News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: $@^?@$&@ing Pyskers  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Karl Eller

• OMG Laserguns!, Colonel-Commissar
  • Ancient
  • This is madness?! THIS IS LINUX!!!
Re:$@^?@$&@ing Pyskers
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2003, 11:28:36 PM »
...Seer councils are nice, but fully geared-up they are VERY expensive, meaning the rest of his army shouldnt be that difficult...

I know a friend that in a 1000 pt army he has 2 minimum guardian squads, 5 banshies *shudder*, 5 reapers, a Wraithlord, and a fully tooled up Seer Counsel. *shudders some more* I hate 4+ inv with re-rolls.
"Explain how bad this turbulence will be"
"Oh god! Oh god! We're going to die"
"*over the intercom* Uh, this is your captain speaking, we're going to experience a few minor bumps, then uh... crash!"

Offline Sr. Commissar Gribb

• Senior Commissar
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Whoa! What's this guy doing on here?
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2003, 02:46:04 PM »
BUY SOME PARIAHS! warscythe means no invulnerables +they have psychic abomination!

oops- this is the tau board isnt it?
"The Old Guard" of 40kO

The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a junior officer with a compass and a map.

Offline monkeyk1ng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2003, 04:01:11 PM »
yeah,
    do you get normal armor saves against singing spears?
In the hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide
In and age of insanity it is the madman

in the hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide
in the age of insanity it is the madman

Offline §ilent§torm

• Time to roll out the unwelcome mat!
    • Genesis
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2003, 04:44:01 PM »
yeah, you get normal armor saves. so its good for two things really- tank busting (strength 9 vs armor), and taking down daemons (seeing as how their saves are invulnerable, the 2+ to wound is ideal). normal armor saves are allowed, so theyre not that great for good save troops.

§ilent§torm
"Strike fast and suddenly. Attack without warning. Secure victory before the foe is aware of his danger.

Remember always, a war is easily won if your enemy does not know he is fighting."
-Lord Macharius Solar
___________________ ___________________ ___________

"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival.

Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush."
-Scriptorus Munificantus

Offline Orlanth

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2003, 02:10:59 AM »
A Seer Council is a special HQ unit for an Ulthwe army. Now ulthwe is a guardian army with armour 5 for its troops.

So your pulse rifles can mince them.

The aspect warriors fall very nicely to rail gun submunitions and missile pods. With one or two exceptions with 3+ saves.

Meanwhile you ignore the seer council altogether. If you cant do that hit them with pulse rifle fire. They will sabve anyway so kill them with massed S5 weapons. They will fail enough saves to matter, after all you wound on 2+.
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, by the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline monkeyk1ng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2003, 12:57:22 PM »
yes but if that one little exception is a unit of ten scorpions you can see the problem, especialy when they are given a wave serpent
In the hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide
In the age of insanity it is the madman
in the hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide
in the age of insanity it is the madman

Offline §ilent§torm

• Time to roll out the unwelcome mat!
    • Genesis
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2003, 08:04:38 PM »
...Seer councils are nice, but fully geared-up they are VERY expensive, meaning the rest of his army shouldnt be that difficult...

I know a friend that in a 1000 pt army he has 2 minimum guardian squads, 5 banshies *shudder*, 5 reapers, a Wraithlord, and a fully tooled up Seer Counsel. *shudders some more* I hate 4+ inv with re-rolls.

Ouch that army is pretty much all geared up for power-armor. Or Tau. Kind of a waste on guardsman and Tyranids though. Sounds a lot like my Eldar list, cept of course, mines Biel-Tan, so i dont have to bother with those minimum squads of Guardians.

Your friend's army isnt very unaccurate as far as fluff. Normally Ulthwe relies on the trained Guardians of their army to win battles. Though if he just gives them starcannons each then he is the closest thing to a power gamer, if he isnt one already.

Yeah, any gun with ap of 4 is great for mowing down banshees, reapers, and dragons, since they are only toughness 3. Thats one downside to banshees. I once nearly won an assault against a Necron lord and a squad of warriors, only to have them viel away from me on the next turn and see every banshees bar the exarch get mown down by destroyers from long range. Almost got my wraithlord to smash those destroyers, but i shot first and the front guys went down, and i was out of assault range then. A flamer actually took a destroyer down! he got up with wbb, but thats not the point.

§ilent§torm
"Strike fast and suddenly. Attack without warning. Secure victory before the foe is aware of his danger.

Remember always, a war is easily won if your enemy does not know he is fighting."
-Lord Macharius Solar
___________________ ___________________ ___________

"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival.

Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush."
-Scriptorus Munificantus

Offline deadparrot42

• SMEG!
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2003, 11:15:33 PM »
Actually, Ulthwe would be pretty hard to beat w/tau (and is, at least using my army). The seer council is rock hard, and not that expensive if you use them as anti-char snipers and guiders. All my 45ish guardians have cover saves, always, and a weapons platform. And then my WS can just zip up behind cover, and then unload its nasty payload of banshees on the lines. And my D-cannons take care of those CTM(or, rather, tau jetpack) suits like there aint no tomorrow.

I would just ignore the council, stay out of LoS (of Mindwar), and of SS range. you should be good. I'd worry about the assault troops, more.
"The ships floated in the air, much like bricks dont" -Douglas Adams

Offline ~~~

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2003, 02:50:08 PM »
farseers are T4, there about the only ones who are cept WL and Avatars which are 6-8 and phoenix lords at T4

Offline Karl Eller

• OMG Laserguns!, Colonel-Commissar
  • Ancient
  • This is madness?! THIS IS LINUX!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2003, 07:29:17 PM »
well... the army list is for vs Deathwing...
"Explain how bad this turbulence will be"
"Oh god! Oh god! We're going to die"
"*over the intercom* Uh, this is your captain speaking, we're going to experience a few minor bumps, then uh... crash!"