News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Getting Back into 40k starting Necrons  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Leocuta

• Ork Boy
  • WARNING:Cookies Disabled! They have been eaten!
Getting Back into 40k starting Necrons
« on: July 21, 2013, 04:25:26 AM »
I have been out of 40k for a while now and am thinking of getting back into it again. To start I picked up the codex, battleforce and a command barge/annihilation barge. To start I am playing in a 500 point doubles tourney, I could be against any army and be playing with any army. Here is what I was thinking:

Overlord w/ Warscythe and Sempiternal Weave
Cryptek w/ Harbringer of Storm

9 Necron Warriors
Ghost Ark

Annihilation Barge w/ Gauss Cannon

3 Scarabs

Total is 492

What are your thoughts on the list...
If you fail, try, try again, if you still fail, try something else.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Getting Back into 40k starting Necrons
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
Well, unless you're sharing a FOC chart with your partner, you've only got one of your two minimum troop choices...

Offline Leocuta

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »
In the tournament rules you only need 1 troop.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
If there are additional rules for this tournament, it would be an idea to post them, as it may affect the advice which you receive.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:07:12 PM »
Are you required to take an HQ? Are you limited to a number of non-troops you can take?

Actually, it would be faster to describe the FOC you're limited to. Are you playing standard missions, or some kind of unique missions?

Offline Leocuta

• Ork Boy
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
I probably should of mentioned it... The FOC is normal except there is only 1 HQ and 1 Troop to be taken compulsory and then everything else is optional. Missons are the 6 from the Rulebook

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »
Well, a small thing would be to drop the Warrior squad to 8, so that everyone can embark on the GA at the same time. Otherwise, someone's slogging it on foot.

Given that most of the missions need you to claim objectives, you should probably invest in more than one troop choice. If they go down, you'll be hard pressed to win a game.

I think I'd save points on the Sempiternal Weave. You have high enough T to make Power Swords less effective than the user would like. Power Axes and Fists will push through the SW anyhow. Otherwise, the only major difference is if you're somehow caught with a Krak Missile, and even then you won't be insta-jibbed.

So that's 36 points to spread around.

If you also drop the Scarabs, you'd have enough points to buy a minimum 5 man Warrior Squad, but not enough to give them a Cryptek or Lord to make them into something with bite.

I would suggest...

100 - Overlord: Warscythe

205 - [5] Warriors: Harbinger of the Storm, Ghost Ark

100 - [5] Warriors: Harbinger of Destruction

CDX - Annihilation Barge: Gauss Cannon [? Not my cup of tea, but maybe a better choice for AT?]

Which gives you a tiny amount of points leftover, that you probably can't spend anyhow. ;) You could sub out your Overlord and HoD for Illuminor Szeras instead, which would let you buy a couple more Warriors... and give a boost to one of your units.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
All things being available, this is what I would take:

Destroyer Lord,
3 Wraiths with 2 Whip Coils (with the Destroyer lord)
10 Warriors
Ghost Ark.

Taking into account the list you made...
Vannila Overlord
8 Warriors in the Ark
Annihilation Barge w/Gauss Cannon
3 Scarabs
1 Tomb Spyder

I know the tomb spyder may not be something you have but it adds a lot to have a mini-force multiplier at this point level until you're ready for close combat, plus the Spyders are always useful as most opponents will be moving towards you for close combat.

Just my 2 gauss shots in there. Good luck with the tournament!

Offline Leocuta

• Ork Boy
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 02:04:40 AM »
Giant Big Tree, this is great help, and I will definitely take this into account, would there be any point in replacing the HoD with more warriors? to make the squad have more bodies? The reason for this is that I only have one cryptek.

prot, I dont have many of the models you listed, I only have the battleforce, Overlord, Annihilation Barge and a converted cryptek.

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 03:53:38 AM »
I would definitely take Tesla over Gauss Cannon on the Annihilation Barge. My reasoning:
- Because of the short range of the weapons, most of the time you'll be moving and taking snap shots with the secondary weapon. This means you're not getting many hits with gauss. But with tesla, if you hit you're scoring at least 3 hits.
- Taking cover into account, the advantage of lower ap is not that great. Especially with the greater number of hits and higher strength of Tesla.
- Gauss can glance any vehicle, true. But most vehicles you'll want to be shooting with the Barge have AV12 or less, and in those cases Tesla is equally good at glancing and can even penetrate.

I agree with GBT on the Sempiternal Weave. At this points level, you could use the points for something more useful. I'd opt for Mindshackle Scarabs on the Lord, though. They'll help his survival in CC immensely, and as he's 1/5 of the points in the army you'll want him doing something useful. Commenting on the list GBT provided (as you seemed to like it  :D), I'd consider dropping the HoD. At least in my experience he's not that great, but he is making that extremely fragile Warrior squad a fairly high priority target. I'd probably beef up the Warrior squad in the Ark a bit, and hope for the enemy to ignore the smaller squad long enough for them to walk up an objective, hit the dirt & stay alive  ;D.
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 06:57:03 AM »
My reasoning for the HoD was to give the unit some ranged bite, since you're relatively low on ranged AT weapons.

You could get away without it, I'm not fond of 5 man units anyhow. :)

Offline Leocuta

• Ork Boy
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »
Thank you for the help guys I know what I am using now.