News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Masque of the Eternal Paradox ~ 1500pnt Army  (Read 897 times)

Offline para

Masque of the Eternal Paradox ~ 1500pnt Army
« on: May 19, 2003, 08:28:13 AM »
Masque of the Eternal Paradox
Head Quaters

Great Harlequin @ 113 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Harlequin’s Kiss
Powerblades
Plasma Grenades
Rictus Mask

Shadowseer @ 128 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Harlequin’s Kiss
Powerblades
Plasma Grenades
Dread Mask

Elites
Solitaire @ 213 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Harlequin’s Kiss
Powerblades
Plasma Grenades
Dread Mask
Phase Field
Domino Field
Rictus Mask

Death Jesters (3) @ 216 pnts
Bright Lance
Powerblade
Phase Field

Death Jesters (2) @ 144 pnts
Bright Lance
Powerblade
Phase Field

Troupes

Mime Troupe (5) @  210 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (3)
Power Weapon (1)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Plasma Grenades
Mimic
Shuriken Pistol
Harlequins’ Kiss
Powerblades
Plasma Grenades

Harlequin Troupe (4) @  183 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (2)
Power Weapon (1)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Plasma Grenades
Troupe Leader
Shuriken Pistol
Harlequins’ Kiss
Powerblades
Plasma Grenades

Harlequin Troupe (5) @ 146 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (3)
Power Weapon (1)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Plasma Grenades

Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (3)
Power Weapon (1)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Plasma Grenades

Total: 1499 pnts

I have a few dilemas about the above list.  Have I gone a bit OTT with the Solitaire's equipment?  Should I equip two of the DJs with EMLs?  Should I ditch all the plasma grenades for a couple for Harlies?

All comments welcome.  BTW is it possible to pick up Harlie minis anywhere in the UK other than e-bay?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re:Masque of the Eternal Paradox ~ 1500pnt Army
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 08:42:51 AM »
I don't think you have gone too ballistic on the Solitaire, but you have fogotten D-fields on your Great Harlequin and Shadowseer.
You don't need the phasefield on the Deathjesters though. If you position them well enough they can move around enough without the expensive field (Assault 1 on brightlance).
Tweak those numbers and see if you can get a venom in to. I think that you might need one, as you are footslogging the entire army, and so many of the poor harlies will break...

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline €rystal

• It goes with my music!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 09:37:12 AM »
I do think that it is to wargear heavy as your Harlequin numbers are very small for a 1500pts. You have 19 'normal' harlequins, I have 21 in a 1000pts army... but thats me.
Ok now you HQ--

First what army are you vsing, that would help.. is it possible just to field a shadowseer or just a great harlequin if so that would save alot of points. However by looking at your low numbers and no transport the shadowseer is a must. Also the Shadowseer will be more than likely joining a squad and it would be better to include a differnt grenade ie. tanglefoot because of the dreadmask or no grenade at all.

ELITES--

I think myself that a soiltaire with that much wargear has a marked himself/herself with 'SHOOT ME' but hey that might be your plan but if you can litmate the wargear you could get more harlequins or some transport....
Your Death Jesters dont need the phase fields and mybe one should have a ELM because it has a ordance, however one could have a phasefield and could speed up a flank and bust the side armour of a tank.

TROOPS--

Ok OK little numbers can break easily and preform bad in combat, yes sml number preform badly in combat with marines because you dont have enough attacks to punch through the 3+ armour.. so my suggestion is to pump one up to 7 or 8 and the unit could include your shadowseer to protect in from fire. If your buying a mimic just for the extra H-kiss then just give it to a normal mime because it cost less( i think ???)

HEAVY--

Ok you need at lest 1 venom and this should include your soiltaire. The mimes should flank one side but the venom should be right behind them just to back them up...
I hope that help.
Huh?

Offline para

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 09:40:22 AM »
Thanks for the input Rasmus.  By dropping the five phase fields on the DJs I free up 75 points for the following;

Heavy Support

Venom @ 75 pnts
Fusion Gun
Holo-Field

Are the D-fields really needed if the Great Harlequin and Shadowseer are going have a Troupe each as bodyguards?

Offline para

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 10:34:24 AM »
Thanks Crystal.  You have given me alot to think about there.  The reason I have alot of expensive characters is really for fluff, I want an army which represents a whole Masque and they would surely contain these characters.  However if it really will prove to be a serious disadvantage due to a lack of 'regular' Harlequins I may have to reconsider.

I dont really like to tailor army lists to specific enemies so I'm not much help there.  I will be playing down the local GW so I guess there will be a healthy dose of SMurfs.

What I could do is drop the Mimic and Great Harlequin plus lose some of the equipment from the Solitaire.  This will free up enough points to bolster one or two of the Harlie Troupes and get an EML or two for the DJs.

I'm not too sure if this is the road I want to go down though.  Well, now you've given me an even bigger set of dilemas.  Thanks Crystal!  :P

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 12:35:17 PM »
Thanks for the input Rasmus.  By dropping the five phase fields on the DJs I free up 75 points for the following;

Heavy Support

Venom @ 75 pnts
Fusion Gun
Holo-Field

Are the D-fields really needed if the Great Harlequin and Shadowseer are going have a Troupe each as bodyguards?
Yes, as independent characters joined to squads (and even troupe leaders) can be specifically targetted in hth, and your Great Harlequin and Shadowseer will be prime targets. Without the D-field they have no protection save cowardice (staying out of btb), and this would be a waste of good fighting-potential.

Offline Rhòanin

• The True Outcast
  • Ancient
  • To each, Their own.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 08:52:37 PM »
im not exactly a pro at harlequins, but i have a few opinions.

i would consider putting shrieker cannons on maybe 2 of the DJs, ive always thought itd be great to fire into a squad and then create a human bomb killing even more.

since harlequins are uber CC, and you need numbers to win in CC, id say u need to find points somewhere for more troupes.  whether its droping an HQ, downsizing the solitaire - whatever, just get somemore guys on the table.

i hope that may help.

- Rhòanin
He who follows his own will is a King among men.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 01:17:52 AM »
Actually the Shrieker-cannon is wildly ineffective against anything save hordes of badly armoured creatures (like nid gaunts) but then the EML is more effective anyway. In older days it was scary, now it is a part of trivia; not a weapon to fear.

Offline para

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 04:38:45 AM »
Okay I've considered carefully all your comments and this is the list I have come up with;

Head Quarters

Shadowseer @ 146 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Harlequins’ Kiss
Powerblades
Domino Field
Rictus Mask

Elites

Solitaire @ 173 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Harlequins’ Kiss
Powerblades
Domino Field
Dread Mask
Plasma Grenades

Death Jesters (3) @ 171 pnts
Bright Lance
Powerblades

Death Jesters (2) @ 124 pnts
Missile Launcher
Powerblades

Troupes

Mime Troupe (6) @ 173 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (4)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Power Weapon (1)
Plasma Grenades

Mime Troupe (5) @ 146 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (3)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Power Weapon (1)
Plasma Grenades

HarlequinTroupe (6) @ 173 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (4)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Power Weapon (1)
Plasma Grenades

HarlequinTroupe (6) @ 173 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (4)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Power Weapon (1)
Plasma Grenades

Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (3)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Power Weapon (1)
Plasma Grenades

Heavy Support

Venom @ 75 pnts
Fusion Gun
Holo-field

Total: 1500 pnts

I now have a total of 28 'regular' Harlies and Mimes.  I plan to use the Troupes in pairs with one as a reserve.  The Solitaire will use the Venom to get into HtH asap.

What do you reckon?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 07:20:02 AM »
You can also run one squad on a Venom with the Shadowseer on one flank, teh Soitaire on the other flank with the other squads moving up the middle (in cover!) This has proved to work well too.

Offline €rystal

• It goes with my music!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 07:36:59 AM »
Your revised list is better than the first, however I see the Dread Mask to be much more effective than the Rictus Mask(if not using trial assult rules) and if you are pairing your units up then change the grenades, this will be much more effective. eg Your shadowseer could have Dread Mask and Tanglefoot grenades and the unit that the Shadowseer is going with could have Hallucinogen Grenades that way even if you dont kill all your enemy, you are certin to win and even run done them after combat.

For the reserve unit they could contain a funsion pistol because if they are out of range of assult (9inch-- average of 3inch FOF) they take a shot with the fusion gun at a tank or instantly kill a SM in termintor armour...fun!

Overall I would like to see how this list really does because the sml squads could back each other up...if you like sml squad games you could play 40k in 40min
Huh?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 09:43:20 AM »
For the reserve unit they could contain a funsion pistol because if they are out of range of assult (9inch-- average of 3inch FOF) they take a shot with the fusion gun at a tank or instantly kill a SM in termintor armour...fun!
Except that he gets his 5+ inv save, of course.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 11:23:51 AM »
Troupes

Mime Troupe (6) @ 173 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (4)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Power Weapon (1)
Plasma Grenades

Mime Troupe (5) @ 146 pnts
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon (3)
Harlequins’ Kiss (1)
Power Weapon (1)
Plasma Grenades

You can only have 1 mime squad - either change one to a normal troupe or make it one big squad. I recommend another troupe - more targets and possible tacticle flexibility.

jonik
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Little Black Riding Hood

• Wrath of the Tyrant...
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 01:06:49 PM »
the solitaie does not need plasma grenades, they are a waste of time for harlequins
"The elder among the men looked deep into The fire and spoke loud with pride, tomorrow is a fine day to die" - Bathory
"Forever wilt I bleed for Thee. Forever wilt I praise Thy dreaded name. Forever wilt I serve Thee. Thou shalt forever prevail. Inno a Satana." - Emperor
"Symbolical and sheeting in an eclectic manner, institutional monotheism holds the banner, martial and creed, you think they will provide anything you need?" - Zyklon

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 03:24:26 PM »
Well, if the Solitaire charges anyone in cover they will most likely crush him before he gets a chance to speak, and any enemy seeing that thing coming rushing down the field will move their troops into sover for that exact reason. It is a pretty cheap way of keeping the Solitaire as fast as he can be.

Offline €rystal

• It goes with my music!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2003, 09:37:13 AM »
------------------------------------------------------------------------
rember with small squads they wont win combat(unless vsing agasit small squads) for an example if all three squads strike together than have more of a fighting chance than puting them on the three flanks....

"When depolying harlequins have it bad, because the first thing that goes down is your Venom because its HS, thus the enemy knows where 1  of your troupes are going to be and thus put a tank to deal with the problem"...however I have lernt to deal with this problem by puting a venom down in an open area, the enemy places a tank and a devaster squad (with heavy bolters to deal wih the survies) I then place mimes close by the venom but in cover behind them are a troupe and soiltare on the other flank is a shadowseer and a large troupe and Death jesters to deal with the tanks. Tactic that can only be use once and if the enemy moves rather than shoots the venom then picks up a local troupe to accopany the mimes.lol. It has worked as a lure.

I've seen a poster have a very good list because he wanted to include every unit of Harlequins... His tactic follows.........
Mimes                                                                 Mimes
Troupe in venom    Jetbikes with SS                   Troup      
with GH                  Wraithlord                             in venom
                                                                            with ------                                                                          soiltare
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Covering all flanks and protecting the vital wraithlord is a very good tactic as the enemy must spread out and with an equal threat on each side the oppnent has cant set up a Devaster squad to wipe out a good flank... just a side note that I hope will help you.
Huh?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2003, 01:02:39 PM »
Which leads us back to wether or not the Solitaire can ride the Venom if a squad is on it. I don't think so, perosnally. Only one squad per vehicle, and since the Solitaire can't join the squad...

Offline Little Black Riding Hood

• Wrath of the Tyrant...
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2003, 12:46:22 PM »
Well, if the Solitaire charges anyone in cover they will most likely crush him before he gets a chance to speak, and any enemy seeing that thing coming rushing down the field will move their troops into sover for that exact reason. It is a pretty cheap way of keeping the Solitaire as fast as he can be.

remember that harlequins get a cover save for a reason (they count as being in cover) and so get the defended obstacle bonus in the open, or when assaulting cover it is a face off and counts as a second round of assault, otherwise they would have an invulnerable save, like assassins.
"The elder among the men looked deep into The fire and spoke loud with pride, tomorrow is a fine day to die" - Bathory
"Forever wilt I bleed for Thee. Forever wilt I praise Thy dreaded name. Forever wilt I serve Thee. Thou shalt forever prevail. Inno a Satana." - Emperor
"Symbolical and sheeting in an eclectic manner, institutional monotheism holds the banner, martial and creed, you think they will provide anything you need?" - Zyklon