News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fallout Wasteland Warfare  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Fallout Wasteland Warfare
« on: April 21, 2019, 05:59:45 PM »
I've stumbled across a cross between a role-playing, board, and war game in the form of Fallout Wasteland Warfare.  It has been around for a couple of years now, so I'm somewhat behind the times, but I am definitely going to get into this.  While the starting set models are not particularly impressive in terms of the material used to make them, according to the reviews, watching game play on You Tube, combined with the fact that this game can be played solo, as well as others, makes it very attractive to me.

There are already a significant number of boxed sets of figures from all the factions and a variety of different terrain features available.  According to the developers' blog there is plenty more to come as well, including an expansion of the role-playing element.  This, combined with the fact that they're working on adding more free online scenarios, all looks very promising to me.

Are there any Fallout players around here who are interested in this?
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Fallout Wasteland Warfare
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »
The miniatures are really cool, but I don't know anyone who plays. I've seen some video of gameplay when it came out, but doesn't appeal to me too much, personally.

Playing boardgames solitaire doesn't appeal to me at all. I'd rather just paint, or play video games.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 06:24:46 PM »
I've watched three complete let's plays and I am hooked.  I've ordered the starter box and the settlement expansion.

One of my colleagues plays, but even if he didn't, the whole way in which the AI works makes playing by yourself viable.  There was a complete let's play just on that and it was very exciting.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:41:33 AM »
I played it once, it's not my thing to be honest. To me a "board game" should be fairly straight forward in the rule set. Risk is a good example, where the rules are simple, but complexity comes from the scenario.

For me, it's like they couldn't make up their mind if they wanted a boardgames or skirmish game.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 08:07:41 AM »
It's really not a board game though.  I recognise that there are some board game elements to it, but in terms of how movement and combat works, it is most definitely a wargame.  I note that the Getting Acclimated document that comes with the starter box, it makes it clear in the opening paragraph that this is a tabletop game/wargame.  I think that the issue that you describe arises because there is a perception among some people that it is, or should have been, a board game.  Watching any of the let's plays, however, highlights that it's definitely not a board game, so I can only assume that people who thought that it would be a board game didn't research it in advance of buying it.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »
I finally managed to play my first game and it was fantastic.  The first tutorial scenario took only one hour to play all four rounds (turns in GW speak) and it was just the tonic that I needed at the moment.  The basic rules are easy to follow, logical, and don't involve rolling any D6 at all, which is great in my opinion, and having only a few models makes me feel so much more involved in the game.  In addition, the designers really have captured so many elements of how different unit types behave in the computer game so well with the rules.

I played the Survivors faction against my dad's Super Mutants.  He had some unlucky rules in close combat, which helped to aid my victory, but it was so apt how inaccurate the Super Mutants were with their shooting.  It was unlucky for him that his Brute fluffed his close combat charge with the Sledgehammer.  The Sole Survivor was surprisingly more deadly with the 10mm Pistol than I was expecting and Dogmeat is very dangerous, but the woman and man of the match for me were the regular settlers at long range with their Hunting Rifles.

It really is so similar to playing the computer game, only it gets me away from the screen, which is great for my eyes, and is a lot of fun.  I'd really encourage any of you who are interest in the Fallout universe to give it a go.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:01:24 PM »
Careful, if you end up playing a 40K game we'll have to get you defrocked. You know the rules.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
I played the second tutorial game yesterday.  This involved bringing in the rules for investigation markers and searchable icons.  This is the equivalent of finding items of interest, random wasteland encounters, lockpicking or hacking, and/or getting caught in a trap.  Once again my dad took on the role of playing the Super Mutants against my Survivors.

It was another very enjoyable game.  Some of the rules regarding the searchable icons were a little bit awkward to understand, but other than that it flowed very well and the four gaming rounds took only just over an hour to complete.  It really does have a great pacing to it this game.  The result was a draw after the Survivors and the Super Mutants managed to obtain three items each and neither side was wiped out.  Both of us lost two models each and one of the surviving Super Mutants was wounded.

Once I have completed all the tutorial missions, I plan to start posting proper battle reports.  This may take some time though, as I go back to work next week and I will not be home again to do any gaming until the summer.  In the meantime, if anyone is thinking that they might be interested in the game, please feel free to ask any questions here and I will do my best to answer them.