “Fun” list, you need to have some balance as well as good old fashioned arse kicking power from time to time… so I wanted good troops to start with (10 Knobs wit a warboss make a pretty solid Troop… so dats were the list started)… I then figured out that I wanted them on bikes.. so the rest of the army would have to be fast as well (because I likes speed, and red paint)… So I figured that I would need a couple trukks as well (with boys in there of course)… after that I needed one of each FOC slot at least… but the Knobs started as Elites, so no more of them… on with a Fast Attack choice, well I had a bucket load of Deffkopta’s already so that choice was easy… now for a Heavy support… Hmm the Killa Kans looked cool (and I could build them from junk,,,, but then the new Battle Wagon box came out, and one just sorta fell into my hands one day.. so a Battle Wagon it would be… I was still a few points shy for 1700 (local favourite size)… so I figured what could I add to help as much as possible (or be fun to build).. I messed around with Snikrot, (I sucked in his usage on the table, so back to the drawing board)… then I realized that a Kustom Force Field might really help my deployment and style, so the Mek’s build me one… and tada… the list was pretty well done..

Bluu In Da Phaes

HQ
Ork Warboss on Bike, Stikkbombs, Cybork, P-Klaw.
Ork Big Mek, Kustom Force Field and P-Klaw.

Troops (Elite)
Ork Knob Bikers – 10; Stikkbombs, Cyborks.
Waaggh Banna Bum,       
Painboy,
Klaw wit BP         
Klaw wit C-Skorcha
Klaw         
Big Choppa
Big Choppa wit C-Skorcha   
Reg wit C-Skorcha
Reg wit BP         
Reg.

Troops
Ork Boys – 12; Knob wit BP and P-Klaw ~~ Trukk wit R-Paint, Plank, Ram
Ork Shoota Boys – 12; 1 Big Shoota, Knob wit BP and P-Klaw ~~ Trukk wit R-Paint, Plank, Ram
Ork Shoota Boys – 30; 3 Big Shoota, Knob wit BP and P-Klaw
Ork Boys - 20; Knob wit BP and P-Klaw
Grot - lots of dem and sum big guys too.

Fast Attack
Ork Deffkopta’s – 4; 4*Rokkits, 1 Buzzsaw.
Ork Deffkopta’s – 4; 4*Rokkits, 1 Buzzsaw.
Ork Deffkkopta - 1; Rokkit and Buzzsaw

Heavy Support
Ork Battlewagon, Deffrolla and 2*big Shoota’s

2500-ish points

So da list was made and plautested a few times (oh and it works well enough for me).. so the New figures were build (I used me old ones, or Vassal, for the playtests)… anyway, I won’t go into the tactics as I am often considered a Weird Ork in regard to tactics and style.. but here are the pics of where the army is at (just before Paint)

Da Boss on Warbike (made from deffkopta, and parts… Snowbike)

Da Big Mek (made from AOBR Boss, and parts)

Da Knob Bikers (made from more Deffkopta’s… Hova Snow Bikes)

Da Shoota’s (made from AOBR Boys)

Da Slugga’s (Old gits, and a new Knob built form AOBR stuff)

Da Trukk’s (made from Trukks and a 33 Ford model kit)

Da Deffkopta’s (almost stock AOBR)

Da Wagon (made from a Battlewagon, a kids toy, and some junk)

Batrep’s
1700pts Vs Mech Eldar with a JB-Council
1500pts vs Tau with XV-9's

There is actually another squad of 30 Shoota's built, and loads of stuff left over (enough for at least 40 Slugga's, + 20 Nobs, etc etc)... so don't think this is the only list they will be running...

Feel free to comment critisize, etc… Paint will begin very soon, and I will also add links to their BatReps as I use da Lads in combat…

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:06:12 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: "Bluu In Da Phaes"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »
OK, I did the test figure and started paint on the First Squad as I liked the Test Guy.. here is how it went.

1.. Mix of Glaze Medium, Dark Angels Green, and water (1:1:1) to coat the skin. and coated metla parts with Bolt Gun Metal.
2.. Coated some stuff with Beastial Brown / Water mix (1:1)
3.. Washed all of it with Devlin Mud
4.. Did some Blood Red for eyes, flames, etc.
5.. Highlighted with Blaze Orange.
6.. Made it Pop with Sunburst Yellow.
7.. Coated some metal stuf with Brazen Brass (also did the Skulls and teef with Bleached Bone).
8.. Another wash with Devlin Mud (and this really could have been the only time I needed to do this wash).
9.. Washed metals with Bedab Black to make them a little deeper...

I then went back and did a few touchups, and took some finished pics... I liked the little bugger (has some dry brushing on the metal to make it pop just a little on the edges; but its tough to see in the pic)... so I started the rest of his Trukk Squad... here are some pics.

The mark on his armour is for Troops Choice of the FOC, and the wrist band has the clan emblem (red edges will make them go faster)... oh, and don't worry about the faces... once they start yelling their waagh, they will go "Bluu In Da Phaes" (tatto will happen later on)

I hope you enjoyed that, and it looks like it was long; but really it took about 1.5 hours including the start of the squad.... And all of it was done using a Standard Brush which really helps speed things up.. that and not worrying too much about doing touchups until the end... 

PS.. the first squad is actually done now (4.5 hours totol of paint time - including the test figure), shortened the steps and only had to wash them twice as I got the colours in the right order, and I did their tattoo'd faces... I will post a pic ASAP (pics rea up there now too).

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:10:57 PM by moc065 »

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:21:33 PM »
moc as always your work amazes. I could not fathom even the slightest means you pull this and every other army out of your head.

The background is fun and Orkish. The pics do not do the real sight of the BIDP.

I wonder if my Marines could hold out against the BIDP. LOL How does Nov 3rd sound. The sooner I know the faster a leave pass will travel.

Cheers

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the comments, as always its appreciated... But honestly, some of the ideas almost fall outta the sky as I really am not that creative....

In regard to a game.... I can send me boys over to kick some SMVaughn arse on pretty well any day you like (after my wifes approval of course)... And we will take our beatings too, I am sure....

Anyway, its at 1700pts for now, and staying that way, and I might even have the first trukk painted by then.

Here is what the first squad of Shoota's looks like (they is done ~ Bluu In Da Phaes ~ from screaming their last Waagh).

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:33:32 PM by moc065 »

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »
Nice job Moc.  Mine haven't made it past the green skin being painted... but they're sitting at home waiting for me!

I am curious about one thing... why the white basecoat instead of black?  Personal preference, or did it serve a specific purpose?  (For me black looks better, and it makes painting recesses easier for me.)
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
I almost always prime Black... Seriously, I like it better too... But.. A good painter I know (No Remorse).. put this bug in my ear about using medium glaze to help speed up my painting while still getting decent results... And you need to Prime white to use glazes even a little bit well....

Well, I tried a few really bad fails with the Medium Glaze as I never shaded before (always painted dark and then highlighted out).. anyway.. after 3-4 tries I actually did find that I can shade faster than I highlight... so this style of paint techneque symply allowed me to paint the guys faster... Did you hear that "No Remorse".. Your system of Medium glaze actually works for me too (used it on the Greens and Browns)... Woot...

In fact, the test figure was about 1.5 hours totol (not including drying time of course)... and since I worked out the process and steps even better, the rest of that first squad only took about 4 hours total.. This means 12 Orks painted in less than 6 hours (30 min/guy).. which is pretty fast by my standards...

There was a second side to all of that too.... Is that I wanted my Orks to have Snow bases (And they do)... so all that dirty white in their outfits is what I call their Built in Camoflag... Its good to give the boys the idear that they are better hidden, and in their first game, a few of them actually made their T-Shirt save,... so the Camoflag is working...

Cheers

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:54:04 PM »
Nice start!  Where did you get the kopta sawblade? 

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:58:11 PM »
I made it from a piece of plastic card and a left over Deffkopta top rotor arm... it was actually pretty easy, and there are some better close ups on the batrep page linked above.

Cheers.

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:24:35 PM »
In fact, the test figure was about 1.5 hours totol (not including drying time of course)... and since I worked out the process and steps even better, the rest of that first squad only took about 4 hours total.. This means 12 Orks painted in less than 6 hours (30 min/guy).. which is pretty fast by my standards...

Wow.  I usually take two to three hours for a single Space Marine.  Those Dire Avengers I posted that you saw took me about four hours each.  With the number of Orks you have to paint... I can see why you changed up the technique.  As for me, I'm too far along with mine to start over... so the slow method it is.  (shrug)
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:03:42 PM »
From what I saw of your DA.. they are worth thte time...

My Eldar take about 2 hours per figure (more for vehicles obvioulsy)... so don't feel bad; oh and this technique is not for everything... Orks and Goby's are ok to be a little messy looking.

Cheers

Latest running lists for

Bluu in da Phaes

1500pts

HQ
(135) Ork Warboss on Bike, Stikkbombs, Cybork, P-Klaw.

Troops (Elite)
(655) Ork Knob Bikers – 10; Cyborks, stikkbombs.
     Waagh Banna Bum       Painboy wit orderly      Klaw wit BP       
     Klaw wit C-Skorcha        Klaw        Big Choppa       
     Big C wit C-Skorcha       Reg wit C-Skorcha       Reg wit BP       
     Reg.

Troops
(162) Ork Boys – 12; Knob wit BP and P-Klaw ~~ Trukk wit R-Paint, ram & plank
(176) Ork Shoota Boys – 21; 2 Big Shoota, Knob wit BP and P-Klaw

Fast Attack
(70) Ork Deffkopta Rokkits & Buzzsaw

1500pts, 4 Scoring Units, 10 Kill Points, and 61 Figures

1700pts

HQ
(150) Ork Warboss on Bike, Stikkbombs, Cybork, P-Klaw, and Attack Squig.

Troops (Elite)
(655) Ork Knob Bikers – 10; Cyborks, stikkbombs.
     Waagh Banna Bum       Painboy wit orderly      Klaw wit BP       
     Klaw wit C-Skorcha        Klaw        Big Choppa       
     Big C wit C-Skorcha       Reg wit C-Skorcha       Reg wit BP       
     Reg.

Troops
(200) Ork Shoota Boys – 25; 2 Big Shoota, Knob wit BP and P-Klaw
(160) Ork Boys – 20; Knob wit BP and P-Klaw

Fast Attack

1699pts, 4 Scoring Units, 11 Kill Points, and 85 Figures

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:46:55 AM by moc065 »

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »
From what I seen live, messy is not possible. They looked real sharp moc.

You are far to criticle of yourself. LOL ;)