News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Way of the Waaagh: The New Green Menace Mega Thread  (Read 153891 times)

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
Re: Way of the Waaagh: The New Green Menace Mega Thread
« Reply #380 on: August 20, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »
well i had my second game with orks (technically my 3rd but i wont count a game with a blatant cheater) and i have to say i absolutely love orks.

having played strict Death Guard for so long it felt like if i made a slight mistake it would put a wrench in the whole game and i would spend the rest of the time recovering.

with orks i can make mistakes and not have to worry about that mistake the entire game.

today was the second game in the campaign my club is running ( i can post a link to the campaign but i did not take notes for a batrep ), we are playing a pretty straightforward map based game but our "heroes" can get upgrades. my heroes for this campaign are doing quite well as my Wazdakka count-as is now BS 3 and has counter-attack and my warboss is now T7, has counter-attack and a banner that gives +1 attack to any friendly unit within 6".

as much as i am having fun i am starting to wonder if my army is becoming a bit over the top and cheesy, take into mind that the warboss runs with a 5 man nob biker squad...

i'll have to take some pictures of my WIP army.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #381 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »
Brotherman Nurgle, welcome!

Glad things are going well for you.  I started Orks with a map-based campaign too.  If you're playing small maps, be sure to check out burnas... awesome stuff at a necromuda/mordhiem/kill team level.  and yeah, stat buffs for orks gets silly fast... beware sternguard tho :)
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #382 on: August 20, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
Plague Tower welcome to the orks   I see you like keeping it green

Just out of curiosity what are we going to do when we hit the green tide number?

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #383 on: August 20, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »
Your campaign sounds like the Battle Company games for Lord of the Rings, that's what me and my late brother usually played. Does GW have a similar system for 40k? Id like that very much.

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2011, 12:48:36 AM »
I might as well mention that as of next weekend, I shall be down in DC for this year's NoVa Open. It's a 2000-point tournament noted for using a swiss-pairings system to get comparative ranking among players with only one player being able to go 8-0 (it's a weekend-event), and is pretty much internet celebrityland for tournament-goers. Expect to run into such folks like Stelek, Chumbalaya, Hulksmash, Jawaballs, and Gav Thorpe. (He's not actually competing though :P)

It's going to be odd playing Orks in this environment, needless to say. I know Dashofpepper was a tournament ace last year (top 8 at least), yet at the same time the counters exist to turn Battlewagons into a scraplot.

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #385 on: August 21, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
Nightwalker, ours had a map.  We had to meet squad minimums (starting with 1 troop slot) and 100 pts.  Xp and gear cost was formulaic.  We added 100 points every week till 1000.  Death was death, so you lost buffed-up units.  There was reinforcement points based on territory held and a base level for the week (in case you got wiped).  Our campaign came down to shooty/burna orks, nobs/manz/choppa orks, sternguard SM, and bloodletters/plaguebearers.  Shooty/burna force took it.  My nob force got 2nd.  Demons got 3rd.  tons of fun.

Just out of curiosity what are we going to do when we hit the green tide number?

excellent question!

@ Juggler -- best of luck!  Sounds like a brutal tourney.  Wear a green shirt!
Athaga Mor

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #386 on: August 21, 2011, 01:00:31 AM »
Even so if anyone knows of a similar game, I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #387 on: August 21, 2011, 01:25:36 AM »
big rule book for 4th edition to get the rules (p214), or those 2 white dwarf issues, 286 and 287

There is a rules set in the Battle Missions book (not the same but you can talk out the gaps before starting).

Also, the rules for Necromunda are here @ GW.  Easy to adapt.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat200210&categoryId=1100011&section=&aId=5300010

EDIT: can't find an online PDF
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:02:37 AM by Athaga Mor »
Athaga Mor

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #388 on: August 21, 2011, 08:54:58 AM »
I myself like story driven campaigns, you can see the last one I did HERE   It was great fun, and definitely worth playing all those games.

The next one I am planning as soon as the rest of the details can be arranged is the Rynns world campaign, you can see that one HERE and will be playing that one just as soon as a few final arrangements can be made.

Hope that gives you some ideas for story driven campaigns. I prefer the story driven campaign over the map based campaign, but that's just the way I roll. You may like the logistical challenge of the map based campaign over the story campaign, and that is just as good.

Now for small games, if you have last editions rule book you can use the kill team campaigns they had published there. Or, using the newest version of kill team as written in the Battle Missions supplemental book, adding in the campaign stuff from the main rule book, that ought to make stuff interesting as well.

I don't want to turn this into a long post, so I best stop here, but I could go on and on and on about campaigns, as that is my favorite way to play. Not saying that one off games are less fun, or that tourney play is a higher or lower form of playing, just saying that campaign gaming is the really fun stuff, especially story driven campaigns.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »
well i had my second game with orks (technically my 3rd but i wont count a game with a blatant cheater) and i have to say i absolutely love orks.

having played strict Death Guard for so long it felt like if i made a slight mistake it would put a wrench in the whole game and i would spend the rest of the time recovering.

with orks i can make mistakes and not have to worry about that mistake the entire game.

Orks are very addicting,  it is nice to be able to take numbers and not have to worrry about loosing a handful of boyz.  Deathguard are very points heavy per model and if they get spread thin or someone takes out a squad their effectiveness drops a lot.

see you are turning totally green now which is a good thing.

Even so if anyone knows of a similar game, I would greatly appreciate it.

My LGS plays Death Squads.   It utilizes different parts of 40k but has its own rules.   It is very skirmish based where models function individually rather than in full squads.  The rules and rulebook is totally free (and very large download)  In all honesty I read over the rules twice and just think there is way too many rules (as it has actions you can do)  It is a bit more complicated than 40k which can be fun if u like using less model count and more depth.   But you can check it out and see what you think.
http://www.deathsquadsgame.com/

@MagicJuggler:   Sounds like a fun event wish it wasn't so far of a hike or I would probably try to go and show some green support as well.   Best of luck to you though.

Aside from Skeetergod doing the happy dance I am not really sure.  Maybe we will need to plan some sort of online event as with a green tide I am sure we can go on a massive crusade and disrupt the (online) galaxy.

As far as campaigns go now that we got our Warlord OD back I am sure he is itching for some krumpin and it won't be too far off before we see another campaign.  But I cannot predict the future, I am a warboss not a wierdboy.   

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #390 on: August 21, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »
Thanks guys :). The deathsquad game is exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to try it.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #391 on: August 21, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
I got my round 1 battle report done...  check it out...

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=216852.0

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #392 on: August 22, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »
ill post the rules we use for our campaign and our gaming club will be running a kill team tournament at Mechanicon again this year so i can post our rules for that as well.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #393 on: August 22, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »
The Bank Account is updated, A bit more activity than last week, must have been the Ard Boys that kept everyone busy.

Adamscurr, sorry, just saw your post as I was getting ready to post this, so your two teef will be on the next update.

As always, if I missed any teef earning activity, feel free to PM me or post it here and I will get the account updated tooty sweety.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #394 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »
That's ok skeet...  I'd rather have some replies to by BR than the teef anyhow! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline pheonix lord slinjak

• Ork Yoof
  • Farseer,daemon prince
« Reply #395 on: August 22, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
as ive done my eldar army before i go apocalypse im gonna concentrate on my orks.
soon im gonna put up a blog  with pics to show un my progress on putting together my ork army so please if u have tips on anything then ive got open ears
"you have slain millions of innocent eldar and have waged war against the galaxy why should we show you mercy" Farseer Corru-shala

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #396 on: August 22, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
as ive done my eldar army before i go apocalypse im gonna concentrate on my orks.
soon im gonna put up a blog  with pics to show un my progress on putting together my ork army so please if u have tips on anything then ive got open ears

Good to see you working on your orks, you are in for a lot of fun, as you can do almost anything and it is still orky. (OK, maybe not Hello Kitty orks, but generally everything else is acceptable) Make sure you put a link to your plog here so we can find it, and we will comment there.

Also, if you need clues, hints, tips, etc. make sure to go through the ork boot kamp in the stickies, lots of good stuff there, including a painting article.
Go to Boot Camp here atTHIS LINK

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #397 on: September 5, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »
Allrighty then, a week of having withdrawals from not being able to get on the forum has really wrecked my groove. So, so, so, I will let the last update stand as it is, and start cruising the boards looking for teef earning activity.

If you, or any of your fellow orks are out there earning teef, let me know, either by posting it here with a link to the stuff, or by sending me a PM.

Always try to send a link as it just makes my life a little easier, and you may just save a grot or two who wont get kicked while I try to figure out where in the heck you put your stuff.

The updates to the bank account will continue as normal starting next Monday.

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #398 on: September 7, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »
It's been chaotic but between another move, I've finally been able to set my computer back up again.

I went 3-1 on my first day at NoVa, then after my 5th game, my army was not able to be fully repaired in time, and I had mentally shut-down ("Forgot to shoot with Lootas. Positioned Warbuggies out of LOS. Screwed up bubblewrap against Wolf Scouts. Etc."). Twas actually my first GT, and so I missed out on a lot of the important bits (Protip: Invest in an Army Tray!).

It was nightmarish at bits, part of it being my army wasn't fully ready prior to the tournament due to a *lot* of personal/life issues hampering my time. Having spoken with the TO beforehand, saying I wished to cancel, he said for me to come anyway. He was a champ to the end, even if I ended up basically forfeiting sleep on the nights before to get enough stuff assembled last-minute and a bleary-eyed proxy-mess on-table.

Despite it all, it was incredibly fun even at the parts where I was keeled over in pain. My opponents were friendly and understanding for the most part, (my 4th game was fairly nightmarish though. I feel like if I were better-prepared for the event, it would've been more expedient). Got to chat with Gav Thorpe about game design theory and "What happened with Chaos/Eldar/life?" Got to meet a lot of infamous folks.

Modelingwise:
-I need to assess damage and repair my army :(
-Now planning to build 2 more Warbuggies, and 2 Wartrukks.
-Buying sheet metal and plywood, and building a custom army tray to make setup between games easier on my part.
-Movement trays for my Boyz. I don't want the normal "square" trays, just because I found that as the game progressed, I was using increasingly intricate formations in my army.

For the record, I ran:
Ghazgkull Thraka
Kustom Forcefield Mek, Bosspole, Eavy Armor, Grot Oiler'

Elites:
7 Lootas
7 Lootas
3 Meganobz, 2 Kombi-Rokkits
-Battlewagon w/ Kannon, Deffrolla, Red Paint Job

Troops
3 Meganobz, 2 Kombi-Rokkits
-Battlewagon w/ Kannon, Deffrolla, Red Paint Job (The original Wagon was going to be converted based off a Russ hull. Due to assorted issues with that, I ended up buying a Battlewagon cockpit and extending it to the front of a Chimera instead the night before. This
17 Shoota Boys, Nob w/ 'Uge Choppa and Bosspole
17 Shoota Boys, Nob w/ 'Uge Choppa and Bosspole
13 Grots, Slaver

Fast Attack
2 Warbuggies w/ Rokkits
2 Warbuggies w/ Rokkits (the third
2 Deffkoptas, one Buzzsaw (the second kopta was a stand-in).

Heavy Support:
3 Kannons (I had leftover tank turrets and large bases. Basically, instead of artillery pieces one would limber around, I basically had several emplaced turrets. I like this outcome and will convert them up further).
3 Killa Kans w/ Kustom Mega Blastas.
3 Killa Kans w/ Kustom Mega Blastas.

My first opponent ran:
Kharn
Daemon Prince of Nurgle with Warptime, Wings
Summoned Greater Daemon

Unit of 10 Plague Marines with 2 Meltaguns, Champion with Fist, Icon
Unit of 10 Plague Marines with 2 Meltaguns, Champion with Fist, Icon
Unit of 10 Khorne Berserkers, Champion with Fist, Icon
Unit of Summoned Lesser Daemons

2 Obliterators
2 Obliterators
Chaos Land Raider

Tied on objectives, won on quarters.

Second opponent ran:
Sanguinor
Librarian w/ Jump Pack, Blood Lance, Shield of Sanguinius
Blinged out Honor Guard
Sanguinary Priest
4 units of 10 Assault Marines,
Blinged out Vanguard unit.

Won *that* game 1497 VP to 323 VP due to a mix of MSU multi-assaulting of units, a *really* well-timed Ghaz charge which took out half of his Assault Marines (and the Power Fists being forced to allocate their attacks onto him, leaving my MANZ fairly free to punch the living crap out of the Bloodbloods), and a well-placed Deffrolla tank-shocking the Sanguinor in a manner that he got pushed into range for one of my Kan units to assault him. This basically locked Goldenboy out of the fight for the rest of the game.

Third game was me winning by idiotic luck, barely by KP. (Dawn of War Deployment, incidentally). The guy ran:
3 Haemonculi, 2 w/ Liquifiers, 1 w/ Shattershard

3 units of 3 Trueborn, 3 Blasters, Venom w/ Dual Splinter Cannons
3 units of 5 Warriors, Blaster, Venom w/ Dual Splinter Cannons
3 units of 9 Wyches, Haywire Grenades, Hekatrix w/ Agonizer, Raider w/ Flickerfields and Enhanced Aethersails.
3 Ravagers
Just to make it *more* fun, he rolled a 6 for his Combat Drugs, so his Wyches all started off with 2 Tokens (basically, most melee attacks bounce off them and they hit like Orks on the charge).

Fourth game was against a Ghaz tide, and *that* game had a fair bit of a mess pre-game just because I mentioned my army was "NOT FINISHED" (I had basically forfeited my appearance score), and pre-game I was subject to a random spot check of my army. This screwed me over time-wise, and by then I was mentally making mistakes I shouldn't have...like deploying my Lootas LOS-blocked by my Kannons. Then Snikrot escorted a Bike Boss behind my lines and there went most of my plan. After that, I called it. I *really* feel that were I better-prepared as a player, things could have gone very differently.

His list btw was:
HQ:
Ghazgkull Thraka
Warboss on Bike, w/ Power Klaw, Cybork Body

Elites:
Snikrot's Kommandos, Big Shoota

Troops
4 units of 30 Shootaboyz, 3 Rokkit Launchas, Nob w/ Bosspole and Power Klaw.
Unit of 20 Grots

Fast Attack:
3 units of 2 Rokkit Warbuggies

Heavy Support:
2 Looted Wagons w/ Boomguns

Being Spearhead, he deployed 2 mobs in the far-right corner, spread out to camp objectives and he reserved everything else. Ghaz started on-table, and the Bike Boss came in with Snikrot's Kommandos.

My *fifth* game was against a judge as I had overslept. The lack of prior sleep caught up to me (and was still doing a horrid number). The guy ran an "Ambush" Space Wolf list based heavily off last year's list by Tony Kopach (Tony won again this year, incidentally).

Njal Stormcaller
4 Wolf Guard w/ Combi-Meltas, 2 w/ Combi-Meltas and Fists (The Fist/Combimeltas joined the Scouts. The rest joined the Hunters).
2 units of 5 Wolf Scouts, Meltaguns
4 units of 8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino
2 units of 5 Grey Hunters, Flamer, Razorback w/ TL Lascannon

3 units of Long Fangs, each with 4 Missile Launchers.
This is a "type" of army I've practiced against before. Had my setup ready...then he seized the initiative. I lose a Battlewagon and my Deffkoptas from the getgo. From there, I'm basically running my Buggies to screen against Wolf Scouts entering from behind, but mess up my model spacing. My Lootas manage to snipe one Wolf Scout unit off the table...I lost my Kannons after an assault, counterassaulted with Boyz, spaced badly and lost my Lootas to the *next* Wolf Scout unit (I had forgotten to, you know, *shoot* with my Loota in the turn before), and after suiciding a Meganob unit to kill some more Fangs, and him reserving some additional Rhinos to basically tankshock me off objectives, we called it.

It was one of *those* games that I really felt was more me screwing up as a player rather than being a list-matchup issue, to be honest. After that game, I said I would be back next year, mentioned my desire to withdraw from the tournament because between my being at a state of "oh god, can't play anymore," my army being a proxy repair-nightmare, I really felt playing further would be doing everyone else a dissservice. I thanked him for the game, asked for general advice, and for the most part things were rather helpful. One thing he did (and several others) mention was that despite it all, going 3-1 with Orks on a first tournament is still something not everyone does.

That's that mostly. Planned army update will be in a separate thread.

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #399 on: September 9, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »
Hey guys, sorry I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I was studying for a promotion board (which I aced) and then I was FINISHING MY BATCHELOR'S DEGREE!!!!    ;D

Now that that's done, I have more time for gaming.  SPACE MARINE came out for X-Box this week, which I've spent the last four days enjoying immensely; but it made me realize how much I'd missed chatting with you guys, so here I am.   :)
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.