News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Friend wants a necron army. Help needed  (Read 1080 times)

Offline .:Darkness:.

• Zombie Jesus is notoriously hard to put down.
Friend wants a necron army. Help needed
« on: December 11, 2006, 12:17:20 AM »
Ok i was having a chat to my friend today. He said he wanted a shooty army and was looking at chaos. i said that choas are more tooled for CC and hes like yeah i spose anyway we had a discussion and he didnt want to buy an army that somone else already owned (Somone in our group has chaos so thats out)

After a while he settled on necrons and i was like (Crap i have a monolith on my hands now :p) but me not being necron savy i was wondering what you guys would consider in starting a necron force.

He said he wanted a shooty force but said he wanted static. I advised him to go mobile shooty as its usually better but im no expert.

im thinking destroyers for mobility and a lord with resurection orb would be a good idea. So what im saying is.. What advice would you give a newbie who has never played warhammer before but has a decent understanding of the rules and would like to start a necron shooty force? *Breath*

Possibly write up a 500 - 1000 point balanced necron list that he could go apon when buying his necrons.
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“I do so” I said defensively. “I’ve got my lasgun and my trusty bayonet”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline MagickCrafter

• PM me if you need animated/non-animated graphics
    • Designandprogram.com
Re: Friend wants a necron army. Help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:41:17 AM »
First thing, get a battleforce and a lord.  (Without destroyer body, you most likely want a footslogger.)  Your lord will prolly look something like this:

Necron Lord:
  Res Orb, Veil of Darkness

You can replace the Veil with any other combo of wargear you like.  And include the rest of the battleforce plus that lord in your army.  That should yield you like 1000 points.  Let him play with it, see what he likes/dislikes, and he can build an army from there. 

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:35:58 PM »
Start off by proxying an army in 500 point games.  Let him choose what he likes.  Give a guy a change to make up his own mind.
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 10:49:26 PM »
Well, Necrons can win at attrition at 24", but they're not really a static force.  Depending on the stats of the Pylon, that might be the one thing that could force the army to move toward the army toward a Necron firing line.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:17:14 AM »
He says he wants a lord on a destroyer body. Also i thik he is going to buy some necrons warriors on friday. But hes getting somthing for christmas to do with necrons aswell. I tell him to get the battleforce for chrissy and we will see whats there on friday.

anything else?
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »
The Necron battleforce and a Lord of any kind really is the best start.

After that...all the Necron units have decent rules. What makes an army good or bad is the amount of each you take in itself and in relation to the other choices in the army.

So start off with the Lord and Battleforce. Then he could pick whatever other Necron unit he likes the look of best. He should have almost a 1000 point army then.

Next step, play games! 

Offline Tyranid_Wannabe

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Es ist ein schönes Schiff
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:26:21 AM »
I suggest proxying models with spare bases that way he/you can design many armylists and try them out and see which he likes best. He'll probably need to buy the battleforce sooner or later as its great value so he probably should get that for chrissy if he wants to buy something.
Heed my wisdom, ignore my ignorance

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 06:26:44 AM »
Well last friday he got the necron box, boltgun metal and scorpion green. One brush and the codex. No primer though but meh. I havnt heard from him sence then but apparently he was going to another mates house and priming / painting them there.

Hopfully when we get together on monday we can work somthing out as to what to get next.

On the topic, as an SM player what should i fear in a necron army? Im thinking along the lines of ld 10, monilith, we'll be back, always wounds on 6 kind of stuff (I had a chance to skim through the codex before we headed off to our homes  ;) ) apart from that though they seem pretty decent tough guys.

Im thinking for him he would want to get a monolith, lord (Possibly on destroyer body) with VoD and Res orb.

If i can borrow his codex for a night i should try and write up a list and il get you guys to critique it aswell.

Offline aetherguy881

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 09:16:19 PM »
Start off by proxying an army in 500 point games.  Let him choose what he likes.  Give a guy a change to make up his own mind.

500 Point games are too hard to play with necrons when you're just starting. He'll get frustrated and will decide to not play necrons.
|T|O|O| |L|A|Z|Y|-My antidrug

Please join Theopia, from where my picture came. When, if you register, please aknowlage that you were refered by aetherguy881.

W   L   D
Necrons           10   4    1
Space Wolves