News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40kOnline WH Background FAQ: 40k  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
40kOnline WH Background FAQ: 40k
« on: May 20, 2006, 11:31:29 PM »
There are some frequently asked questions about the 40k universe including, but not limited to, what happened to the Old Ones, whether there is a link to the fantasy universe (WFB/WFRP, etc.), what happend to the Primarchs, and so forth.  What I would like us - the 'fluff' and background lovers - to do is to identify those questions and prepare informative answers.  What I would not like us to do is post huge swathes of canonical material, since I will then have to delete this thread.

Also, please understand that this also touches upon the 40k Encylopaedia project and, as such, must be considered a temporary solution to the problem.

So, fellow forum members, post away.  I'll then select the appropriate material and post them to a sticky thread.  If there is a need for a WFB/WFRP version then, please, PM me and I'll sort it out.

Thank you for your patience and consideration in not breaking forum rules by posting oodles of canonical material, wargame statistics in published books and, of course, fan information that is not cited as such!

Kage

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
Re: 40kOnline WH Background FAQ: 40k
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:11:03 AM »
I have had a crack at this once before, as you probably know. It's basically a group of links, which isn't quite the same, but hopefully should be useful. Still, if there will be an FAQ, I may as well do what I can.

Perhaps I should start with my absolute favourite question - whatever happened to the Primarchs?

The Emperor created twenty Primarchs, genetically engineered beings designed to be superior to normal humans in every respect - strength, speed, intelligence. Two of them are lost, but of the eighteen that remained, almost all died, vanished, or assumed Daemonhood after the Horus Heresy. These were their fates -

Lion El'Jonson, Primarch of the Dark Angels
- After returning to Caliban after the Heresy, Jonson faced his former friend Luther, now a pawn of Chaos, in a duel. Luther proved triumphant and mortally wounded Jonson, though his body was never found in the break-up of Caliban. It is widely believed that he has been taken by the Watchers in the Dark, to be healed and one day return.

Fulgrim, Primarch of the Emperor's Children
- In reward for the many deeds of the Emperor's Children Legion, Slaanesh elevated Fulgrim to the rank of Daemon Prince and he now rules over a Daemon World in the Eye of Terror.

Perturabo, Primarch of the Iron Warriors
- He also acheived Daemonhood and rules over the world of Medrenngard in the Eye of Terror.

Jaghatai Khan, Primarch of the White Scars
- Some seventy years after the Horus Heresy, he was lost while battling Dark Eldar. The White Scars believed him to be lost in the depths of the Webway, still fighting against the Dark Eldar, while others have claimed that the Khan is a prisoner within Commorragh.

Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves
- In M31, on the night of the Feast of the Emperor's Ascension, Russ left Fenris during a feast in the Fang. He appeared to receive a vision and then left, taking with him all of his companions save the youngest, Bjorn the Fell-Handed, and promised he would return 'for the final battle. For the Wolftime.' His armour was discovered in a Chaos temple near the Eye of Terror during the second Great Hunt, but he has never been seen since.

Rogal Dorn, Primarch of the Imperial Fists
- During the First Black Crusade, the Imperial Fists fought to protect Cadia. Unfortunately, Dorn had sent the majority of the Chapter to hunt down Eldar Craftworld Ulthwé, and was caught with minimal forces by a Chaos fleet in the Cadian Gate. Dorn slew the entire bridge crew of a Chaos battleship in a boarding action, but that battleship was then destroyed from afar. The only remains of Dorn ever found were his skeletal hand, and many believe him dead.

Konrad Curze (Night Haunter), Primarch of the Night Lords
- After the Horus Heresy, a Callidus Assassin named M'Shen tracked down Curze, intending to kill him. M'Shen succeeded in his mission and slew Curze, but it is believed that Curze allowed himself to be killed.

Sanguinius, Primarch of the Blood Angels
- Warmaster Horus himself killed Sanguinius on his battle barge during the climax of the Siege of Terra.

Ferrus Manus, Primarch of the Iron Hands
- He is said to have been beheaded by Fulgrim during the Drop Site Massacre and his head presented to Horus as a gesture of faith. However, some believe that Manus sleeps on the planet Mars and may one day return, though the Iron Hands vehemently deny this.

Angron, Primarch of the World Eaters
- He was rewarded with Daemonhood by his patron, Khorne. He once led an attack on the planet Armageddon, where Grey Knight Brother-Captain Aurelian banished him into the Warp, though he has doubtless reformed and waits still within the Eye of Terror.

Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines
- After the Heresy, Guilliman was attacked by Fulgrim and slashed across the throat with a poisoned blade. He was placed in stasis by the Ultramarines to prevent his death, and remains inside the Shrine of Hera on Macragge to this day. Some say that he is slowly healing, though this is a physical impossibility.

Mortarion, Primarch of the Death Guard
- Also elevated to Daemonhood, and rules over the Plague Planet, sometimes called Bubonicus, within the Eye of Terror, which he has shaped to resemble his homeworld of Barbarus.

Magnus the Red, Primarch of the Thousand Sons
- Rose to Daemonhood under Tzeentch's patronage, and now rules the Planet of the Sorcerors within the Eye of Terror. He has been wounded several times, but never fatally.

Horus, Primarch of the Luna Wolves (Sons of Horus)
- Slain by the Emperor himself upon his battle barge, signifying the end of the Horus Heresy.

Lorgar, Primarch of the Word Bearers
- Elevated to Daemonhood, and now rules a planet, Sicarus, within the Eye of Terror.

Vulkan, Primarch of the Salamanders
- After the Horus Heresy, he left for the Eye of Terror in a personal spacecraft, promising the Salamanders that he would return.

Corax, Primarch of the Raven Guard
- After praying for a year and day for forgiveness within the Ravenspire, he left Deliverance silently, setting a course for the Eye of Terror, speaking only the word 'nevermore'.

Alpharius, Primarch of the Alpha Legion
- After the Horus Heresy, he was slain by Roboute Guilliman in single combat.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
Re: 40kOnline WH Background FAQ: 40k
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 10:57:43 AM »
Thanks Irandrura, I think that will do nicely for the Primarch FAQ section.  Please copy and paste the section on the Primarchs (and not the qualifying link) to the FAQ post.

Kage