News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Saim-Hann vs Imperial Guard (Friday Campaign round #1,2,3 & 4 done)  (Read 8138 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Hey guys, as some of you know a bunch of us have started a Friday Afternoon Campaign with 2 teams (Eldar and Imperial Guard).

Friday 12 Nov 2010 had us playing our 1st game @ 750pts as each week or so we will increase the battle size of the Campaign.

On one table we had Richard (Imperial Guard) vs John (Biel-Tan Eldar) and I won't get into detail as I was too busy; but their game went to a Draw, so each of them got to nominate 1 surviving unit as Veterans for the next battle (gaining one Vet skill as well).

On the other table we had Greg (Imperial Guard) vs Ken (Saim-Hann Eldar) and I am here with a few pics and notes to report how that game went.

The Saim-Hann were running an all Jetbike army (for theme) and here is what it looked like.
Clan Saim-Lucster
(140) Autarch on JB, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters, and Fusion Gun.
(210) 6 Guardian Jetbikes with 2 Shuri-cannons; +1 Warlock on JB with Destructor and Singing Spear.
(151) 4 Guardian Jetbikes with 1 Shuri-cannon; +1 Warlock on JB with Embolden and Singing Spear.
(237) 5 Shining Spear JB's; Exarch had Starlance, skilled rider and withdraw.
738pts, 2 Scoring Units, 4 Kill Points, and 18 Jetbike Figures.

The Imperial Guard were running a well balanced list and here is what it looked like.
Greg's Traitorous Guard
(240) Command Squad with Power Sword Plas Pistol, Medic, Standard, 2 x Flamers, 2 x Bodyguards, Astropath ( DAVROS ), and an Officer of the Fleet.
(130) Vendetta Gunship (Flying Armour of Doom with 3 Lascannons).
(225) 10 man Veteran Squad (3 Plasma and 1 ML)
     Chimera + H-Stuber
(155) 10 man Veteran Squad (3 x Snipers, Harker, Missile Launcher & Sgt-Harker)
750pts, 2 Scoring Units, 5 Kill Points, 32 Figures.

{Note that I took the pictures with the wrong infantry squad with the Chimera, but like I said, I am not IG smart so I wouldn't know the difference until later during the game}

Mission & Deployment

Imperial Guard get 1st turn with 4 Objectives on the table (3 green dice, and one OOP Eldar dude), and Kill Points being used as well if there was a Draw; since this is straight out of the back of the BBB for Campaigns pg 250 (Hey the book does have more than just rules you know, cool pictures, campaign ideas, etc, etc). The Mission is Dawn of War, so 1st Turn Nightfight is also in effect, and Greg Deploys one Infantry Squad in the Chimera in some trees (with all together too many guns, weapons, Eldar hurty things in one nice light package). I am not sure what Greg's plan was; but really I am sure he has some especialy Tratorous plan in mind (Feel free to fill in the blanks for me Greg) He did mention that his HQ squad and Flying armour thingy (3 lascannons) would be in full reserves (outflanking) as well as the Harker Troop squad (outflanking).

The Saim-Hann were up to evil Eldar Trickery, as usual, as they set up their larger GJB squad (with Destructor -- thats a Heavy Flamer for you non-Eldar players) behind some Blocking Line Of Sight (BLOS) terrain, please note that this Ork insanity terrain was compliments of Dan Clowater, and for this game it will always count as Dangerous and Difficult Terrain (because the friggin Orks would shoot/fight with you if you got too close). The Shining Spears would arrive Turn 1 via Dawn of War rules with the Embolden Squad arriving via standard Reserves -- turn 2+ (Embolden allows them to re-roll LD tests for you non-Eldar players).

Turn 1

The Evil Saim-Hann try to steel the initiative; but Greg laughs (again) as they fail with a 5 on the die (this is a running joke, as I can almost never steel the initiative from Greg, and I didn't even want to steel it in this game; but I must roll the dice, so that eventually I roll a bloody 6 for this vs Greg).

Traitorous Guard
Greg moves the Traitorous Chimera forward to Gain LOS on the Evil Saim-Hann. NOT, haha -- He actually rolled the dice for Dangerous Terrain and "Immobilizes" his own Chimera with a 1. With Greg off to such a wonderful start and with nothing within his LOS, he advances the turn directly to the Eldar.
Saim-Hann
The Shining Spears "Turbo" onto the scene, right over to where the Destructor squad is parked. The Destructor Squad then pops out from behind the terrain and lets lose with their Shuri-Cannons (6 shots later the Chimera is unscathed -- Nightfight pooched the Range, so they all fell short - crappy nightfight saved his tank). They then do some shuffling to ensure Cover Saves (4/7 in or behind cover) on the next turn and even though one Guardian Jetbiker entered the DT with the Orks, he was too fast for them to shoot him down (no casualties -- and Saim-Hann can drive very well, let me assure you).

Both armies are off to a very slow start; but who will take the advantage now that nightfight is over and Reserves will start to arrive ?

Turn 2

Traitorous Guard
Reserve Rolls have "Harker" and his Tratorous Veterans arriving on the "Left" so that is way out of the action but there is a Mission Objective on that side, so Greg has them work towards that ruin. The Chimera is still Immobilized but it has range and LOS on the Destructor Jetbike Squad so Greg "Unloads" into them with 3 Multilaser shots, 3 H-Bolter shots, 2 H-Stubber shots, and 5 guns from the Veteran Squad inside. pew pew pew, and through all that firepower only 2 Jetbikers died (conveniently the guy that was in the Ork Dangerous Terrain so he wouldn't need to take a test to move later on and one other catipuult guy); and I know that it sounds weird as I fully expected more JB's to die; but Greg rolled pretty poorly to hit with only maybe 40% of his shooting actually hitting, and then less than 50% of that causing a wound, so the JB's only actually took 3-4 saves through all that shooting. the squad failed its Moral test and fell back some 13" (2 more and they were gone). Harker and Squad "Ran" a massive 2" to get closer to the Building Ruin with the Mission Objective in it.
Saim-Hann
Destructor Squad rally's (whew). The Embolden JB Squad arrives on a 5 (so much for that reserve offsetting little barstitch) and they come in with a full move towards the Harker Veterans. The Destructor Squad adjusts towards the farthest Mission Objective; but they actually got in range with their Shuri-cannons on the Harker Veterans as well. While the Shining Spears + Autarch wip up as close to the Chimera as they could get (passing 3 Dangerous Terrain tests as they land). In shooting the 3 Shuri-cannons work togther firing into the Harker Veterans, but only manage to kill 1 Veteran; while the Spears + Autarch fire into the Chimera, but only manage to remove the Multi-laser and shake the tank. The two Troop Jetbike units used their Assault move to grab some Cover Save terrain while the Spear + Autach squad assaulted into the Chimera (passing loads of DT tests again) and quickly blew it up (Explosion, 3" spread); which didn't go so well as 2 Shining Spears died in the explosion while only 1 Veteran Traitor guard went down. The Veterans did fail their "Pin" test though, so the Spears were not feeling so bad in the end.

With one group of Traitors "Pinned" and the other unit having to move to gain their Objective, the Saim-Hann felt good in their table position; but what if the HQ Squad and its Vendatta arrive, where will they go and how will they effect the battle ?

Turn 3

Traitorous Guard
Greg rolls for his Reserves (with a +1 btw) and gets his Comman Squad and the Flying Armour of Doom to come it on the Right (next to the friggin Shining Spears thank you very much - ooch); and he laughs as he starts to tell me his evil plans for my demise, as he starts to unload the Comman Squad from the Flying Armour of Doom.
His movement has the Harker Veterans entering the Building and gaining position on the Mission Objective (way on top - but we declared that each floor was only a 3" move for game/scoring purposes). He then has his Commander order those "Pinned" traitors to "Get up" (OK, game wise it was pretty cool, but I was not impressed to see Plasma Guns, etc rise up right in front of my best CC unit). Over to shooting, where the Harker Vets do Nothing against the Embolden Jetbikers and then the Traitor Veterans with Plasma, the Command Squad, and the Flying Armour of Doom manage to evaporate all of my Shining Spears and wound the Autarch (OOCH). He has no assaults (due to Rapid Fire, and or dis-embarking rules) and I am thinkful to actually see it switch over to the Eldar turn.

Saim-Hann
The Destructor and Embolden Squads advanced/adjusted to gain shots on the Harker Veterans. And was very thankful to actually still have the Autarch on the battlefield, as I was sure that he would not be able to withstand another round of shooting, so he prepared to "get sum". Shooting had 3 Shuri-cannons and some Catipult fire go into the Harker veterans killing 4 of them (passed their LD though with a 6). Sir Lance-A-Lot was not wasting bullets on weekling traitors, so after the GJB's adjusted with their Assault move, he drove straight into the Traitorous Veterans and quickly skewered 4 of them with his Lance. The Traitors did nothing in return (OK, they cried a little) and then they promptly failed their LD test and were run down for their efforts before the Autarch consolidated back a full 6" (Not that he would live much longer; but to make sure that no-one considered making a drive at the GJB's).

Both armies are holding an objective at this point, and it seamed that things could go either way as all the fancy reserve tricks were done and both armies had three working components on the battlefield.

Turn 4

Traitorous Guard
Movement is not so much (6" restriction to keep the Flying Armour of Doom actually firing with more than 1 gun) and the HQ squad shuffle forward a bit. Shooting has the Autarch getting plastered by every Traitorous Bullet available on the Battlefield (No reallyhe had to shot that Autarch with every single gun he had left to finally put it down -- and believe me I was starting to hope that I would get another turn with him, as he could wreck that command squad in one good go). Thus Greg had no Assaults so he twiddled his thumbs and turned the turn over to the Saim-Hann.

Saim-Hann
With their Evil leader dead, the Guardian Jetbikers wanted some revenge. Thus they lined up to get a good old fashioned Destructor shot (H-Flamer) on that Harker Squad (because you can't win if you can't score) and as many other Shuri-cannon and catipult shots as possible as well. The Destructor caused 4 instand death wounds; but the 2 Shuri-cannons and some catipult fire also caused 5 other wounds, thus Greg used some crafty wound allocation to insta-kill 2 guys while the Harker Squad was "Going-to-Ground" so they could use some increda-saves to prevent all other wounds (well done my friend). The Emboldne squad fired in another Cannon and 4 Catipults; but the Increda-save worked its magic again, and Greg had them pass their LD test as well. Thus the Guardian Jetbikers used their Assault move to regain an objective or to get some cover save terrain going on (sort-of). {please note how the Destructor squad is now nice and close to Greg's Harker unit}

In retrospect I pooched that and should have just fired the Destructor, while the rest adjusted position and fired at the Command Squad; but hind sight is 20/20 and I was blind at the time. Both armies were thus still posed to win the game; but the Eldar wer caught up in the Blood Lust that sometimes takes over within the Barbarous Saim-Hann.

Turn 5

Traitorous Guard
Greg takes little time to adjust his units with the HQ Squad advancing Centrally and the Flying Armour of Doom also then advancing forward on the center Objective. He then fired all his weapons available into the Destructor Squad and removed 3/5 instantly with his Lascannon fire. The squad luckily rolled low enough to stay in the fight (all 2 of them) and Greg was in position to contest 1 onbjective from the Eldar while retaining another with the Harker veterans.

Saim-Hann
The evil Eldar need to regroup and force the enemy to falter. Thus the Embolden squad builds a line stringing out from the Lower level of the Ruined Building with Harker in it so that they contest that objective, while they are still in proximity to score the Center Objective, and they have some firepower available to shoot up the Harker Veterans. The lowly 2 man Destructor Squad uses "Turbo" to hightail is back to a third objective in the ruins close to the Eldar battlefield edge. Shooting has 1 more Harker Veterans failing (even with G-T-G) but Harker and one of his buddies survives and passes their LD test (bloody increda-save)

{sorry forget to get a picture}

So the game could end here with the Saim-Hann controlling 2 objective and contesting 1; while the Traitorous Guard are merely contesting 1 Objective. But as it was in Gregs favour to have another turn I asked him to roll for it, and wouldn't you know it, he fires out a 5 and we "Game On"

Turn 6

Traitorous Guard
So the Vendetta advances minimally to keep all its shooting options, and the Command Squad advancing on the Central Objective. In shooting the Vendetta puts all 3 shots into the 2 Destructor Jetbikes and for some reason I use the 4+ cover save from the terrain instead of the 3+ Cover from Turbo (OK, we were bantering and we forgot that they used Turbo - I need to build a cool marker plate or something). Anyway, the Squad does not die (only the Warlock) but the last dude makes his Moral Check. Meanwhile the command Traitors shoot the Embolden Squad and manage to kill one(removed from center of unit), and then they roll a mesely 2-3 for their assault into Difficult Terrain and fail as its actually about 3.25" to go.

Saim-Hann
The Evil Saim-Hann abandon the Central Objective and converge on the Harker Veterans, while the lone GJB takes possition to score on the rear objective while being completely obscured from the enemy (with no chance for the enemy to see him within 2 turns of movement). In shooting the increda-save is once again used by the Harker veterans; but only Harker survies, and he passes his LD test. The Embolden Jetbikers then plow into Harker in an effort to finally kill him in CC (since he went to ground to surive anyway), and with some 12 Guardian attacks and 2 more from the Warlock it was a short fight (A draw, or course as neither side did anything worth noting).

{sorry I once again missed the picture}

Once again it was to Greg's advantage to have another turn so he rolled the Die, (2) and the game ended here with the Eldar in control of 2 Objectives and the Imperial Guard with nothing; thus it was an Eldar Victory. We actually played turn 7 to see what would happen; Harker died, GJB's held 2 objectives at the end of that, etc, etc.

The Aftermath

~~ Greg's Vendetta was nominated as the Veteran Squad (by me) and it will now get to re-roll all Dangerous Terrain tests in future battles.
~~ We both nominated one unit for the Eldar, so in future battles the Embolden GJB's will no longer be effected by Nightfight rules as they now have Night Vision, and the Destructor GJB's will benefit from FNP (now isn't that nice, GJB's with a really good chance to survive).

~~~ I would like to thank Greg for the game as he was a great opponent, we had a blast fudging in story line as we went (Davros rules BTW), bantering at each other, and squirming as both of us actually thought we were behind the eight ball several times in the game. I would also like to thank GW Halifax (Dave and the lads) for the use of their most excellent facility (Best GW store in the world). And I would like to thank Richard and John for taking part in the Campaign as well (I guess that I play Richard next and John plays Greg) but I am sure that we would accept more players on either/both teams if anyone is interested. Finally I want to thank all the guys that were watching, cheering, and those that read this Batrep.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:43:53 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
Re: Saim-Hann vs Imperial Guard (750pts, Friday Campaign round #1)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
I would love to give my jetbikes FNP.

You know you don't have to try and steal the initiative? The wording states several times that you May and "If you choose to"

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Saim-Hann vs Imperial Guard (750pts, Friday Campaign round #1)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »
I know I don't have to Steel the Initiative; but I wanna try to just for fun because I do it that seldomly (especially vs Greg).

And a neat twist to the campaign that I didn't know about is that the winner of the first round (Me) also gets to nominate one unit per winning battle for the final match up, and those units are all entitled to the Tank Hunter and the Preferred Enemy special rule, so the more games I win the more Units I get to nominate for that final match up (Sweet).

Thanks for reading it through and for the comment as my initial post might have suggested that its a must (and it is not).

Cheers

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Saim-Hann vs Imperial Guard (Friday Campaign round #1 & 2 done)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:51:23 AM »
Sorry for the Double post; but this is for game #2.

This is Game two of the Campaign and its @ 1000pts, Richard had a draw in his first game and he made the drawbreaker so he was deemed the winner for Campaign purposes (and as such he will get to nominate units for the final game to receive the appropriate Vet Skills of "Tank Busters" and "Preferred Enemy". Although for all other purposes his game was a Draw. I was the Winner of my first game; but I was lucky to beat Greg. Thus this game would help decide who was the "Attacker" in future games, etc.

First off the Lists @ 1000pts

Clan Saim-Lucster General moc065 (Ken)
HQ
(140) 1 Autarch on Jetbike, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters, and Fusion Gun.
(143) 1 Farseer on Jetbike, Fortune, Runes of Witness, Runes of Warding, and a Singing Spear.
TR
(210) 6 Guardian Jetbikes with 2 Shuri-cannons, +1 Warlock on Jetbike with Destructor and Singing Spear.
Vet Skill of "Feel No Pain"
(151) 4 Guardian Jetbikes with 1 Shuri-cannons, +1 Warlock on Jetbike with Embolden and Singing Spear.
Vet Skill of "Night Vision"
FA
(237) 5 Shining Spears, Exarch had Starlance, skilled rider and Withdraw.
881pts, 2 scoring units, 5 Killpoints, and 19 Jetbike Figures.

Imperial Tread Heads General Daedalus (Richard)
HQ
(145) Company Comm Squad (5) -- 3xMelta, 2xL-pistol, Flak Armour, Frags, Captain.
mounted in Chimera with H-stubber, H-bolter, M-laser, search light and Smoke.
TR
(165) Veteran Squad in Chimera (10) -- 3xMelta, 6XLasguns, Serg w/ L-pistol & CCW, Flak armour, Frags/Krak.
Mounted in Chimera with H-stubber, H-bolter, M-laser, search light and Smoke.
Veteran Skill of "Move Through Cover"
(375) Infantry Platoon:
Command Squad in Chimera (5) -- 3xMelta, L-pistol & CCW, Leutenant, Flak armour, Frags.
Infantry Squad in Chimera (10) -- 1xMelta, 8xLasguns, Serg w/ L-Pistol & CCW, Flak Armour, Frags
Infantry Squad in Chimera (10) -- 1xMelta, 8xLasguns, Serg w/ L-Pistol & CCW, Flak Armour, Frags
FA
(210) Armoured Sentinel Squad (3) -- with 3 Lascannons
(105) Scout Sentinal Squad (3) -- with 3 Multi-lasers
1000pts, 4 scoring units, 12 Kill Points, 51 Figures. 5 Tanks and 6 Walkers with 40 Infantry

The game was Capture and Control (2) Objectives, with a Dawn of War Deployment.
~~ Tread Heads won the roll off and choice his side, placed his objective (waited while I placed mine) then declared that he would have his army come on as Walk On reserves turn 1, with the Scout Sentinals "Outflanking" turn 2+.
~~ I setup my army with the Farseer well hidden and the rest to arrive as Walk On reserves turn 1.

Note that the 2 Objectives are
~~ (IG) Barrels near table edge dead center in trees.
~~ (SH) Titan's head on Right flank table edge by the ruins.
~~~ All terrain grants 4+ cover including the riverbed while your in it.

The Saim-Hann tried to Steel the Initiative, as I always do; but on a 2 I failed once again (which is pretty well the norm for me - but I do like making the effort.

Turn 1
Richards Tread Head roll onto the scene moving as far in as they can and setting up a pretty solid Defensive line.

My Saim-Hann Jetbikes use Turbo to enter and thus gain 3+ cover saves all around, they also set in to eliminate a fair bit of the Tread heads shooting as 9 shots per Chimera + Sentinals + any infantry inside with range etc really did scare me.

Turn 2
Tread Heads adjust his position slightly and unloads into the Emboldened Jetbike Squad, Killing 2 and causing a LD test which they easily pass.

The Saim-Hann get Fortune up and running on the Destructor Jetbikers and then respond by having the Autarch + Shining Spears advance on the Right Flank with Turbo, while the other Jetbikes pop out to shoot at Chimera before they pop back behind some cover. It should be noted that with 6 Penetrating hits on the side armour of one Chimera in the river, Richard was able to negate 4 of those hits and the other two mearly stunned the vehicle crew. It was a neat rule that Chimera are amphibious as I never knew that before, and it was extremely helpful to Richard as I really should have fired elsewhere at the time (oh well - part of this campaign is to learn things about each others army, and that amphibious rule is actually really neat)

Turn 3
Tread Heads have their Scout Sentinels arrive directly behind the Shining Spears.
He adjust his position slightly again and then peppers the Spears and Autarch with about a million rounds of ammo (OK, its was more like 40-50 shots). In the end the Spears and Autarch were removed as a whole, and I really should have run the Autarch with a different squad (oouch that shooting was way too effective; but nicely done none the less).

The Saim-Hann once again Fortune the Destructor Squad, and then adjust their position slightly to gain LOS and the Embolden Jetbikers wreck one Scout Sentinel and remove the guns from the other two before the pop back behind cover. The Destructor Squad once again fails to do anything with its shooting.

Turn 4
Tread Heads had all the tread Heads adjust position with some big moves to gain advantages on both Objectives and to gain LOS on the Saim-Hann that remained. In shooting he quickly removed one of the two remaining Embolden Jetbikes; but the casualty made the last jetbiker hidden from view; thus all other shooting turned on the Destructor Jetbikes. The weathered some 40+ shots from Chimera including those from the now unloaded Command Squad with Captain. After some poor dice for his Melta shots, the Jetbikes had one of their bretheren fall (well hey, they did have 3+ re-rollable saves, and FNP; but they also had some pretty good dice).

The Saim-Hann maintain Fortune on the Destructor Squad. The Lone Warlock on Jetbike pops out to take a pot shot at one of the Chimera; but his singing spear misses, while the Destructor squad lines up on the newly dis-embarked Command Squad with the Farseer seperating from the unit to line up on the Chimera. The Chimera loses its turret Multi-laser and the command squad is evaported before all the Jetbikes once again pop behind covering terrain.

Turn 5
Tread Heads continue his advance on the Eldar Objective while making sure his was well controlled. He also adjusted to gain some LOS on the remaining Saim-Hann Jetbikes; but he failed to cause any casualties this turn.

With the game possibly coming to a conclusion right here the Saim-Hann attempt to get bold so after maintaining Fortune on the Destructor Jetbikes, they move the entire squad (farseer rejoining in the move phase) so that they have LOS on the Sentinals and are in assault range as well. The Lone Warlock is the linch pin and he must deal with the Advancing Imperial Guard infantry that is making its way through the terrain to get to the Eldar Objective; thus he pops over the terrain to be within an inch of the infantry but on the far side far side of them (this would remove any cover saves from shooting, and ensure an assault that might pull the unit too far from the objective and hopefully cause a Draw condition in the game). First he has to pass his Dangerous Terrain test, and he does, so shooting insues and his Shuriken catipults kills 2 guardsmen. The Destructor squad then throws both of their Singing Spears at the Sentinals but miss with the Warlocks and the farseer fails to damage with his (stunned -- becomes shaken due to squadron). In the Assault phase the Destructor squad assaults the Sentinals and the manage to remove 2 Lascannons and shake the third sentinal; without ensueing return damage; and while the Lone Warlock moves that 1 inch to engage the Imperial infantry, he somehow wrecks himself on some low lying terrain (failed his Dangerous Terrain test (1), and his Invulnerable save (3)).

Argh the Saim-Hann plan has fallen short but; if the game ends here, it will at least end in a draw as the Objectives are both contested but not scored on at this point.

I rolled to see if there would be another turn (4) Game on.... Turn 6 & 7
Tread Heads have all of his forces work their way back toward his own objective except for the remaining 8/10 Guardsmen that are closest to the Saim-Hann objective. They advance on the objective and score it with ease. Meanwhile with no way to shoot at the remaingin Jetbikers and no desire to assault them, he watches as the CC ensues. Nothing happens in CC on either side (wow that was anti-climatic). During the Saim-Hann turn the same results ensue with no damage from either side and the Imperials easily holding one objective while the other was contested. We then rolled for a 7th turn and gamed on as it was a (5). Richard continued to "Encircle" the Saim-Hann but in the CC phase nothing ensued, and then I continued to do absolutely nothing in my phase.

Thus the game ended with Richard controlling the Saim-Hann objective and both of us Contesting the Imperial Guard Objective.

The Aftermath.
We discussed a few things (such as vehicle movement with spinning/turning etc) and I congratulated Richard on his Imperail Guard Win. He really did play the better game as I made mistakes right from Deployment forward and he was the better sportsman, and that is really what the game should be about.

~~ Richard earned 2 Veteran Skills for the game and he nominated his Armoured Sentinals as they weathered some 5 rounds of CC without dying; thus they will now have +1 Armour on their front for future games (wow AV 13 on a Senintal). I then nominated a Chimera (the Command one) as it weathered a fair bit of shooting and only lost its multi-laser; thus it too will now have +1 Armour on the Front for future games (wow an AV 13 Chimera). Richards Veteran Squad also remained more then 50% intact (actually 100%) and as such they will also retain their "Move Through Cover" veteran skill.
~~ I earned 1 Veteran Skill for the game and I nominated the Destructor Squad Guardian Jetbikers as they took a lot of shooting and only ever lost a single figure, I was hoping their shooting would do more; but the Chimera being amphibious was really neat for granting them cover in the river while not forcing a DT; thus the Destructor GJB's will now have "Counter-Assault" for future games as well as their retained "Feel No Pain". Meanwhile my Embolden Squad was killed outright and as such they also lost the Veteran Skill that they did have (bye bye).

Cheers and thank you for reading.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Saim-Hann vs Imperial Guard (Friday Campaign round #1, 2 & 3 done)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »
Starting this now and working on it over the thanksgiving weekend.

Third game "Training Mission" were you fight one of your own team-mates. 1250pts, Saim-Hann vs Biel-Tan.

Place your bets while I work on the Batrep, as the pictures here are the two armies pre-game.

Clan Saim-Lucster moc065
HQ
(143) 1 Farseer on Jetbike, Fortune, Runes of Witness, Runes of Warding, and a Singing Spear.
   (366) 7 Warlocks on Jetbike, Emb, Emb, Enh, Des, Des, Spear, & Spear.
TR
(210) 6 Guardian Jetbikes with 2 Shuri-cannons, +1 Warlock on Jetbike with Destructor and Singing Spear.
Vet Skill of "Feel No Pain" * "Counter-Assault"
(151) 4 Guardian Jetbikes with 1 Shuri-cannons, +1 Warlock on Jetbike with Embolden and Singing Spear.
Vet Skill of "Night Vision"
FA
1247pts, 2 scoring units, 6 Killpoints, and 25 Jetbike Figures.

Record for tournie is  Win (minor), Loss (major).

Biel-Tan Swordwind Johnathan
HQ
(188) 1 Farseer
Independent Character; (Fortune - Doom); Rune Armor;  Runes of Witnessing; Runes of Warding; Spirit Stones; Jetbike;
Vet Skill,
TR
(138) 10 Guardian Defenders;1 Grav Platform : Eldar Missile Launcher
1 Warlock(Destructor); Singing Spear

(277) Mechanized Unit
(152) 10 Dire Avengers (includes Exarch)
Exarch has Bladestorm; Duel Avenger Shuriken Catapults
(125) Wave Serpent; Spirit Stones; TL Shuriken Catapults; TL Scatter Lasers

(120) 5 Guardian Jetbikes 1xShuriken Cannon

Dire avengers x6 [72pts]
EL
(138) 6 Striking Scorpions (includes Exarch)
Exarch has Shadowstrike; Stalker; Biting Blade; Shuriken Pistol
HS
(140) 1 Wraithlord  2xFlamers; 1xBright Lance; 1xWraithsword
Falcon - Scatter laster, Holo-fields and spirit stones [175pts]
1248pts, 4 Scoring Units, 8 Kill Points.

Record for tournie is  Draw, Win (Massacre).

Here is the Battlefield. 4 Objetcives, Pitched Battle with Biel-Tan going first as the Attackers got to choose.

Seriously, place your gets, try to guess what either of would or could do, and see if your right.

More to follow, Cheers
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:16:25 PM by moc065 »

Offline DarienT

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
I guess from reading and seeing what I have so far I'd go with Biel-Tan Swordwind - Johnathan winning this one without some major luck on the side of Moc.  With more troops to play with as long as he gets to an objective and can hold, I can see him just needing to take down 1 of the 2 troop choices and gain an advantage.  Spread to thin and I can see Moc getting a win or tie in the last round.

Though that squad of jet bikes with FNP and CA might prove to be more useful that first thought in this match. Can't wait to see where it goes.
Peace through superior firepower.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »
I think the number of objectives favours Jonathon.

For Moc to win, he's going to have to pop at least 1 of the tanks, which probably means chasing them around the board with the council.

If Jonathon can keep away from them, and focus fire on the smaller JB unit, he's got it in the bag. Deploy the tanks either side of the table, flat out whichever one is threatened by the council whilst the other fires into the troops. foot sloggers are acceptable losses. Tank shocking the JBs with the Falcon could be a good tactic, as Moc may not feel he could risk his warlocks in DoG.

From Moc's point of view, his smaller JB squad may need a bit of babying, Serpent should be priority #1 for council & spears. Might be worth putting the autarch with the FNP JB squad to give another unit some serious AT capability.  The guardian squad can be left until late in the game, and I'd probably just accept the DAVU will survive, though if he can pop the falcon, the DAs are begging for a destructor.

Looking forward to the batrep!
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Saim-Hann vs Imperial Guard (Friday Campaign round #1, 2 & 3 done)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys and so far I am really liking my odds as your thoughts actually fall right in line with what many people tell me over and over again. And yet I keep trying to use my Jetbikes and minimal Troop choices in my efforts to retain the Saim-Hann style and feel to my army.

I agree that my job is the more difficult as my 2 Troops Choices do appear to be softer then those of the Swordwind; but wait, the Guardian Defenders have no skimmer to hide in, so I do think that I can go directly for them, the 5 Guardian Jetbikers are no tougher than my own, the Dire Avengers do pose a bit of an issue; but if they ever dis-embark and shoot at me, then I am guarenteed to be within return striking distance on my turn. So with that in mind, that was my game plan in a nutshell. Go directly for his good old fashioned footsloggin Defenders (even though I was sure he would protect them) and then when they were done, I could focus on whatever ventured too close to my Jetbikers and deal with them as needed. Of course I had the option to reserve stuff (and so did Johnatan) so lets see what really happened.

Third game "Training Mission" were you fight one of your own team-mates. 1250pts, Saim-Hann vs Biel-Tan.

Clan Saim-Lucster moc065
HQ
   (366) 7 Warlocks on Jetbike, Emb, Emb, Enh, Des, Des, Spear, & Spear.
TR
FA
1247pts, 2 scoring units, 6 Killpoints, and 25 Jetbike Figures.

Record for tournie is  Win (minor), Loss (major).

Biel-Tan Swordwind Johnathan
HQ
(188) 1 Farseer
Independent Character; (Fortune - Doom); Rune Armor;  Runes of Witnessing; Runes of Warding; Spirit Stones; Jetbike;
Vet Skill
TR
(138) 10 Guardian Defenders;1 Grav Platform : Eldar Missile Launcher
     1 Warlock(Destructor); Singing Spear
(277) Mechanized Unit
     (152) 10 Dire Avengers (includes Exarch)
     Exarch has Bladestorm; Duel Avenger Shuriken Catapults
     (125) Wave Serpent; Spirit Stones; TL Shuriken Catapults; TL Scatter Lasers
(72) 6 Dire avengers
EL
(138) 6 Striking Scorpions (includes Exarch)
     Exarch has Shadowstrike; Stalker; Biting Blade; Shuriken Pistol
HS
(175) Falcon - Scatter laster, Holo-fields and spirit stones
1248pts, 4 Scoring Units, 8 Kill Points.

Record for tournie is  Draw, Win (Massacre).

Here is the Battlefield. 4 Objetcives, Pitched Battle with Biel-Tan going first as the Attackers got choice. The Objectives were placed into 4 pieces of ruins (as per campaign description back of BBB) and the entire ruin counts as the Scoring area. Those areas are Top Left ruin, Bottom Left Ruin, Center Ruin, and Top Right ruin. After we placed the objectives, we set up as per "Pitched Battle" with Johnathan spreading out over his side of the battlefield with the DA in Skimmers, Defenders in the Ruin with some Wraithlord protection, and the JB's with Farseer almost central; Striking Scorpions would use shadowstrike to enter as "Outflankers" later in the game. Clan Saim-Lucster had the Full JBCouncil and the FNP-GJB's set up behind one set of ruins to at least get cover saves straight out of the box; both Characters were attached to the Council; Shining Spears and Embolden GJB's would arrive via regular Reserves later in the game.

I then rolled to try an steal the initiative; but as usual I failed (5). So the Swordwind would have first turn.

Turn 1
The Swordwind Fortunes up on GJB unit, Doom is not an option due to range.
     Jonathan advances his Guradian Jetbikes with turbo but after a short discussion he learns that a Farseer can not cast Psy powers and use Turbo, thus we let the GJB's stay at their 18" move but they have normal saves instead of Turbo Saves (they would get to that point anyway). He then advances his Wave Serpent Flat Out and as it lands part ways in terrain he rolls for Dangerous Terrain (why, because he had a re-roll for its DT's) anyway, he also rolled a 1 on the re-roll and the Serpent crashes. I think his plan was to lure the JBCouncil toward the Serpent and then fall back to purchase his Defenders more time; but since that plan went out the window, he emergency disembarks to get his Dire Avengers shooting into the JBCouncil.
     The Swordwind shooting starts with the Dire Anvengers plastering the Wildriders (JBCouncil) but even through some 32 shots, only 1 Spear-Warlock dies and the Farseer takes a wound (all other 8-9 saves were made). The Defenders can only see the FNP-JBs so they use their EML to shoot at them, and promptly miss the target, the Wraithlord then sends a BL shot into the FNP-JBs but although it hit the target, it failed to wound (and that was lucky for the Saim-Hann). With no Assaults the phase ends here (as we already agreed that he could simply leave the GJB's at their 18" position).
The Saim-Hann Fortunes up on the JBCouncil including Farseer and Autarch.
     The FNP-GJB's advance directly forward using Turbo to get about 13" from the Defenders and Wraithlord, while also remaining about 13" from the battlefield edge. The JBCouncil takes a direct flight towards the Stranded Dire Avengers making sure to at least get one nice angle with a DestructorWarlock.
     The Wildriders plaster the Dire Avengers with shuri-catipult fire and some Destructor Lovin. As the Bar-B-Q comes to an end only 5 Dire Avengers remain but they do pass their LD test (had they failed, there was little chance to get far enough from the council to ever regroup though anyway). Thus the JBCouncil Assaulted into them and the Autarch (Sir-Lance-O-Lot) uses his Plasma Grenades to quickly dispatch the remaining Dire Avengers. The Wildriders then use their Consol move to get themselves back out of any Dangerous Terrain

{Note that the Vyper part is only there to show that this area is scoring, and you might see other random Eldar bits laying around to perform the same function}

Swordwind = 2 objectives, Saim-Hann = 0 Objectives

Turn 2
The Swordwind Fortunes up the Biel-Tan GJB's with Farseer, Dooms the Saim-Hann GJB's. Reserves have the Striking Scorpions arriving on the Right side of the battlefield (beside the Saim-Hann Guardian Jetbikers).
     The Swordwind adjust the position of the Defenders to gain Catipult range on the Enemy GJB's, and the Wraithlord also advances on this squad. Meanwhile the Falcon adjust slightly to make sure it has good LOS on the enemy GJB's as well, but the Biel-Tan GJB's with Farseer decide to retain some distance from the Saim-Hann at this time and instead opt to gain another Objective for their army to hold.
     Shooting is intense as it begins with the Falcon shooting 2 Pulse and 1 Krak missile into the Saim-Hann GJB's, only 1 Pulse hits and the 3+ Turbo save negates that wound. Next the Biel-Tan Defender Guardians shoot but even though they caused 5 wounds, again the 3+ saves negates them all (FNP helped with one). The Wraithlord is next with duel Flamers and its BL, it manages 2 wounds (no cover saves) but once again the Saim-Hann 3+ Jetbike save prevails to negate those as well. The Striking Scorpions are next so they blast away with their pistols; causing 4 wounds and 1 actually got through to kill off one regular Saim-Hann Guardian Jetbiker. Finally the Biel-Tan shoot with their GJB's at the Wildriders; but the only weapon in range is the Shuri-cannon, and its missed all 3 shots. With no assault and no assault moves desired the phase ends here.
The Saim-Hann Fortunes up on the JBWarlocks. No Reserves arrive (I rolled a pair of 2's).
     Farseer + 6 Warlock JB's make their way directly for the enemy Wraithlord while the Guradian Jetbikers go for the enemy Defender unit as the Autarch joins them (he gave up the Fortune save; but gained FNP and Counter-Assault).
     The Spear Warlock throws at the Wraithlord with no effect and the GJB's decide to forgo shooting as they didn't want any enemy to fall back out of assault range. Thus the farseer and Warlocks assaulted the Wraithlord but only managed 1 wound on it (with 10+ saved wounds), the Wraithlord responded by attacking the Farseer; but his 2 wounds were saved. Then in the other assault the Autarch and GJB's managed to kill off 5 Defenders without taking any return casualties, the Biel-Tan passed their LD test though so the fight would continue.

Biel-Tan = 2 Saim-Hann = 0

More to follow

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
Turn 3
The Swordwind Fortunes up on the Guardian Jetbikers with Farseer.
     The Scorpioins move to assist the Wraithlord in CC, and with no available targets to shoot at, the rest of the Biel-Tan sit and wait to see how things evolve.
     CC has the Striking Scorpion Exarch with Biting Blade going first, and he kills the Enhancing Warlock, the Wraithlord swings way wide this round but not before the Farseer and 5 remaining Warlock Jetbikers manage to put 6-7 wounds on him, he actually failed 4 of those wounds and died. Thus the Striking Scorpions were are -2 for their LD test from Combat Rezolution and after they failed that test they were quickly run down by the Wildriders. Meanwhile the Autarch went first but failed to kill any Defenders; and in the ensuing combat only 1 Defender Guardian died; but again the Biel-Tan fail their LD test and are run down for their efforts.
The Saim-Hann Fortunes up on the Warlock JB's with Farseer, Reserves have both the Shining Spears and the Embolden JB's entering the battle. The Embolden JB's use Turbo to cruise onto the battlefiled center while the Shining Spears line up to assault the enemy Farseer and GJB's.
     The Warlocks and Autarch then use Turbo to join together and go directly towards the Enemy Falcon while the Farseer drives over to join with the newly arrived Embolden JB's, and the FNP-GJB's pop over the terrain to ensure a good and safe position for the rest of the battle while they score the Top-Right objective.
     There is no shooting declaired as the Saim-Hann are more interested in Close Combat vs their bretheren Biel-Tan. And as the Shining Spears assault into the GJB's they quickly dispatch all 5 Biel-Tan JB's without taking any return casualties from the enemy Farseer. The Biel-Tan Farseer is now testing at -5 for his ComRez LD test and after failling that, he is quickly run down by the Shining Spears who consolidate towards the enemy Falcon.

Biel-Tan = 1 Saim-Hann = 2

Turn 4
The Swordwind
     With very few options the Biel-Tan Falcon adjusts its position slightly and shoots at the Saim-Hann; but the pulse lasers only wounded 1 Jetbike, and that would was quickly negated by a save.
The Saim-Hann Fortunes up on the Embolden GJB's with Farseer.
     The GJB's remain in position while the Shining Spears and Warlocks with Autarch advance on the Biel-Tan Falcon. Shooting only causes a "Shaken" result; but the ensueing Assault by the Autarch and Warlocks explodes the Falcon and kills 2 Dire Avengers as they try to escape the wreckage. They manage both their Pin and Moral tests though and decide to fight on (Hey, its a training mission - so train they will).

Biel-Tan = 0 Saim-Hann = 2

Turn 5
The Swordwind
     With no were to go, the last remaining Biel-Tan decide to shoot at possibly kill the un-fortuned Warlock squad. with 8 shots they hit with 7, wound with 3 and they actually killed 1 Warlock (Spear dude).
The Saim-Hann
     The Saim-Hann adjust their Embolden Warlocks to actually score on both the Center and the Bottom Left objectives while the FNP-GJB's remained in possition to score on the Top Right objective; meanwhile the Shining Spears, Warlocks, and Autarch amass around the "Dire" Avengers. As the Saim-Hann simply skipped most of their shooting for the entire battle they wished to prove that they could infact shoot when the situation called for it; thus both units decided to unload their Shuri-cats into the Biel-Tan Dire Avengers. The Warlocks and Autarch went first, and when the dust settled all 4 enemy Dire Avengers were gone; thus the Shining Spears never even got to fire a shot.

Biel-Tan = 0 Objectives, Saim-Hann = 3/4 Objectives Victory Saim-Hann and a complete Massacre

As this was a Training Mission for the campaign neither player could forfeit a veteran skill but the winner did earn one more skill. Johnathan nominated the JB Council as the most deserving unit as they mowed through 10 Dire Avengers, then killed a Wraithlord and 6 Striking Scorpions in CC, before pounding a falcon into the dirt and finally shot the last remaining Dire Avengers off the battle field. We rolled for their skill and they will now also have the Veteran Skill of "Scouts" for future battles.

Johnathan was a great opponent and we are actually partners in this event, so his 1500pts and my 1500pts will combine to face the 2 Imperial Guard players for the next battle in the campaign. I am not sure where he will take his army; but he said that as his DA Exarch died (again) that he and that entire squad will be replaced for the next battle. He had some poor dice to start with; but he also had some good ones like when his Wraithlord made all but 1 save on some 12+ wounds. Overall I think that both of us learned stuff as I actually needed to look up Guradian Jetbike stats since I almost never use them to assault, but FNP made it to tempting to resist using them in that manner.

I thank you all for reading this report and feel free to comment, as I know that we are facing some very tough opponents in the next battle, so any ideas will help. Please understand that I will simply be adding more jetbike units to my army, as the victor can not adjust any unit that was used in the battle. My initial thought is like this.
1247pts (existing army)
+(173) 5 Guardian Jetbikes with 1 Shuri-cannons, +1 Warlock on Jetbike with Embolden and Singing Spear.
+(76) 3 Guardian Jetbikes with 1 Shuri-cannons.

Thus I would have 4 Troop units and each would be different. Also as the team with the most wins thus far, the Eldar will be the Attackers for the next battle and as such we get to choose the Deployment type. I was thinking that DoW might actually help us as we most certainly have the speed advantage on the Imperial Guardsmen; but ideas are welcome if you care to share them.

Cheers.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
Re: Saim-Hann vs Imperial Guard (Friday Campaign round #1,2 & 3 done)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 06:36:02 PM »
Was this played before the FAQ was released? I ask because his serpent doesn't have vectored engines and it destroyed itself of terrain while going flat out. Which now means that the crew of DA's should have died instantly instead of disembarking.

Other than that good game. I'm certainly taking notes as I am putting together my own saim hann army shortly
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:37:04 PM by AXEBLADE »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 07:00:11 PM »
We had not read the FAQ until after the game, so his DA got to emergency Dis-embark. New rules certainly wouldn't have helped him in any way.

Cheers

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »
Great batrep, looks like it was a fun game.

As for your new game coming up, I highly suggest Dawn of War as it favors the fast.

Then a little advice for fighting IG, keep your spacing to the max, if you are allowed 2" between models make sure your models are at 2". Where I play the amount of templates that land on you are horrendous. Other than that kill anything that has long range first.

Good luck and ride like the wind.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline DarienT

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
Great battle report as always. I hope to have terrain like that someday.

Anyway congrats on the major win. The dice seemed to really fall your way. Though if you could clear up why he moved the wave serpent into terrain like that I'd love to know why. I try to stay out of it for just that reason.

Reading through I see better how to use jet bikes and really move them around to get the best angle of attack. Something I've been working on myself. First I have to get better at judging distance then onto the more involved tactics. That cover save does work well to keep them alive, nice rolling.

I'd agree with the council being the star of the show, it is suppose to be a machine and it was.

Next game I agree that DoW would be a good choice. IG aren't that great if you get in close with them so I'd go that route. Sooner you can close the gap the better. What better way to do that than under cover of darkness.

Can't wait for the next one.
Peace through superior firepower.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2010, 04:57:28 AM »
Great Batrep, Moc.

DoW would seem the obvious choice -and now that your HQ has scout, you might even be able to get into cc turn 1 under cover of darkness. A rare treat.

In terms of expanding your army extra troops certainly can't hurt, but is there perhaps a place for some vypers (or hornets if allowed) to get some ranged AT? Guard are possibly the army best equipped to handle S6 shooting, and the Russ's battle cannon in particular would seem a priority target when fielding a jetbike army.

I feel a bit dirty offering advice to a player who would clearly rinse me on the field, but I'm learning a lot just getting involved.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #14 on: December 1, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »
I really appreciate the comments guys. DoW does seam like the best fit in some regards; but Spearhead has certain appeals as well since we could get all of our 3000pts of Eldar on the table to begin with and avoid Nightfight. Its a small space for 3000pts of Imperial Guardsmen to cram into as well, and there are hidden advantages such as reserves arriving on the long table edge of your quarter (and I have used this fact on several occasions to get arriving units into CC instantly - yeah Shining Spears). It also lends itself very nicley to Flank Rushing to limit some return fire etc. "Scout" will really help to get the Farseer + Warlocks into early possition, and since Autarchs actually gain the skill set fo the unit the join (aside from Shadowstrike), he will most likely start with the JBCouncil as well. Thus they will most likely get a 3+ Cover Save for all of Turn 1, and possibly get into CC as well (which is where I do want them if I can slam into 2-3 Chimera/Russ/Valkyrie/Sentinals that haven't moved yet, etc). Pitched Battle does not look that appealing to me at this time; but I am still open to ideas on it. But the FNP on the Destructor Jetbike unit is also huge, as its almost a re-roll to armour saves, and Guardsmen are not known for bringing Power Weapons to every fight.

For this Campaign I will be only using Jetbikes due to theme and personal Challange. I really like the idea of Saim-Hann going all Jetbikers and although the Vyper is technically a Jetbike Vyper (and I do have loads of them) I just want to stick to the all infantry class of Jetbikes for this campaign atleast. I actually don't think that the Hornet is classed or titled as a Jetbike (I will check later) so its not really an option (although I am building one as we speak).

I have a real good idea of what my ally is bringing to the battle so here are our proposed lists. Feel free to add comments or suggestions, and don't feel that you would insult me due to my experience level. I learn stuff every day, and some of the best ideas are arrived upon by people with a "fresh" viewpoint.

Biel-Tan Swordwind Johnathan (allowed to drop any one full unit before adding stuff)
HQ
(155) 1 Avatar
(188) 1 Farseer on Jetbike: Fortune, Doom, Runes of Witnessing, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones
Vet Skill
TR
(138) 10 Guardian Defenders;1 Grav Platform : Eldar Missile Launcher ~~ 1 Warlock(Destructor); Singing Spear
(277) Mechanized Unit
~~    (72) 6 Dire avengers
~~    (125) Wave Serpent; Spirit Stones; TL Shuriken Catapults; TL Scatter Lasers
EL
(138) 6 Striking Scorpions. (includes Exarch): Exarch has Shadowstrike; Stalker; Biting Blade; Shuriken Pistol
(80) 5 Fire Dragons.
HS
(175) 1 Falcon: Scatter laster, Holo-fields and spirit stones
(160) 1 Nightspinner: Holo-fields and Stones.
1491pts, 3 Scoring Units, 11 Kill Points, 39 Figures.

Ideas welcome especially in regard to FD's going in Serpent or in Falcon. Remember core must remain the same as last game; but any one unit can be dropped before adding new stuff, no other in unit alterations are allowed.

Saim-Hann moc065 (restricted to not alter last list)
HQ
(509) Jetbike Council
~~ (143) 1 Farseer on Jetbike, Fortune, Runes of Witness, Runes of Warding, and a Singing Spear.
~~ (366) 7 Warlocks on Jetbike, Emb, Emb, Enh, Des, Des, Spear, & Spear.
Veteran Skill "Scouts"
TR
FA
(237) 5 Shining Spears, Exarch has Starlance, Skilled Rider and Withdraw.

Option A.
(76) 3 Guardian Jetbikes with 1 Shuri-cannon.
(173) 5 Guardian Jetbikes with 1 Shuri-cannons, +1 Warlock on Jetbike with Embolden and Singing Spear.

Option B.
(252) 5 Shining Spears, Exarch has Starlance, Shuri-cannon, Skilled Rider and Withdraw.

1496-1499pts, 2-4 scoring units, 7-8 Killpoints, and 30-34 Jetbike Figures.

Again Ideas are welcome as always, and the game is 10 Dec 2010 I think, as we are skipping a week so I do have time to weigh out my options.

IG will have this as a minimum.
5-7 Chimera with H-Stubbers (9 shots a piece), expect Veteran Squads in those with 3 Melta.
3-6 Armoured Sentinals with Lascannons.
3-6 Scout Sentinals with Multilasers.
Vendetta, expect another Vet squad in here with Plas I would think.
Ogryn squad because Greg is insane that way -- or some other equally less used unit.
2-3 Leaman Russ tanks (more guns).

Both IG generals have bucket loads of figures but the armour has been their strongest advantage thus far so I expect them simply add more and more of it (little dudes inside actually do help too). The Sentinals have also been working for them on a whole, so I expect those as well and the same goes for the Vendetta. The Leaman Russ's are a stab in the dark as I haven't seen either guy use them yet; but they will have both have 500pts to work with, so they could do a squad of those each easily enough. Greg is a bit insane (like me) so I do expect him to have one unit that is just totally out of theme such as the Ogryn, or a Big Blob, or a Psycher Choir, etc. He is an extremely good general, so I never discount his weirdness factor; while Richard is a very simply yet effective style guy, and I fully expect him to simply add as much shooting as he can get since it has served him well in the past.

Cheers guys, and honestly, fire me ideas as they all help; and dont' feel dirty about it, I don't.

Offline c10ralph

• Molon Labe
« Reply #15 on: December 1, 2010, 08:25:17 PM »
I like your option B, as it plays to your particular play style better, or at least what I've seen from your batreps with this army. Having yet another unit to surprise the enemy and hit hard at the right time in close combat just seems like the Saim-Hann style to me. I really don't like the smallest jetbike unit in option A, but I've never liked the hope for last turn arrival and park on an objective units.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: December 5, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
thus all other shooting turned on the Destructor Jetbikes. The weathered some 40+ shots from Chimera including those from the now unloaded Command Squad with Captain. After some poor dice for his Melta shots, the Jetbikes had one of their bretheren fall (well hey, they did have 3+ re-rollable saves, and FNP; but they also had some pretty good dice).

I read this and had to kinda pause reading big time to ask a question.   The problem with posting several battle reports is that it makes it really hard to respond to when you see something that is questionable.  And in this paragraph while I could see them weathering all that shooting with as many multilasers as your opponent has would be a bit less likely but not impossible, just looking for some clearification.

Not sure if you are playing the jetbikes right with FNP.  Multilasers which are the primary weapon on Chimera's will negate your FNP on your bikes.  I read this and saw the 40 some shots from chimeras but I know your opponent was fielding some serious amounts of Str 6 and above stuff all of which negates FNP on jetbikes as it goes by unmodified toughness. 

And now to keep reading... (awesome battle reports btw)

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #17 on: December 5, 2010, 03:46:49 PM »
Well he had some 5 Chimera with Multilaser, H-Bolter and H-Stubber on each so that was about 45 shots; but only 15 were with Multi-lasers, and only some 6-7 of these even hit. Those did cause some 4-5 wounds; but as we used a different colour of dice for those one, I actually did save them on the regular 3+ save on the GJB's. FNP was only used vs the few H-Bolter and H-Stubber wounds that I failed to save. We were actually very carefull about what shots did what, and used multiple different coloured dice to keep things sorted, as in some cases he even had some puny Lasgun fire adding to the mix, etc. His Melta-guns never go within range except for one turn, and then they failed to even hit the Jetbikers. I got some good saves in that round of fire; but I also got the bad dice earlier when he evaporated the Shining Spears and Autarch.

Great question though and I do hope that others make sure to play each shot to its fullest potential when using a variety of weapons from one unit.

Cheers

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: December 5, 2010, 09:44:34 PM »
very good battle reports.  I definately like the armies and scenery.  As far as game play goes those jetbikes seem to be doing really well.  As far as your other question I am thinking option b, as it is another assault unit.   

I always have a fear with small model count armies but it seems that you play it very well so congrats and good luck with the rest of the campaign.

Offline Landjorden

« Reply #19 on: December 8, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
I like these battle reports alot :D. I´m getting really inspired to start my own jetbike army. Keep up the good work!