News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Terrain/Buildings how big to make them?  (Read 5354 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Terrain/Buildings how big to make them?
« on: August 14, 2017, 03:59:18 AM »
So how big do you make your pieces?

Just wondering given if people are making them big enough for two units go melee on, or just to house a single squad?

Given the current meta of needing screening units, would a tower that can hold 16 Eldar sized infantry (guardians and reapers for example) be too big?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Terrain/Buildings how big to make them?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
No way would a tower holding 16 Eldar infantry too big. I play with really big pieces of terrain and plan on upscaling it as I go forward.

I play with HUGE rocky outcroppings, some of them big enough to hide a Knight from the right angles.

I'll take some pics for you later bud  8) 8) 8)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:27:19 PM »
OK so 16 is too big, then maybe 6-7 Eldar sized infantry which would be about 5 marines.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »
OK so 16 is too big, then maybe 6-7 Eldar sized infantry which would be about 5 marines.

I think Cav advocated big terrain pieces...at least, that's how I read it. I think...and I'm putting words in his mouth now...that he meant:

'No way would a tower holding 16 Eldar infantry be too big. I play with really big pieces of terrain and plan on upscaling it as I go forward.'

I agree, big pieces work fantastically well.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »
@Magenb- Oh sorry botched that. That building sounds great. I'd rock that all day long. My brother and I plan on making some huge ruins that can hold a ton of stuff.

@Looshking- Thanks bud! Glad you interperted that for me. Gotta slow down when I'm typing sometimes lol  ;D

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:47:19 PM »
well works slowed down as my dremel finally died :(

Well sneak peak at a terrain piece

Kind of hard to tell but the large circle is all engraved to keep with the whole vane style Eldar has going on. I'm also thinking I might swap the middle part of the webwaygate out with some Perspex.

I originally wanted this sitting on a plateau with some circular steps lead up to it, but it would be a significant foot print on the board.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 04:39:45 AM »
Webway gate such as this would look fantastic when finished, but in gaming terms it looks largely inconsequential anyway. It's base is fully open, so doesn't look like something that would provide cover. The only thing that comes to mind here is that you could treat the curving fin as an equivalent of Imperial statue for Eldar. But the size of the base doesn't seem particularly important here.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
Wow! You are really going for it Mage. Looking great so far! Wow! Should really tie the whole theme of the board together really well. If you are gonna make an Eldar board you gotta have a webway gate!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
Webway gate such as this would look fantastic when finished, but in gaming terms it looks largely inconsequential anyway. It's base is fully open, so doesn't look like something that would provide cover. The only thing that comes to mind here is that you could treat the curving fin as an equivalent of Imperial statue for Eldar. But the size of the base doesn't seem particularly important here.

The area around the circle will be flocked as grass and I'll be adding a few small tree's so it will effectively count as a woodlands area. I don't want to put too much on it, after playing a few games with the GW woods, while they look great, moving models around those big trees is just annoying and the textured surface can make some models unstable (harlies, swooping Hawks etc).

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »
The area around the circle will be flocked as grass and I'll be adding a few small tree's so it will effectively count as a woodlands area.

This sounds great. In this case I'd say it's the bigger the better. The base you have on the picture is definitely alright.

And generally I'm with Cavalier on this: terrain is almost never too big :) Bigger terrain and more of it makes for better games no matter what.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
Sadly budget constraints have foiled me again... turns out Perspex isn't easy to get hold of and where I can find it, its in large sheets at $50 a pop, ah well it still looks good with the MDF in the middle.

Trees are either super cheap plastic toys (look terrible) or are super expensive $32+ a tree, or completely the wrong scale, but are still $10 a pop. I seem to be in the wrong business, I should start making mini fake trees lol.

So will try making some barricades so it would still count as cover.

Post Merge: August 18, 2017, 04:47:15 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

so cheap knockoff dremel is holding up fairly well so far.

Run up a quick barricade

Rough sketch of the guard tower.

top of the tower and railing.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:47:16 AM by magenb »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 01:27:44 PM »
Sadly budget constraints have foiled me again... turns out Perspex isn't easy to get hold of and where I can find it, its in large sheets at $50 a pop, ah well it still looks good with the MDF in the middle.

Perspex is the Hoover of the acrylics world. That is, Perspex is a trade name and not an actual material. You can get a 12"x6" piece of clear acrylic for £3 from the Plastic People. Alternatively try looking for clear polycarbonate. Polycarbonate would work just as well for you and is cheaper than acrylic.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »
Perspex is the Hoover of the acrylics world. That is, Perspex is a trade name and not an actual material. You can get a 12"x6" piece of clear acrylic for £3 from the Plastic People. Alternatively try looking for clear polycarbonate. Polycarbonate would work just as well for you and is cheaper than acrylic.

Cheers. Unfortunately the only place I can find that has transparent plastic readily available are hardware stores, so its about 35"x23" for £32 or 15"x15" for around £20.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 04:36:17 AM »
OK so here is a n update of the Guard Tower.

I think it needs something else to break up the blue, I tried adding vanes but yeah it didn't turn out very well :(

Nothing like some marble :)

Trying out some more gems.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »
Hey this is coming out nice Mage! Super impressed you were able to do that. If you are looking to break up the blue, I'd add some weathering and even some lichen and ivy type stuff crawling up the walls. That new GW stuff would be great, but if you can get some lichen and isolate little vines and have it creeping up it'd go a long way.

But the piece came out great, the shapes and precision is phenomenal. So is that railing. Great stuff man keep it up!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »
The top half has turned out really well and the gem stones, combined with the rune, look great.  The blue is a bit excessive in my opinion, but I like Cavalier's idea of adding vines to it, in order to break up the blue.  Lichen would also be effective for that, so perhaps you could try a mixture of the two.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
From a gaming side of things, 8th edition. Really needs to block line of site. Big Line of sight blocking peices are vital.

I've been seeing events house rule that all ruins ground floors block line of site, or people blocking all windows and doors with card.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 10:23:56 PM »
OK so first crack at making vines. Some of the flock fell off as I was shaping it, so still need to fix those up. I think once I've finished with the vines, I'll need to find something bushy to put around the base of the tower for more of an over grown feel, rather than heavily manicured.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 05:01:54 AM »
Those vines are off to a very promising start.  I think that adding the lichen around the base and having the vines coming up between pieces of lichen from the ground, or from within the lichen itself, would look very good. 
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »
I agree with Irisado. Off to a very nice start. Lichen and even regular green flock creeping up the first inch or so of the model will look great. It'll look almost like moss is growing up it. I did that with my home made Eldar terrain and it looked good IMO.

Really think this is shaping up nice Mage. Making Eldar terrain is a huge challenge and you answering it! Keep it up its coming out great!