News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thoughts on the new dwarf miniatures?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Thoughts on the new dwarf miniatures?
« on: February 8, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
They're enough to make me want to collect them again for the first time since the 5th edition era.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: Thoughts on the new dwarf miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
Excluding there stupid cost?
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »
Well, except that...I'm not made of money.  :P

How much can such kits cost them anyway?  Surely things should be getting cheaper ?  But that's another topic for another discussion.

In short I think they are fantastic models but are just too dear for me.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
I really like some of the new minis. Especially the Longbeards with 1h Weapon + Shield which are going to be my Ironbreaker proxies. Don't like the Hammerer's heads. Can't say much about the rest since i don't buy the WD anymore. From what i've seen in rumour posts, the Gyrocopter/bomber looks a bit silly and the Characters are a bit unimpressive.

The new Irobreakers/drakes might be cool but i won't judge them before i've seen them in reality. Since i already own a pretty decent collection of Dwarfs, i'm mostly looking forward to the book and will add a couple of new minis to my existing collection, depending on how much i like their looks. Atm it seems as if I will have to get like 3-4 boxes of Hammeres and Irobreakers just for the minis. Don't know what types of units they're going to represent though.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
Might as well post some pictures of them:

Grimm Burloksson, Belegar Ironhammer, Runelord, Dragon Slayer, Hammers/Longbeards and the Gyrobomber/-copter.

According to the latest white dwarf, they wanted the fliers to look like ships.  I can see that in the design.  And the magazine describes dwarfs as like slow burning coals in character...cold looking on the outside but raging with fire on the inside among other things.  Damn, they make them sound awesome.  I'm falling for the sales pitch.  :P
« Last Edit: February 8, 2014, 01:08:57 PM by Land Rover Tangi »

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
Dwarves for me have always been an army of interest because of the back ground but always put off by the models of old with their rosey cheeks and oversized hands.

These hold much more promise and i really do like the new models.   I wont be starting a new army any time soon but here's hoping I might generate a few commissions of the new stuff so I get a chance to paint it at least.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »
If I could get anybody around here to actually play Fantasy, I'd be all over this. As it stands, I try not to look as it just makes me sad.

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2014, 01:51:12 PM »
If I could get anybody around here to actually play Fantasy, I'd be all over this. As it stands, I try not to look as it just makes me sad.

I know that feeling. Don't get me wrong I love 40k but I'd love to build an ogre army and be able to play. This is mainly the reason I too won't be buying the new dwarves asuch as I do like them

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
Me too.  Fantasy players are scarce as hens teeth in my neck of the woods.  Then again, I do get a kick out of just collecting.  I'll definitely keep plans for a new dwarf army on the list.  It would be great to have them again for the first time in like ten years.  My army from back in the day was red with white trim.  This got funny when it came to painting the old metal thunderer with the Santa hat.  The 'poleglass Santa Claus' my friends called it, after a violent car and gun crime ridden neighbourhood in my area.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 9, 2014, 02:20:11 PM by Land Rover Tangi »

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 12:52:53 AM »
the new models look sick. i love all the celtic/runic detail all over the place. they do make me want to start a dwarf army, but as stated price will stop that lol.

on the other hand, im kind of dissapointed that they havent made new models for slayers. they still look way outdated to me, and it just seems lazy on GW's part. Oh and same with the older models for lords and thanes, especially the slayer king!
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 08:26:07 AM »
Price be damned.  I'm collecting a new dwarf army!  In the summer....I'm broke at the moment.  :P

As for new slayer models, you never know.  They could be just around the corner!  I sure hope so too, because as you say they're very dated.  I think they're old enough to drink in most countries now.  ;)

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 04:11:36 PM »
Personally i like the Slayers a lot. And if you don't like the old or current Slayers, there is the Berzerker Box from AoW which is an awesome Deal. I believe they could also mix really well with the GW Slayers.

I'm gonna get like ~20 Drakes, ~30 Ironbreakers with Shields which i will use as Clan Warriors, some ~30 Longbeards with Shields which will be my Ironbreakers  :P alongside the metal Longbeards/Hammerers/Slayers. Also gonna use Bugmans guys as X-Bow guys with 2handers. A couple of Bombers too i think. I'll also try to get enough of those Shields that the new Ironbreakers have, so that i can equip my whole army with those!!

I'm really looking forward to get back to my Dwarfs!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:14:42 PM by Katamari Damacy »
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.