News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The ULTIMATE PAINTING SECRET  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Antioch

• I am only partially happy to see you.
The ULTIMATE PAINTING SECRET
« on: March 19, 2002, 12:36:04 AM »
When it comes to painting, there is only one thing you need to know in order to create art that is revered around the land...KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!
find a colour scheme that you like, is quick to paint (for those swarms of cannon-fodder guardians) but is easily embellished (for those few special characters and, or course, spirit walkers!)
keep this in mind, and you will never go wrong.  
For example.  Pick Sky blue and black for your army colours.  Great.  Now on you character's cloak, you could still use the blue and black, but maybe set it up so that there is an Eldar cityscape stretching up through sky blue to black night, complete with twinkling stars.....
be creative!

Courtesy of CorsairRouge!
Fear is for those of no confidence!

Offline wolfsbane21

Re:The ULTIMATE PAINTING SECRET
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 03:32:05 AM »
It's true, the models won't be usable quicker if you paint them all to the highest standard with 25 colours on one model. Besides that, it doesn't look well if you overdo it on the colours. You shouldn'tmake them lowquality though, but just keep it simple
"Hold still pretty thing, I want to make your death as artistic as possible." A wych to her craft-world prey in the Arena.

the_mighty_brain

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2002, 03:42:27 AM »
using a 3 tone scheme usually works for me.

I have learnt to keep those tones close together and not having extreme highlights for realism.

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2002, 08:06:56 AM »
i like extreame highlights on most things. harlequins in particular. all these people going for 'realism', we're talking about space elves running round with lasers- come on!
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Krathen Astreyk

• I wish I could make my eye's glow in the shadows.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2002, 10:43:22 AM »
I personally like taking a lot of time on models. Basicly I have 5 colours I use in my army black red blue gold silver
now I shade everyone (silver is chainmail hilighted mithril) and just do varients on the colour scheme for my warriors. working on a new dark reaper exarch right now.
Maybe if I hold really still in my cammo the bloodthirster won't eat me when I shoot it through the skull.....
-last thought of Deak the unlucky Eldar Ranger

Offline Wolf_Lord

• I am the lord of the wolves, fear me!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2002, 12:49:55 PM »
you won't simple? well my colours are black and red lie my guardians are black with red helmets and guns. Somple yet they look great and so does my wraithlord.
"may the dark sun light your journey"

Offline Evonine

• The Geeky Hottie
    • New Vision Studios
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2002, 03:51:53 AM »
I believe in simplicity to a point, but special characters and vehicles often benefit greatly from spending a little extra time adding a few special touches!

Offline Galadhrion

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2002, 09:18:08 AM »
I agree with your advice to keep it simple stupid!   ;D
Clean painting is very nice to behold over a battlefield.  For years I played with armies painted fairly simply without highlights or shading and received a great deal of praise for my efforts.  But, and here's the but, I think that the usual scheme of painting basic squads to one standard and painting characters to a higher one can actually be counter-productive.  IMHO a blindingly well painted character shows up simply painted troops and the detail and realism of the better painted model makes the others seem flat and unimpressive.  So what's my solution?  I paint everything to a high standard if I can - I'm no 'eavy metal painter but I can shade, highlight and blend and now do this on all of my miniatures - as well as keeping them neat and clean.  In general 40k armies are smaller than Warhammer ones so you can really go to town if you want to.  And I do, but only becasue I get a great deal out of it.

But I agree - Keep it safe and keep it simple.  A cleanly painted army is seriously impressive to behold.  
Los answerd furious, "Art thou one of those who when most complacent
Mean mischief most? If you are such Lo! I am also such
One must be master. try thy Arts I also will try mine
For I percieve Thou hast Abundance which I claim as mine"

Urizen startled stood but not Long soon he cried:
"Obey my voice young Demon; I am God from Eternity to Eternity"

Blake, The Four Zoas

Offline Antioch

• I am only partially happy to see you.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2002, 02:42:58 PM »
uhoh. I think it is time to reveal to the public that I am a hypocrite.  Oh dear.   ::)  You see, I have a rather embarassing habit of spending a HUGE amount of time even on simple guardians....this is simply because my colour scheme demands it (check out the void dragon phoenix on forgeworld.co.uk, the colour scheme is similar to that, only in green)  Maybe you guys will be able to see the fruit of my work in the future.
To summarise, I really meant this message for painters who are just starting off...or for anyone who doesn't want to spend their life painting a gigantic amount of tiny green scales....
CorsairRouge (why rouge? on second thought, it really should be vert....but it doesn't sound as good....oh well)
Fear is for those of no confidence!

Offline Cormer Lir

• Farseer of Isthalion
  • Ancient
  • The Hand of Khaine
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2002, 02:55:50 PM »
INKS!!

By far the simplest method of achieving good results, in my experience.

Though they don't work so well with my typical paint schemes... :P
"It is not the strength, but the duration of great sentiments that makes great men."
                                                          -Nietzsche

Offline Evonine

• The Geeky Hottie
    • New Vision Studios
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2002, 03:03:31 PM »
Inks are wonderful, so are simple paint schemes...but I think that the number one difference between a good paint job and a bad one seems to be the density of the paint....keep the paint thin!  Minis with thick, globed on paint hanging off of them never never seem to look as good, no matter how  simple their color scheme is.

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2002, 11:56:13 PM »
for my guardians i use three colors to make them a quick job..(i have sixty so i need the speed!!) and for aspects i use as many as 5 colors...or more...but it is a good trick to use only a few colors because it does make it go quick yet if chosen right...can lead to a pretty sharp lookin army
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

eldarfox

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2002, 01:18:54 PM »
if want to play in a fully painted army that's one thing.

if you just want to get them painted fast then keep it simple.
just take your time and play a half painted army.
if your not into that then keep it simple stupid(my math teacher always said that!!)