News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warhammer: The Old World!  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Warhammer: The Old World!
« on: November 15, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »
You never thought anyone would tread upon the Old World again... but alas, the Old and New were never meant to fully entwine, but to exist side by side!!!

It's back! A NEW, IMPROVED, Warhammer Fantasy Battles Game, coming sometime after some years into the future.

Old World? New Warhammer!! - Warhammer Community

AND the hint drop of HYSH for AoS!!????

As a fan of both settings, I look forward to one day being able to play these side by side ;D.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
Re: Warhammer: The Old World!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 12:33:57 PM »
I'd be happy to see fantasy return; but it's a bit odd that they announced it 3 years in advance. Because;

A) that's a long time to keep a hype going.
B) everybody is going to know they spent 3+ years on it.. so all those mistakes are going to look extra silly ;D

It is pretty exciting news though; I wonder what it means for the models and factions.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »
I love the announcement, and I love how GW has a sense of humour.  They released a video on YouTube for this, and the best part is right at the end.

Coming...
Not soon.

Like seriously, this is years away.

I struggled to not burst out laughing at work when I watched this!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 03:10:05 AM »
 Great news. I'd be happy to see the return of rank & file fantasy system, all the more if it is a brand new system like Armageddon.

Offline kim

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 06:06:56 AM »
Quite a surprise, but.. Maybe reasonable move. Closing down WHFB was equal to Wizards giving physical cards the boot, and starting selling them digital only… It's stupid.

Age of Sigmar seems a good move, if more people play it, though.. We're still talking about the firm Gary Gygax talked with about a merger, and this has been their "trademark" since Gygax time.... It's close to closing down D&D in stupid to not have "square formation" system in the Warhammer lineup..

Id expect you need 100 or so products where you got the option of packaging them in plain white boxes with Oldhammer stickers and square bases, and keep a note in R&D to make sure 100+ new AoS figures remain old world compatible. Make 20 - 150 square base figures, possible with intensive kidbashing options, etc. If they keep reprinting limited runs of old 90s like the old Tombkings or Bretonnians regularly, and make them playable with a permanent "Oldhammer" game.. It sounds good!

Biggest challenge, from my noob perspective.. Is making a good rulebook for those square bases. My gut feeling is the book should be "warhammer chess", a system giving ppl challenge.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 06:08:52 AM »
It makes me glad that I never even considered rebasing all my old Fantasy models, let alone selling them.  I will be interested to see how this develops.  On the face of it, this is potentially very positive.  The proof will, however, be in the rules.  I really do hope that GW takes a more streamlined approach to the rules than it normally does.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 09:04:54 AM »
I don't think the 'new' old world will be conpatibly with a lot of the old lines. IIRC one of the main reasons for AoS was protecting the IP; so bringing back the stuff they have trouble claiming as their IP probably won't happen. Which is to bad, but it could make for some interesting developments on the horizon.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »
I don't think the 'new' old world will be conpatibly with a lot of the old lines. IIRC one of the main reasons for AoS was protecting the IP; so bringing back the stuff they have trouble claiming as their IP probably won't happen. Which is to bad, but it could make for some interesting developments on the horizon.

They'll bring it back but just with a name change like they did to Eldar.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 10:39:37 AM »
I'd be happy to see fantasy return; but it's a bit odd that they announced it 3 years in advance. Because;

A) that's a long time to keep a hype going.
B) everybody is going to know they spent 3+ years on it.. so all those mistakes are going to look extra silly ;D

It is pretty exciting news though; I wonder what it means for the models and factions.

I suspect they knew they had to capitalize on the (mostly) positive press Fantasy has gotten the last few years, with Warhammer Total War, Vermintide, Man o' War, Chaosbane and more.

It might also be a part of their new (and refreshing) PR policy of being a lot more open, and a bit more frank with their customers. (At least compared to back in the day when you heard nothing until release).

Lastly - maybe it was a quarterly/annual thing? Announcing this might've made their stocks jump a bit, I'm not sure. Not that GW has struggled, since they seem to be going from strength to strength, growth-wise.