News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Clawing my way back from the dead.  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: Clawing my way back from the dead.
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2023, 07:00:44 PM »
Wow, that is some fine loot! Always fun when you find something you've forgotten about, like a mini present from your past self.

And some cool old stuff in there. 2nd ed was a fun game, I know folks (including me) rubbish it but thats mostly because the rules were for small skirmish battles of a couple of squads and a tank but people wanted bigger battles... after all Necromunda is one of GW's enduring all time greats.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #41 on: January 7, 2024, 04:06:50 PM »
Well, holidays are over, and though things have certainly slowed down, they have not stopped. A few things i've managed to get done between gorging on turkey...

I did a test of the underside phalanges of the dragon's wings. I didn't want to just go blue, like on the top, but also wanted them to blend a bit better with the tips near the end... So i used a blue wash to sorta tint them. Still not entirely convinced i like it, but i will probably power through and just work on getting him finished. I can always do another in the future. When i win the lottery anyway, dragons aren't cheap.

I also made some significant progress on some Guardian Defenders. This will make unit 3 of then in proper colours. I've got about 100 more in Ulthwe colours i need to figure out how to strip... They've been slower going than i expected, as i discovered while working on them that some of the paints i use in the scheme are beyond recovery, and... I've been procrastinating replacing them.

My first batch of tests for the printer were some Seaguard to finish off the unit i wanted, since they haven't been available for almost a decade now... That'll give me a beefy regiment of 25, and two 20 man Spearmen regiments to form my main battle line. The Isle of Blood ones need to be cleaned up and rebased on the new 25mm bases though.

And i went through that box i found and orgaganised the contents. 43 2nd edition Space Marines, and a glorious relic of a Land Raider. Along with the manuals, hard-card templates, cards, markers and assorted goodies for 2nd edition. Will probably try to strip them and clean them up at some point. Still no idea where they came from.

Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #42 on: January 7, 2024, 09:33:42 PM »
First, those wings look amazing. The rest look like fun. So the sea guard, 3d printed? The land Raider from wau back, wow, I had those back when I started 30 years ago. Great stuff.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #43 on: January 8, 2024, 07:55:18 AM »
That wing membrance texture is amazing.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #44 on: January 8, 2024, 04:30:16 PM »
So the sea guard, 3d printed?

The grey ones. The black primed ones are from the actual Isle of Blood set from back in the day. I had 17 Seaguard from the set, and had always wanted to get the regiment up to 25. But they had never released them in another box. While starting my printing adventures, i came across an STL of the now totally discontinued (though if they brought them back for Old World, i'd totally get another unit because i love the look of them) Isle of Blood Seaguard, for free. So i couldn't pass up the opportunity to use them as my test minis. Here's a pair side by side, the grey being the resin print, the black being the original plastic with primer.

They're a hair larger i think, but not enough to notice without really looking hard.

That wing membrance texture is amazing.

First, those wings look amazing.

Anywho, i appreciate the encouragement. We are often our own worst critics, and i'll keep it in mind, rather than my own criticisms.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2024, 09:27:54 PM »
Alright, well. Been a bit of a slower winter than i had hoped. I have discovered that the window next to where i paint has developed a draft, so i can only really paint on nicer days lest my fingers go numb. That said, it has not been totally fruitless, and i've managed a few projects on the go.

First, i traded in a bunch of old Firstborn Space Marines stuff i had which i honestly had no idea what to do with and didn't care about. And with the proceeds, i started some Lumnieth.

And some future High Elf Dragons, since i A; hate the old model, and B; love dragons.

Work progresses on the 3rd big unit of Guardians. Slower than i like, but progress is progress.

And some side projects for friends, which i printed off. While also getting in some experementation with two materials i generally don't paint much; Flesh, and Wood.

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2024, 01:31:45 AM »
Work progresses on the 3rd big unit of Guardians. Slower than i like, but progress is progress.

Hear hear! I keep telling myself the same. :) I like the look of that forest beasty especially. What is it and any chance of a shot from a different angle?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2024, 05:08:17 AM »
Nice to see lumineth on the table! I personally just moved on from them to Daughters of Khaine! But they're a great army, they just require special care lol. They can be pretty fragile! Look forward to see how you tackle that and the craftworld stuff.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2024, 11:38:41 PM »
What is it and any chance of a shot from a different angle?

It's called The Nething. It's a Dark Fae monster from Archvillain Games. I'm actually intending to pair it with the staff wielding shaman woman as a gift for a friend. My goal with it is to try and make it look like it's comprised of different pieces of wood and bone, so i'm going to try to experiment with greens, browns, yellows and greys... We'll see how it goes, worst case scenario i can always just print another.

Nice to see lumineth on the table! I personally just moved on from them to Daughters of Khaine! But they're a great army, they just require special care lol. They can be pretty fragile! Look forward to see how you tackle that and the craftworld stuff.

Ultimately, i doubt i'll ever actually play them. Don't think i've actually played a game of Warhammer, of any sort, for the last 7 years. But i love the models, and am going to try to work them in thematically with my High Elves. Even though i likely will never play them, i have a whole concept to work all the Aelven factions into one cohesive force for my collection, so we'll have to see how well the colours translate.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2024, 10:32:35 AM »
Successfully managed to finish the project for my friend. Also marking my first completed printed mini. Or, well, 2 minis, as they are technically 2 unrelated figures put together...

I'm hoping that, with the weather starting to warm up some, i will be able to get some more painting in without losing use of my fingers.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2024, 06:35:03 PM »
Wow! Just beautiful. The colors work so well together not getting muttled and showing great detail. 👍
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2024, 01:58:48 PM »
That looks awesome! Almost like a Witcher version of Allarielle the Everqueen for Age of Sigmar! I love it  ;D.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2024, 04:25:19 PM »
Damn, looks awesome!

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2024, 10:53:15 AM »
Been a lot of distractions lately, so i'm way off track. But still trucking.

Got the Guardians tabletop ready (minus bases. 25 years later, and i still haven't put any thought into bases...) bringing my fieldable Defenders up to 60.

Painted up a 3rd Autarch, which had been sitting on the shelf primed for years and mocking me.

And alongside his compatriots

My next one will be this ungodly abomination. Even getting it this far has reminded me how much i hate metal as a material.

I also found some STLs for reasonable Eldar Ship proxies, to go with the small fleet i already had started many moons ago. No real intention on ever playing it, i just always wanted a nice beefy armada to admire on a shelf.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2024, 05:00:10 AM »
I have such joy to see a Battlefleet Gothic fleet! The Eldar range was stunning in its day, and still looks great now.

Even not being used in games they're a nice addition to the collection.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014