News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperial Guard Army Styles  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Angels, and High Elves
Imperial Guard Army Styles
« on: June 13, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
So I posted a similar conversation starter over to the Eldar board.

I am wondering about how people came about to a preferred army style. Did the fluff come first, or did the list come first? What were the influences, so on so forth.

With my guard, I started it knowing little of the 40k fluff to be honest. I mean I knew it superficially, anyone who hovers at the edge of table top gaming, such as pin and paper RPGs, strategy PC war games, etc... picks up a little of the fluff. I picked Imperial Guard because  they seemed, to me, to be pretty bad ass. When I was building my army, I didn't really have much of an idea of my fluff. I wanted tanks, so most of my buys were tanks. I was also reading the Guant's Ghost books to get a better idea of 40k guard related fluff.

After a few months, my army fluff took shape. The Rivirsigh regiments were all, to the last member, all volunteer forces. Rivirsigh had, as law, that to be a formal citizen and gain the right to vote, equal protection under the law, you had to serve in the government service, with PDF and Guard being the most plentiful service to join. Rivirsigh itself is a fairly normal world in terms of Geography, and while it has a few hive cities, the majority of cities are small to medium, and most of the exports are agricultural in nature. The 32nd, the regiment I field, comes from a Mediterranean/desert area, and has a reputation of producing officers and soldiers who perform well in desert environments, gaining the regiment the nick name "The Desert Rats."

The style of the army has always been aggressive foot soldiers supporting an armored advance. Russes, the hell puppy tanks, with sentinels and some Chimeras in support. They advance up the field, using tanks to provide cover for infantry as  they advance over the empty spaces, and infantry providing small arm fire support to allow the tanks to focus on large targets. The fluff has taken the driver seat for my army, by and large, with the aggressive blitzkrieg style assault.
Tali: Shepard! Want a drink?

Shepard: So… how are you getting drunk, anyway?

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Shepard: That’s a straw, Tali.

Tali: Emergency. Induction. Port.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
Re: Imperial Guard Army Styles
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:13:38 PM »
So I posted a similar conversation starter over to the Eldar board.

I am wondering about how people came about to a preferred army style. Did the fluff come first, or did the list come first? What were the influences, so on so forth.

With my guard, I started it knowing little of the 40k fluff to be honest. I mean I knew it superficially, anyone who hovers at the edge of table top gaming, such as pin and paper RPGs, strategy PC war games, etc... picks up a little of the fluff. I picked Imperial Guard because  they seemed, to me, to be pretty bad ass. When I was building my army, I didn't really have much of an idea of my fluff. I wanted tanks, so most of my buys were tanks. I was also reading the Guant's Ghost books to get a better idea of 40k guard related fluff.

After a few months, my army fluff took shape. The Rivirsigh regiments were all, to the last member, all volunteer forces. Rivirsigh had, as law, that to be a formal citizen and gain the right to vote, equal protection under the law, you had to serve in the government service, with PDF and Guard being the most plentiful service to join. Rivirsigh itself is a fairly normal world in terms of Geography, and while it has a few hive cities, the majority of cities are small to medium, and most of the exports are agricultural in nature. The 32nd, the regiment I field, comes from a Mediterranean/desert area, and has a reputation of producing officers and soldiers who perform well in desert environments, gaining the regiment the nick name "The Desert Rats."

The style of the army has always been aggressive foot soldiers supporting an armored advance. Russes, the hell puppy tanks, with sentinels and some Chimeras in support. They advance up the field, using tanks to provide cover for infantry as  they advance over the empty spaces, and infantry providing small arm fire support to allow the tanks to focus on large targets. The fluff has taken the driver seat for my army, by and large, with the aggressive blitzkrieg style assault.

When I started my force, I made a point of trying a little bit of everything. Gunlines, heavy weapon teams, abhumans, psykers, tanks, artillery, fliers, sentinels, even rough riders. In that time I have been playing, I have made a few discoveries about myself.

• I do not like static gunlines. Firebases are one thing, but I need something mobile and kicking my opponent in the teeth.
  • I love cavalry, both mechanized and flesh-and-blood. My second force, Space Wolves, are heavily centered around Thunderwolf Cavalry.
  • Redundancy is a virtue. My veteran squads carry three different special weapons: plasmagun, melta, heavy flamer. Every squad in my force carries krak grenades.
  • Overgunning just means the foe didn't bring enough targets.
I have more fun taking the fight to my enemy, so my army is shaped by this fact. I may not keep the field, but by the Emperor my foes will pay a terrible price.

Once I get my RR conversions back together (and resistant to travel),  I will figure out how to use them. Somehow.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:17:37 PM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline CO9220

• happy un-birthday to you all.
Re: Imperial Guard Army Styles
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »
I started out making scale replica models such as airfix and have always had an obsession with tanks, Apc's, self propelled guns and artillery. Some time down the line i was introduced to 40k by a close friend. Initially, like most, i played space marines but i kept getting drawn by the more robust looking imperial guard tanks. Eventually i sold my space marines and used the money to buy more tanks and i frequently use as many as i can muster in a list.

So neither the fluff or the way the army plays came into it i don't claim to win frequently and have some uber list. I just love painting tanks and seeing them on the battlefield.
badum-tch