News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 700 pt. Tau Vs Orks...should i be worried?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Imperial Sardaukar

700 pt. Tau Vs Orks...should i be worried?
« on: August 21, 2002, 07:16:53 PM »
Hey, i just wanted to get the opinions of some Ork players with Tau experience under their belts.
I got a game coming up in the near future with a friend who uses the Tau. Both of us have 700 pt armies (Yes, small i know. Please dont beat me...) and i feel like i really dont have a chance in hell. Ive looked over his army, which is entirely shooty, and i look at my Orks...and...well.. .i get queezy.
He can shoot the crap out of me with his stupid Three 6 man Fire Warrior Squads, pin me with Pulse Carbines....rail gun me with a Broadside...walk all over me with his 3 Crisis Suits....  :'(
Did i mention all i have is Two 16 Ork Slugga Mobs, One 16 Ork Shoota mob with 3 Big Shootas, a Warboss with choppa and Big Shoota, and a 5 Nob Retinue thats exactly like they are on the box (i am so not original....).

Anyway...ive just finished painting them all up, and its going to be my first game with them, as i usually use Tyranids, and i could use some advice. Additions to my army? Tactics? Rocks that are large enough for me to hide under? Thanx.

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
Re:700 pt. Tau Vs Orks...should i be worried?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 06:18:58 PM »
Do you have a trukk, or any vehicles?
If not you are so screwed.
Opps was meant to say that. Try start as close to the main Tau force as possible, make sure your mobs are close to each other so they can mob up after some go down. Then charge hopefully he would have setup close enought for you to come out of one close combat and sweeping advance into another.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 07:15:39 PM »
Would a dreadnaught or Killer Kans be the way to go? Or a Trukk or 2 to get them up close fast. Im not sure whats better in this scenario...getting in CC fast as possible, or getting a fire magnet in there to distract him.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 02:31:27 PM »
Trukks will do a good job here. You really need to get close as fast as possible, or you're soooo dead. Outshooting Tau is a little difficult...especia lly with a BS2 army.
Don't expect the trukks to survive, they're rather mobile scenery. Put in da boyz, get them closer. Then the trukk will be blown up, but you can place the survivors behind the wreck, gaining full cover. Only set them up in ront of the wreck if this brings you into charge range in your turn.
Pray for night fight!
Indeed, some rocks to hide beneath would be good. The more scenery the better for you.

jwu

Offline Warlord Fragskull

• A'nuva wound, a'nuva battle
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 04:42:49 PM »
Speed, speed, speed, and close combat (though I would say speed eh?). Speed is everything. You go fast you hit earlier and can take down units quicker.
Tau are so much fun to assault. For one we orks get to strike at the same time (I think Tau have Ini 2). Secondly, they are so weak in WS and Str they won't would as often as guardsmen (like they can even fight cc).
If you can get a unit of burna boyz, they will help immensly. Those pesky 4+ saves will disappear.
As for the Dreads and Kans, They are only good if you can hide them right up to your oppponents front lines. If not, they will be shot to pieces, especially with the Tau. It helps if you take that burna squad I was taking about a give them a mek with a kustom force field. If you hide them and hve them within the 6" radius of the force field, you can stop a whole lot of unnesscessary hits.
You should aslo give your Warboss' body guard at least one mek with a kustom force field, it allows him to get closer with much less damage. But remmeber to still keep them in cover while you have those force fields.
Everybody has a little green in them.

"Wez nev'a gonna stopz. Wez jus' keeps onz goin'z."
-Warlord Fragskull to Grishsnik right before wiping out an entire Imperial armored company during the Seige of Helsreach (Third War of Armageddon).

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 06:07:37 PM »
This all sounds like sage advice...
I suppose if the Tau do well, then i may want to give them a go. Like that Manga feel.

Anyway! The Kustom Forcefield was one i was definately going to get for the retinue...consideri ng the point investment, it would be a shame for them to get smoked half way across the 4x6 board im using.