News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: One FW Ork thing  (Read 1021 times)

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
One FW Ork thing
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »
Hey Guys!

Some friends of mine are doing a FW order in time for Xmas and I'm thinking of getting something.  I was wondering what people thought I should get for building an IA8 list.  Meka Dread?  Mega Dread?  What armaments?  I'm a fan of the big Ork stuff.

I saw some of the huge Ork tanks on FW as well but I guess they are not in the IA8 list.  Has anyone had a chance to try any of those tanks out?  Is there a thread on the FW Ork tanks out there somewhere?  Please let me know.

MekEad
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: One FW Ork thing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:36:31 AM »
I've played against the Mega Dread before. It's a really cool model, and a lot of fun. Good amount of power as well, but with only Ironclad armour it's still venerable to shooting. The Kill Kannon for it is a must though, ordinance is always a fun thing to have. I've not seen anything else of the orks at my store though.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:55:24 AM »
Combining forgeworld orders to get free postage is a good plan, I often do that.

The grot tanks are pretty fun, plus they can 'count as' buggies to use them without forgeworld rules. Alternatively if you just fancied things that look cool consider the alternative trukks, with either half trakks or full traks they add lots of variety to the look of an army.

If you wanted something that simply going to be really useful then I'd probably recommend the warboss on bike. Up to you really, with forgeworld you can end up spending waaay too much money on toys! :)
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »
If you are going an IA8 list then the big traxx are a good option.  However a costly one. 

I just purchased a Mega Dread off of someone, new in bags and saved a crap load of cash. 

When I was going to place an order I was going to get the Mega Dread with a klaw and a killkannon.  I have heard a lot of people go for two claws but what is the point.  With our limited options for taking ordinance and the fact that it is on a walker is even better. 

I liked the mega dread better than the meka dread but that depends on ur list build and if you are going for Apocalypse...  I wanna field a Dread Mob for a formation so there could be some use for taking a Meka Dread.

My vote is for a Mega dread with killkannon and klaw.  Keep him near a KFF and you can put down a good barrage while advancing.  That was my number 1 want from FW.  I still am going to be ordering a big traxx though plus a kill kannon for it and a kannon for my big squiggoth.  I also like the Boss on a bike but I have seen a few of them for sell locally so I should be able to save a few bucks..   Probably not as much as I did on the Mega Dread though  :) I got a steal on it and on my big squiggoth.

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
I agree about buying second-hand.  Let the enthusiasts pay full price for the awesome resin models, lose interest and sell out at a lower price!

I pondered it a bit and considering the time/$$ investment I'm going for the Warboss on a Bike.  It'll definitely be a useful model that can be used anytime with the Orks.  Hopefully I'll build a Dread Mob list in the future but will look for second-hands online.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: November 4, 2010, 01:48:06 AM »
The ork boss on a bike is a great model.  With his size he will stand out and be a good centerpoint for your army.  Not to mention the model is very cool and highly detailed.  Again I think you hit it on the nose because the boss on a bike can be used in regular games where a Mega Dread cannot. 

I couldn't pass up on owning a Mega Dread though especially considering I run a Kan wall / dreadbash type list. 

Good luck on your purchase and post up some pics when you get him painted.