News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Exodus, Zombie Survival RPG, Discussion Thread  (Read 9622 times)

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
Re: Exodus, Zombie Survival RPG, Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
Name: Edward "Eddy" Bastion
Appearance: around 6' tall, slightly higher than average build signifying a hard worker, short dark brown hair, flannel button down shirt with sleeves rolled half-way up forearms, blue jeans, work boots

[spoiler]Age: 27
Height: 6'2"
Edward's occupation is mechanic. His original dream of being in the Air Force was crushed by his 20/17 vision. Being deprived of his aircraft, he instead focused on land based vehicles and became a very well known and renown mechanic. His slightly above-average build is credited to his years of hard work. He is straightforward and not afraid to say what he thinks. He can be quite sarcastic as well. He is very protective of the ones he cares and has quite a temper and can hold a mean grudge for a long time. He loves a good laugh, sometimes even at the expense of others. He is also believer that with a good pair of boots, you can conquer the world, and he wears them everywhere.

NPCs
Nick: Friend
TJ: Friend
Logan: Friend
Kate: Friend
Tom: also Friend

I thinks that's everything.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:06:59 PM by Killskin »
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

• Anti-Power Fist Activist.
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 10:47:42 PM »
Okay guys, we have a bit of a problem here. First of all I just want to say that I don't mean to crush anyone's creativity, but this is quickly moving in the wrong direction.

I was going to put up a system for character creation in which you would have a limited choice over your character. The way it would work is that I would give your character a score out of ten, where 1 was the weakest/least useful/etc in this situation and 10 was strongest/most useful. I would than randomly decide whether your character got to be of your chosen power level or of the parallel power level. I.e. a character of power rating 10 may randomise into a power rating of 1, 9 to 2, 8 to 3, etc.

I decided not to do this, as it would crush creativity a bit and slow down my starting the game.

Based on what I have got so far I would give at least two of the characters a power level of 10. Which is just a bit too much.

I'm trying not to be a jerk here, but what I want to say is that it seems that nearly everyone has jumped right on board power train and wants to chop up some zombies. That's really not what I want this game to be.

Before we get into the game too quickly I think we should just make sure we all have the same expectations here. So can everyone get back to me when possible so we can talk about the characters.

Thanks guys.
~ Lord Tyrannicus

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »
Well I wasn't going for the Zombie Slayer, but I suppose I did hit it. I had actually been aiming for an adventurer, one who never could quite fulfill his need for adrenaline. But I can certainly see what your getting at, and to some point agree. You can give me an idea for a major rewrite, or give me a day or two to come up with something else entirely. That's your call, just get back to me with which you would prefer. But don't worry, I'm completely fine with either decision.

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 05:03:11 AM »
I'll clarify my problem a bit. The style of zombie game I want to replicate is the emotional, ethical and moral thriller. This is best done (as far as I know) in The Walking Dead, what makes The Walking Dead so good is that it focuses on character, progression and flaw as its main themes. The zombies, need for survival and action are all for setting and for use as plot devices. The reason I want to continue watching this show is because I become attached to the characters, unlike in most zombie movies where the main reason I would like to watch them is for their horror/fright value, this style of show would never make it into the television market because everyone would be bored with that stuff by the second episode.

That is why I don't want to make my zombie game like that. Heroes are fun to watch, but if they aren't executed perfectly then they are difficult to connect with and ultimately become figures of apathy. It is the everyday man that people really feel attached to and that will make this game of any interest to play and read.

That is the man or woman that I want your characters to be, that should be someone you can relate to. That is what will make your character intriguing.

Now I'm going to be brutally honest and say that as of yet, Faitherun and Killskin's characters don't look like they are going to fit that bill. I'm sorry if that offends, I don't mean it to, I say it in the best interest of the game. Nightwalker your character is good, if he is the only player-character that fits that area of expertise/character. Khemri, your character is fine, since you're a fan of The Walking Dead I assume you know what I'm going for, whereas the others might not yet.

My expectations (hopes) were that I would get a group of Hawaiian shirt wearing holiday goers who had no idea what they were in for,  and that their usefulness (or uselessness) to the group would come from their mundane occupations and experience. I intended to allow a maximum of one of the players to have some kind of gun-experience.

Now, I feel like a jerk posting this, since it is a creative art I shouldn't crush anyone's opinions or ideas. However, in the best interest of the game I am trying to create I feel it is important to address this issue rather than go along with it. My apologies if I hurt anyone's feelings.

If you wish to discuss this with me then feel free and we'll see where we can get too, thanks for listening guys and sorry for being so strict!
~ Lord Tyrannicus

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »
Well, I made a bet with myself before we started that at least one of us would be playing an ex-cop or ex-soldier. Now, I've not read the spoilered bits, but just based on how Killskin's character is dressed I think I won that bet before we even started. ;) In any case, I'm behind you on this. I know it doesn't affect me any, so it's easy for me to talk, but I like that you have a strong vision for this and I think you're within your rights to make sure we're playing characters in keeping with the story.

Incidentally; if you've not read the comic, Tyrannicus, I highly recommend it. It's like the TV show, only better!

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »
I've watched the TV show to the end of Season Two, and played the (Great!) game as well. Saracenar has the first compendium of the comics, but isn't reading it past where we are in the TV show. I prefer TV series style pacing and such better, so I'll probably keep that ahead also. Even though they aren't exactly the same I don't want to spoil anything!
~ Lord Tyrannicus

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »
No problem!

I had an idea for a twist, but apparently not what you wanted - I will post up an entirely different character then.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Killskin

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »
I was actually kinda expecting something like this. I understand completely where you`re coming from. Even though I wasn`t planning on my character to be Super Zombie Slayer Man, I have a back-up character in mind for just such an occasion as this. I will modify my original post with Character 2. No harm done.

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
I've watched the TV show to the end of Season Two, and played the (Great!) game as well. Saracenar has the first compendium of the comics, but isn't reading it past where we are in the TV show. I prefer TV series style pacing and such better, so I'll probably keep that ahead also. Even though they aren't exactly the same I don't want to spoil anything!

That's a fair point. The problem for me was that I was a fan of the comics before I saw the show, so I spent a lot of the first season raging about how they changed everything! When the second season hit, I basically just decided to accept it as a different continuity and enjoy the show for what it was. It's rare enough to see good zombie fodder in the mainstream media, even if the second season did drag its feet for a while.

[spoiler]I'm still upset they turned Andrea into a useless, whiny be-atch though. She's just about the most competent person in the comic.[/spoiler]

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »
I assumed that was why you liked the Comic better, I think I'll like the TV show better, but it probably ends up boiling down which one you see first!

Okay guys! Thanks for taking it so well, I'm glad that you can change your characters up a bit to fit more into the theme. I tried to work them all into the storyline but the more that came the more independent each one got and I was rewriting massive plot chunks and how I was going to push every one of these characters into the same situation and it was just getting out of hand for me.

So hopefully we can start out small and make our characters big and exciting later on, when I'm more capable of diverging the story.

Thanks guys!

Oh also Faitherun, if you aren't keeping it hidden for a specific reason would I be able to know what Country you are from so I have a better idea what your post times will be? If not then that's fine too!
~ Lord Tyrannicus

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
Sure - I'm in the US, D.C/NY time... although I am an Aussie (well half, mum's side), and would much rather being over there with you all.

However, my posting times will be none between the time of 11 am and 9 pm my time, as that is when I work Mon - Sat
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »
At long last, my character!

Name: Henry Ashmore
Age Range: 30-40
Appearance: Henry stands at average male height, about 5’ 10”. He has short, dark hair that sticks up, and a stylish goatee. For the cruise, he wears a simple t-shirt and jean shorts, but socks and shoes and rarely sandals. He looks in relatively okay shape; not particularly fit or unfit, but is somewhat thin.

[spoiler]
Occupation: Henry works as a data logger for an insurance firm.
Additional Information: Henry is divorced. His ex-wife Linda gained custody of their only child, Layton. Henry found solace in his job at NQYP Insurance, with his colleagues and friends. Having saved enough money for a small holiday, he invites his friends and his son to join him, as he rarely sees Layton.

F/F 1: Layton Ashmore is Henry’s seventeen-year-old son. He likes living with his mother but misses his father, and was happy to go on the cruise with him.

F/F 2: Aaron Black, 36, is one of Henry’s colleagues and his best friend. He plans to propose to his girlfriend Rachel while on the cruise.

F/F 3: Rachel Strenza, 34, is Aaron’s girlfriend of three years. Henry knows that she was once unfaithful to Aaron, but she has never told him.

F/F 4: Stacy Morgan, 35, is one of Henry’s colleagues, and a childhood friend of Rachel Strenza. She can be ignorant at times.

F/F 5: Oliver Chase, 38, is an ex-professional tennis player-turned office worker. He suffered an injury that forced him to give up on sports, but maintains a healthy physique. He is, however, a chain-smoker.
[/spoiler]

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 03:25:34 AM »
Okay everyone, your Character Sheets have been done up and I have decided which family and friends will accompany you on the cruise. Your Character Sheets are available to you at any time once we start playing and contain information on your character, such as basic details and your physical state. More importantly it will have a list of your inventory, including everything you are currently wearing, anything that is on your person and anything else that belongs to you. The amount of storage space you have and what is in it will also be listed. Make sure you check that, to see what kind of pockets you have and such.

I will now list which Family and Friends of yours are present on the cruise:

Privy to Khemri:
[Spoiler]Sam Monroe, Margaret King, Daniel Banks, Chris West.[/spoiler]

Privy to The Nightwalker:
[Spoiler]Jim, Anya, Alice.[/spoiler]

Privy to Faitherun:
[Spoiler]Amy, Todd.[/spoiler]

Privy to Killskin:
[Spoiler]Nick, Tom.[/spoiler]

Privy to Saracenar:
[Spoiler]Layton Ashmore, Aaron Black, Rachel Strenza, Oliver Chase.[/spoiler]

Just remember, the other characters may show up at some point, so don't just forget about them. For now however, they aren't of your concern.

Tell me when you're ready to start up and I'll get under way setting up the game!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:39:25 AM by Lord Tyrannicus »
~ Lord Tyrannicus

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 05:01:03 AM »
I'm all set to get started.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
I'm good, but you know that already!

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »
Let's do it!
Flawless logic.

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 08:24:18 AM »
I'm ready to start the "holiday..." ;)

Offline Killskin

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
I am ready!

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 12:56:15 AM »
Okay then! I'll get up the game thread soon and we'll start going and see how this works out!

A few things though:

Swearing
You can swear if you want, I assume people would in a Zombie Apocalypse, but don't get too excessive.

Zombie Fiction
Zombie Fiction does not exist in this world, nobody knows what is going on, nobody has any idea what to do and everybody is scared. Feel free to call the zombies whatever you want, be a bit inventive, but just remember, these things are completely new to you, you have no idea what they are.

The game isn't going to take place in any particular country, imagine it how you will but no real places will be visited. Three of us are in America and three of us in Australia/New Zealand at the moment, so assume whatever fits you best. I don't have massive knowledge on either place, things like law, electricity, water and all that kind of thing I am going to try keep in check with the story more so than real life, because I don't know enough about the specifics to make sure it's 100% correct. There will be guns, America style, because it makes it a bit easier on me.

We'll start up soon!
~ Lord Tyrannicus

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
You wouldn't mind me asking you to clarify the gun laws a bit more would you? As an American that lives in the state with the freest gun laws and owns quite a few himself, that phrase does not exactly make since.

To illustrate, here at home we are allowed to own full-auto, short barreled, and anything up to 40mm. Not to mention we are not required to have our firearms registered. While in the next state you can be jailed for having a weapon unregistered and you might not be allowed to have a handgun in city limits.

So exactly what are you gunning for?