News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deploying Deathmarks  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Deploying Deathmarks
« on: August 5, 2013, 05:14:28 AM »
Hey all,

I've been thinking about adding a squad of Deathmarks to my army, probably 8-10 models + possibly DespairTek. But I ran into a dilemma of how I should deploy them. I'm gonna run through my own thoughts on the available options first, and then I'd like to hear your comments and experiences on the matter  :). So:

Normal deployment
+ Reliable
+ No extra cost
- Only feasible if going second (otherwise not able to mark a unit?)
- Hard to get to marked unit/Effective range (at least without taking damage)

Ethereal Interception
+ No extra cost
+ Ignore Reserve rolls
+ Easier to get in range/Near marked unit
+ Could screw up opponents plans as enemies arrive "out of nowhere" on their turn.
+ Get to act normally on your turn
- Enemy gets to shoot/assault you before you can act
- Only usable if opponent puts something in reserve (cannot be relied upon)
- Dangers of Deep Strike

Deep Strike w/ Veil of Darkness
+ Usable even if opponent doesn't reserve anything
+ Can also be used later in the game
+ Easier to get in range/Near marked unit
+ Enemy can't react before you act
- Relies on successful reserve rolls
- Dangers of Deep Strike
- Extra cost

Night Scythe
+ Safe
+ Fairly easy to reach effective range/marked unit
+ Night Scythe
- Most expensive option
- Relies on successful reserve rolls
? Does entering the game in a Night Scythe count as deployment regarding marking a unit?

So, here are my thoughts on the matter. At the moment I'm leaning towards either Veil of Darkness or Night Scythe. I would very much like to hear your thoughts, and also your experiences if you have tried many of the options. Also experiences/opinions of Deathmarks in general are appreciated :).
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline Screwhead

• Keeping Music Evil
Re: Deploying Deathmarks
« Reply #1 on: August 5, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »
You missed one negative for Ethereal Interception: Cryptek doesn't have Deep Strike as a special rule, so you can't take a Cryptek if you deploy that way.

I've only just started playing again and only have one 6th Edition game down, but I drop them with a DespairTek using a Night Scythe. Extremely effective way of getting them where you want them and, well, Night Scythe couldn't hurt.

Another possibility; if you take Zahndrekh and/or Obyron, you could either pair Obyron with the squad and use his Ghostwalk Mantle, or give the DespairTek a Veil of Darkness, and use Zahndrekh's "Phased Reinforcements" ability w/veil to do what they could normally do with the Ethereal Interception that they lose if they take a DespairTek.

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:24:31 AM »
I do use Deathmarks on a frequent basis and I think you have missed a mode of deployment out, they can Deep Strike from reserve on their own without the help of a cryptek or anything else. This is how I always bring my Deathmarks on so they get to shoot first. Not that much fun bringing them on in your opponents turn and having them shot at.

The other comment is, if you are thinking about bringing 10 deathmarks to the party, think about splitting them into two squads. The more squads you have the more enemy squads you can mark and of course all marked enemy squads apply to all deathmark squads. I have typically been running 3 squads of 6 or 7 deathmarks, because I don't find our other elite choices all that appealing.

Hope that helps a bit.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
The other comment is, if you are thinking about bringing 10 deathmarks to the party, think about splitting them into two squads. The more squads you have the more enemy squads you can mark and of course all marked enemy squads apply to all deathmark squads. I have typically been running 3 squads of 6 or 7 deathmarks, because I don't find our other elite choices all that appealing.

This is huge so I had to quote it. I typically play two x 5 man squads but the thought is the same.

You're right on the Despair tek getting to take advantage of marked for death, and that makes his template super deadly if you're assaulted, or what not, however, you're stuck doing that with a Nightscythe.

I have just come to accept they work best in small squads, alone. I have used Ethereal interception many times to my benefit, however, you have to be more cautious but this does work imho.