News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: If Your "Battle Report" Fits On One Screen, YOU ARE WRONG.  (Read 17274 times)

Offline Draza

• Ancient
Re: If Your "Battle Report" Fits On One Screen, YOU ARE WRONG.
« Reply #20 on: July 9, 2005, 07:41:11 AM »
But you thread is mainly play-testing rules, so giving every piece of information is not really necessary. The point is more how the Eldar units work. With other battle reports, a whole thread is being dedicated to that battle. If you want a thread all to one battle, it's worth putting in the time and effort to make the report good

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #21 on: July 9, 2005, 06:56:08 PM »
Posted by: Draza

But you thread is mainly play-testing rules, so giving every piece of information is not really necessary.

True, I don't need to know what color his tank was or anything like that. When I ask for data I need hard numbers so we can see what happened.

Here is an example of what I don't want as a report: (what is sad is that this is a real report)

"Um, I used the vypers and they like totaly rocked with the rending cannons. I shot a bunch of stuff up and I think they made me win the game. Rending is too powerfull."

Instead how about this: Two double cannon vypers come up over the woods and unleash a volley of fire at a tactical sqaud. I score 7 hits and 2 of them are rending.I wound 6 of them and a total of 5 marines die. We can see by this the player had slightly above average rolls and the defender had below average rolls. Only 2 of the 5 killed were due to rending. Statistically speaking there should be 2 rending results in 12 shots on average and we see this plays out in this case.

Another example of what I don't want:

"The BS upgrade on the falcon was completely overpowering. I hardly missed with it at all."

If he had kept a record of the important data we would have learned this: The falcon rolled a d3 getting 3 shots for the pulse laser and also had a starcannon and shuriken cannon. All weaponry fired at the terminator sqaud. Pules laser and starcannon each hit 3 times and the shuriken cannon hit 2 times (no rending). All to hit rolls were 4+ or better except for a single shuriken cannon hit that was a 3'. We now find that 7 out of 8 hits would have happened regardless of the BS upgrade.

This is the type of data I'm after.  :)

69Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline sullyadbellum

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 11:10:54 PM »
Oh yes, I am such a noob!  How do attach pictures to posts, anyway?

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
  • Hard work pays off later but laziness pays off NOW
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 12:11:44 AM »
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=93854.0

Furthermore if you have nothing useful to add to a topic and do not know where to ask, ask a mod and they will direct you, since such posts are considered spam.

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 06:12:12 AM »
Question: Is there a contest or not? Is there any reward (except for not being called annoying noob...) for making a really good report?

not that I'm after rewards and stuff, I write reports for fun and to show off my fluff... but it would be nice to see it like sticky or something or you know what I mean...

I'm willing to keep writing my reports anyway, the first one has recently been posted... it's the first in a series of battle reports... all will have fluff and explicit detailed turn-based reporting, some will have pictures, all will be linked together in a campaign-style fluffy story, which will get more and more exciting
In darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, you should let a madman guide you.

Armies:
Iron Wolves: W/D/L - 0/0/0
Eldar of Idharae: W/D/L - 23/7/6

Last game: Idharae+Eldar vs Tau+Imperial Guard
Result: Win
List of my battle reports: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=177565.0

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 08:10:33 AM »
Not really.

We're not as big on contests and rewards as some other forums. If you make a really good report, all you can realistically expect is praise from your fellow members.

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 02:41:14 AM »
good enough for me :Das i said, just asking...
In darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, you should let a madman guide you.

Armies:
Iron Wolves: W/D/L - 0/0/0
Eldar of Idharae: W/D/L - 23/7/6

Last game: Idharae+Eldar vs Tau+Imperial Guard
Result: Win
List of my battle reports: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=177565.0

Offline BuddhaN8

• He is most able who thinks he is able.
« Reply #27 on: September 4, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »
Pfew... I fully expected to come out of this thinking that my battle report was completely unqualified to have even been posted at all. Now, I see that its at the lower end of the acceptable spectrum, but still passable. I will endeavour to include more non-mundane details of the battle, perhaps even including a picture of the start of the game and end of the game, and perhaps a picture capturing the start of each player's turn.

Would that be Kosher?

N8
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline WarhamR

• Hhmmmmm Randomness...
« Reply #28 on: October 8, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
So if i were to post a battle report pretty much follow this:

- Use full english & check at the end
- Add in a bit of background
- And don't over do the "it was so funny" statements

?? ?? ?? ?? ??
« Last Edit: October 8, 2008, 03:16:20 PM by WarhamR »

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
So, how do you post a battle report that's 38,000 characters?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »
1 - Make the first post and fill it up as much as able.
2 - Make a second thread with the remaining material.
3 - Hit the report button for your own second thread asking it to be merged with the first.
4 - The two posts then get merged into one contiguous thread by a moderator and it's tea and medals for everyone.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.