News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: my pathetic newbie quetsions  (Read 2098 times)

Offline vertigionix

• respect your eldars.
my pathetic newbie quetsions
« on: January 27, 2002, 08:47:15 AM »
some annoying little questions i would like answers for:

1) To paint on the clear plastic vehicle canopies, is it any different? apart from being careful to only get paint on the parts that should be painted, do i just basecoat black and then paint on the lines. its hard to explain   :-\

2) Any tips on mottleing blues on alaitoc vehicles, like in the craftworld codex? the description isn't very detailed.

3) This will seem very stupid, but do you basecoat or anything different with the tree sprues because they colored? and what colors should i use on them.

Thats all now... i'll shut up for a while.
and thanks to those who replyed to my previous post in the old forum, the jetbikes look sweet with iyanden flags   8)

fight like china.

Offline Jehenna

• Almost Purple
  • Ancient
  • 'baka' - Ruri Hoshino of the Nadesico
    • Eldaronline
Re:my pathetic newbie quetsions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2002, 04:23:46 PM »
don't paint the canopies, except the lines which should match the rest of the vehicle - this requires some delicate painting.

blister pack foam pads - dip them in watered down paint and press lightly on the vehicle, try it on paper first, this will give you a camo effect.

i don't like those trees but if you intend to paint them just drybrush the leaves and trunk with lighter colors for example.

Offline Galadhrion

Re:my pathetic newbie quetsions
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 06:30:12 PM »
Well, here goes,

1) As jehenna says - paint the frame on the canopy but not the whole thing - and you could do this in exactly the same way as you do the rest of the hull.

2) Mottled blue - now this depends on what you want.   Mixing up three or four different shades of various hues of your basic blue - I'm sorry I can't give GW names as I don't use them - make one of them paler and the others darker.  Then paint patches over the whole hull - look at real camo if you want to get real impact or just use the GW images as a guide.  Keep it simple and try to keep all the patches of a similar size to the others in their colour.  It's actually best not to mix up the colours simultaneously as this will cause them to dry too quickly - do one at a time

3) With the trees either a) simple method - drybrush and then ink the trunk brown. (Drybrush paler and ink darker brown) Do the same with the leaves only with green.  or b) If you want something more impressive then undercoat the trunks black - make sure all the bits will go back together after you've done this mind you  ;) then undercoat the tops Dark Angels green and then highlight - maybe by careful drybrushing.  

If the paint won't go on the scenery easily - or indeed on any plastics this may be because oil from handling is stopping the paint fix.  To combat this mix a little washing up liquid with the colour - I do this for most of my undercoats anyway and it helps keep the paint thin but get good coverage.

Phew, that's it I think ;)
Los answerd furious, "Art thou one of those who when most complacent
Mean mischief most? If you are such Lo! I am also such
One must be master. try thy Arts I also will try mine
For I percieve Thou hast Abundance which I claim as mine"

Urizen startled stood but not Long soon he cried:
"Obey my voice young Demon; I am God from Eternity to Eternity"

Blake, The Four Zoas