News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: RPG experiment  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
RPG experiment
« on: December 2, 2012, 08:26:59 PM »
I've been doing some thinking lately (yes, I know how dangerous that can be). Of all the role-playing games I have seen, ultimate power would belong to the GM and he/she would control your destiny. So I got to thinking, what if the players themselves got to control a character's destiny? Although I have never run an RP before, I've decided to man up and see how I do.

Anyway, while I still have to work on many of the details of my game (like a name for it), I can give you a brief summary of how it's going to work. The game will be for 5 players. Four of those players will elemental dieties (e.g. god/dess of fire, god/dess of water, etc.) No element is limited to a specific gender, so you could be the goddess of earth or god of water, or whatever. It will be on a first come first served basis, or you  may decide amongst yourselves whoe gets to do what. But wait! What about player 5? Well, player 5 gets to be the "chosen one" selected by the god to defeat the evil lord what's-his-face, save the world, get the girl/boy, etc. The chosen one one will be able to call upon the player-controlled elemental dieties for assistance if the he has earned the favor of the player controlling that particular god/dess. The chosen one may also communicate with the gods/godesses through meditation and concentration (at first), while the gods/goddesses can speak to the chosen one at any time.

Feel free to give any suggestions (like a name!), or show interest in my idea. Criticism and questions welcome.
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: RPG experiment
« Reply #1 on: December 3, 2012, 01:03:59 AM »
Sounds like a very interesting concept, and I certainly like the idea of playing a power-mad and cruel benevolent and kindly god. I think you'll need to put a lot of work into the mechanics of it though.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2012, 08:03:30 AM »
As Khemri said an interesting idea.

You may want to take a look at a game called Nobilis, it has a very rich and intersting back story and setting but I suggest it to you as it may help in running players who are in effect gods.

In Nobilis the players take the role of a power of a certain domain, they have complete command and control of that domain and can literally do anything they want as long as it comes under the auspices of their domain. This leads to very creative and enjoyable interactions.
When you say what you want to accomplish the GM can only really say yes, yes and or yes but.

As an example in the game I played the players were the powers of Perception, optimism and books respectively.

Its hard to explain but it is a really good system for running such powerful beings, it's also diceless so would be a good system for a forum rpg.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Sounds cool but hard to run.

Something I could be interested in. Perhaps do something where the Deities require certain favors to unlock levels of their powers too, something that mortals must do for them...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
Preliminary dibs on fire if this kicks off.

You might like to explore what TV Tropes has to offer as regards Player 5.

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »
Anyone ever play Part-Time Gods? It is really fun.

But I would be interested in this. It sounds like it could be fun.

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. Earning the favor of the dieties will be the fun part, because it's up to the players to decide how their favor is to be earned. As for mechanics, I'm still working on that. However, the dieties can interact with the chosen one however they see fit. This includes appearing to the chosen one in  dreams or visions or even appearing to the chosen one in a human form, but the chosen one will not know if it is a diety or a regular person they are talking to unless the diety tells them who they are, which will keep it interesting (especially since the god/dess will PM me what their human form looks like and the chosen one will never know :) ) Keep in mind that your human form does not have to look the same every time. Also, the various level of power granted to the chosen one depends on how much the dieties see fit. In other words, the chosen one better suck up to the dieties a lot.
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
You have definitly caught my attention. you can count me in, 100%. if air includes power over lightning, then prelim dibs on that.
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!