News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Water, Water Everywhere / Nor Any Drop To Drink  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Water, Water Everywhere / Nor Any Drop To Drink
« on: March 19, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »
Hey up everyone. Just in case anyone is wondering where I have been lately I have been dealing with a water leak at my house.

For a few weeks now I have had water pouring out through the foundation bricks of my house at the rate of about 3000 gallon a week. It has been a devil of a job trying to find someone that could both find, and fix the leak.

In the end I have had to partially dig up my kitchen floor myself in an effort to fix the problem.

As it stands at the moment the leak has slowed down, but my insurance company won't touch the problem because the leak isn’t from my active mains water line. The Water Board won't touch it because it is under my housem so not their problem.

I might be looking at a £1200 bill to get it sorted.

I am constantly bailing out my front yard which looks like a battlefield at the moment because that to has been dug up looking for the source of the leak

Anyway all of this and work doesn’t leave me much time for the forum.

I feel like I should say sorry to Myen'Tal as I have had to stop looking at his writing.

I will be back.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Water, Water Everywhere / Nor Any Drop To Drink
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:33:47 PM »
That's a lot of water and it's got to be doing terrible things to your foundations. We had a sub-slab leak after the water heater. So the heater would fill up, heat, drain, then repeat the cycle continuously. Massive water and gas bills before we were aware of what was going on.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 10:36:58 AM »
Hey up everyone. Just in case anyone is wondering where I have been lately I have been dealing with a water leak at my house.

For a few weeks now I have had water pouring out through the foundation bricks of my house at the rate of about 3000 gallon a week. It has been a devil of a job trying to find someone that could both find, and fix the leak.

In the end I have had to partially dig up my kitchen floor myself in an effort to fix the problem.

As it stands at the moment the leak has slowed down, but my insurance company won't touch the problem because the leak isn’t from my active mains water line. The Water Board won't touch it because it is under my housem so not their problem.

I might be looking at a £1200 bill to get it sorted.

I am constantly bailing out my front yard which looks like a battlefield at the moment because that to has been dug up looking for the source of the leak

Anyway all of this and work doesn’t leave me much time for the forum.

I feel like I should say sorry to Myen'Tal as I have had to stop looking at his writing.

I will be back.

Hey, definitely no need to apologize to me, Alienscar. You have to handle that water leak! Sorry to hear that you're going through this, and that the insurance company or water company refuse to help.

Hope you get the problem take care of soon! We'll be here when you're able to come back.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 01:31:45 PM »
That sounds like a complete nightmare.  I hope that you can get it sorted out.  It must be extremely aggravating that nobody wants to take responsibility for what is a very serious problem.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 10:28:25 PM »
That's some bull, bloody insurance pricks. Hope you get things fixed.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 07:05:02 AM »
Thanks everyone.

The problem is now about 90% fixed. With the help of a relative that luckily used to work for Metro Rod thirty years ago (the things you find out in an emergency eh!) the leak under my kitchen floor has been capped. After five days and a bit more digging the water has eventually stopped gushing out of the house foundations, and my drive is now back in one piece.

There is still the issue of an unused active mains pipe hidden somewhere under/around my house, but getting Welsh Water to do anything about this is proving a real struggle. On one of their five visits to look at the problem Welsh Water told me that if I could find the leaking pipe then they could trace it by catscan. Well I have been phoning them for the last two weeks, but getting them to turn up seems impossible.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 09:38:21 AM »
Thanks for the update, Alienscar. Glad your home isn't flooding anymore!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 10:00:53 PM »
Speaking as a consultant, you might want to be aware of potential future localised sinkholes based on the under-slab water leakage. I don't know anything of your local soil geology but keep it in mind. So, floor/wall cracking, that sort of thing.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 10:17:40 PM »
Continued best of luck, Alien.