News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: review of the effects of GW's NDA on the wider hobby  (Read 890 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
review of the effects of GW's NDA on the wider hobby
« on: March 17, 2022, 07:24:44 PM »
An interesting review of the GW content creator NDA and its impacts on the hobby space.
https://youtu.be/tdAuSHYVOaU

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: review of the effects of GW's NDA on the wider hobby
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 05:21:25 AM »
Old news really magenb. I read something similar to your video last year on Spikey Bits

Games Workshop NDA Leak More Damaging Than Their IP Policy
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 08:12:57 PM »
Rather dull. The video itself tries to sensationalise while at the same time fully admits if you don't like it don't sign it. All depends how much you want free stuff, or not get the free stuff as others have acknowledged. I've had to sign a few NDAs over the years and broke one within hours as their process was utterly unsafe and needed to be reported.

Wyddr can tell about his experience with the Black Library and their nonsense contract just for submitting an entry.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 10:37:02 AM »
Talked with a guy who runs a major games store here in the states recently. He's pulled all GW stuff from his inventory and won't sell them, though he loves their games. When I asked why, he said:

"They are just awful to work with. They are what happens when you let a bunch of lawyers run a company - soulless, petty, and pedantic."

My (limited) experience with their contracts bears this out. I like their products, but as an organization they suck.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 05:44:47 PM »
Old news really magenb. I read something similar to your video last year on Spikey Bits

Games Workshop NDA Leak More Damaging Than Their IP Policy

Their article focused on GW, which is what most places did when the NDA was leaked, where as the video was looking at it from the impacts on the wider hobby. Such as any content creator who signs the NDA, can't tell you if they signed the NDA, this is important because it also limits what these content creators can say about the products and company.