News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Coming back to the game - 1500 Tau list  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
Coming back to the game - 1500 Tau list
« on: April 14, 2018, 03:27:40 AM »
Having had a long break from the game I have been tempted to have another look recently, so I've picked up a copy of the 8th Edition Rules (haven't played since really since 6th), and the T'au Codex.

Having had a quick flick through, I have a couple of questions, which are probably really obvious:
-A load of the models have the Jet Pack keyword, but I can't find any explanation of what that means in game terms. Where do I look?
-I can't find a points value to increase one squad member to a squad leader (Shas'ui/Shas'vre).

But ignoring those concerns for a moment, I've thrown together a list which I'd be interested in opinions on.  It's chosen mostly on the basis of the models I have/like, but I'd be interested in ideas to tune it before I try to fight with it.

Battalion Detachment - Bork'an Sept

Cadre Fireblade
Pulse Rifle, Markerlight, Photon Grenades

Cadre Fireblade
Pulse Rifle, Markerlight, Photon Grenades

Strike Team
Shas’ui, 9 Fire Warriors, all w/ pulse rifles

Strike Team

Strike Team

Pathfinder Team
5 Pathfinders, all w/ markerlights

Pathfinder Team
5 Pathfinders, all w/ markerlights

Devilfish
Burst cannon, Gun Drones

Devilfish
Burst cannon, Gun Drones

Vanguard Detachment - Sa'cea Sept

XV8 Commander
4 Missile Pods, Iridium armour

XV104 Riptide
Ion Accelerator, Plasma Rifles

XV25 Stealth Team
Shas’vre, 2 Stealth suits, all w/ burst cannons, 2 Gun Drones

XV25 Stealth Team
Shas’vre, 2 Stealth suits, all w/ burst cannons, 2 Gun Drones

XV8 Crisis Team
Shas’vre, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle. 2x XV8 w/ Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster

Power 79, 1499pts, 10 CPs

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Coming back to the game - 1500 Tau list
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 06:21:18 AM »
Jet Pack keyword doesn't have any special rules built in.

Squad leader upgrades are free for the most part. When it shows the per-model unit costs in the back, that's the same cost for a squad leader, so it's almost always a good idea to take a squad leader.

Depending on how you lay out your army, the second fireblade may not have much to do (though he is cheap at least).

Strike Teams might be better off as 5-man squads for tactical flexibility, though you'll get some drawbacks since buffs and stratagems won't affect them as much.

Pathfinder teams seem fine. Maybe take pulse accel drones to hang out with the firewarriors.

Devilfish don't seem as needed for pathfinders and such in your list, since most things have decent range. Might be more useful if you were running breachers?

Commander looks good, though I'd consider options other than missile pods, since he has great ballistic skill and mobility, so he can really get the most out of high damage shorter range weapons.

Stealth teams look good, solid units. Gun drones would be more useful attached to Commander or Crisis team, where they can do Savior Protocols for those more expensive suits.

Crisis team might be happier with a different weapon loadout, though i'm not as sure what's ideal on the codex. Also, looks like the Shas'Vre has a slot for another weapon or system.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:18:31 AM »
Welcome back to the Tau!

I will second a lot of what Blazinghand said. I will say that there is really nothing wrong with mounting Bork'an strike teams in Devilfish, as their increased rapid fire range means them + Fireblade = some serious pain with some serious range.

But yes, if you've got Strike Teams cooling their heels in the backfield, a pulse accelerator drone nearby is a good idea.

Of particular note: this list has very, very little antitank firepower. 4 Missile Pods are...not good. They are wildly overpriced weapon systems that struggle to take down Ork Trukks, let alone anything heavier. That leaves you with the Ion Accelerator (which is pretty good) and a pair of fusion blasters (which are also good, if, again slightly overpriced).

Depending on your metagame, I might load up on more antitank weapons (Fusion Blasters, Cyclic Ion Blasters in a pinch). If somebody brings a big gribble (Imperial Knight) or lots of transports, you don't want to be stuck pinging the occasional wound off them with massed pulse fire.   

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »
Something to keep an eye on since you're jumping from 6th to 8th is that drones do not work how they used to. So take a close look at the drone section to make sure you've noticed the differences in operation.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 03:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the pointers.  I'll have a fiddle around with the list tomorrow.

Depending on how you lay out your army, the second fireblade may not have much to do (though he is cheap at least).
He's only there really because I need a second HQ for the Detachment.

Commander looks good, though I'd consider options other than missile pods, since he has great ballistic skill and mobility, so he can really get the most out of high damage shorter range weapons.
I only went for the MPs because I used to like them (and I've always leant towards more dakka rather than support systems).  They do seem quite pricy now.  I'll look at other options.

Depending on your metagame, I might load up on more antitank weapons (Fusion Blasters, Cyclic Ion Blasters in a pinch). If somebody brings a big gribble (Imperial Knight) or lots of transports, you don't want to be stuck pinging the occasional wound off them with massed pulse fire.
How are Hammerheads / Broadsides doing in this edition?  I could look at swapping a couple of them in for more AT.

Something to keep an eye on since you're jumping from 6th to 8th is that drones do not work how they used to. So take a close look at the drone section to make sure you've noticed the differences in operation.
I've had a quick look, but think I need more time to digest / play test.  First thought: is there any point to shield drones now?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 03:32:27 PM »
How are Hammerheads / Broadsides doing in this edition?  I could look at swapping a couple of them in for more AT.

Hammerheads are terrible. Broadsides are mostly okay, if a little pricey (catching a theme for our battlesuits?).

I've had a quick look, but think I need more time to digest / play test.  First thought: is there any point to shield drones now?

Shield drones got useable in this codex. Not good, but useable.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
Barely usable. Better off with any other drone but shield at this point.

While hideously expensive, you'll take our Hammerheads away from our cold dead hooves.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 06:34:52 PM »
Barely usable. Better off with any other drone but shield at this point.

While hideously expensive, you'll take our Hammerheads away from our cold dead hooves.

At least they get some recourse against mortal wounds and are a little tougher against everything else, but yeah--I'd rather have a gun drone.

Hammerheads need significantly better guns to be foldable. The railgun is incredibly bad and the ion cannon is not good enough for the points.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »
I meant to get back to this thread sooner, but work has been busy...

Anyway, I'm thinking now that I'll swap the two Devilfish for broadsides (HRR and SMS) , and swap the Commander's missile pods for a couple of fusion blasters and a couple of plasma rifles.

That will make the list much less mobile, but give it a bit more AV punch.  It would also leave me with 37 points spare.  Any bright ideas on the best way to spend those? Sprinkle a few more drones around the list, or is there any wargear that is worth paying for?