News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rest in Peace, Bryan Ansell, the mighty dark winged lord of chaos  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Sad news from the world of Warhammer today with the passing of Bryan Ansell - for those of a certain age, you’ll know that he was responsible for defining the Warhammer games and universes during a pivotal time for Games Workshop. I’ve attached a great interview from a blog that talks about his work - give it a read if you’re interested!

Realm of Chaos 80s: The Mighty Avenger: An interview with Bryan Ansell

(Text and link forwarded from Kirton Games' page, the buisness venture of Col Gravis, formerly of this Parish)
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Rest in Peace, Bryan Ansell, the mighty dark winged lord of chaos
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 07:44:09 PM »
Thank you for posting that link.  I remember Bryan Ansell's work for GW very fondly.  I am sad to hear that he is no longer with us.  I may still have some of his original White Dwarf contributions floating around somewhere, I will have to look.  I certainly do still have my copy of Realms of Chaos.  That fantastic creation will always stand the test of time in my opinion.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2024, 07:58:55 AM »
As I understand it, he later went and founded his own private miniature company, where they made old-school style minis. Some people might be interested in checking that out.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 11:28:30 AM »
As I understand it, he later went and founded his own private miniature company, where they made old-school style minis. Some people might be interested in checking that out.

He sold citadel and Games Workshop (after living in tax exile for the minimum required time) which got him the 1980s retirement dream of a few million to sit on.
He kept the rights to some of the older and discontinued citadel models and created Wargames Foundry (also based in nottingham). A lot of GW sculptors did historical models for him on the side like the Perry Twins. I always meant to visit his museum but have been crap and never got around to it...

If you're interested there is a youtube channel with interview's of the studio team where they talk about the early days?
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014