News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Getting back into the game....  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Satanic Joker Jester

• Armies: Eldar
Getting back into the game....
« on: January 26, 2020, 01:07:55 PM »
Hey guys, I used to play warhammer avidly, but haven't played in something like 9 years now?  I'm looking to get back into the hobby, but looking through the forum and etc I'm super confused.

I realize lots of changes have come and gone, and some major overhauls seem to have come as well.  What i'm wondering i guess is,

Would my older army lists still hold some relevance?  And what books or resources do i need to actually write up an army list?  Seems like there is a lot out there now, and i heard the codex's don't even have the actual point costs now??

I used to field a lot of Wave Serpants and fire prisms/falcons, or run war walkers and wraithlords etc, usually more of a mobile firepower style play.  Still quite valid?

I'm going to be playing a into game next weekend most likely to try to get a feel for the state of the game now, just wondering what i need to get so i can be prepared as much as i can,

thanks!
another day, just breathe.

Looking for a new army project...
Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Possible, that it could all be wonderful~
Sweet the sound, as all the stars come crashing down~

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Getting back into the game....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »
Point costs are in the codex (in the back) but the recent chapter approved (an annual update book) has updated points for every unit in the game.

You'll want the codex, chapter approved 2019, and psychic awakening: Phoenix rising campaign book for all current rules and points values.

Viability of units depends on your gaming group. Competitive circles lists will look much different than more friendly games.

Mechanized and mobile Eldar lists are still quite good.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:57:23 PM by Partninja »

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »
so i need 3 books to play one army? jeez...right on though thank you.  I don't know how competitive the players are where I live now, will be my first time playing in this town. 

I guess I'll just try to run something similar to what i used to play, which was a fairly competitive list and go from there.

thanks!

Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 01:02:22 AM »
Give us an example of you lists and maybe we can give you pros and cons of them.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »
so i need 3 books to play one army? jeez...right on though thank you.  I don't know how competitive the players are where I live now, will be my first time playing in this town. 

I guess I'll just try to run something similar to what i used to play, which was a fairly competitive list and go from there.

thanks!

You don't need three books to play the game.

All you need is your codex ,and the free 40k core rules you can download from games workshops website.

All units in the codex have a power level, which you can use for list building to get used to the new rules and mechanics of the game.

Chapter approved has fantastic missions, and updated points for a more granular way to build army lists, and is a good pick up later on, when you're more familiar with the rules.

Psychic awakening is an optional rules supplement which add more rules options for your army. I wouldn't worry about that until later and you have some games under your belt.

My best advice is to start with smaller games (500-1000pts) to learn the rules, and get familiar to your army, and slowly expand your game sizes.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 08:36:46 PM »
right on thanks for the info guys.  Feeling better about it.  Heading to the LGS this sunday to try out a game and just watch and get a feel for how the game goes now.

I'm thinking of fielding something more mobile.

probably along the lines of

farseer
Autarch

WS + guardian defenders
WS+ guardian defenders
WS + wraithguard

2x fire prism
falcon

and then whatever else to fill in points, likely either some rangers or jetbikes maybe, possibly vypers.

I got lucky and scored a codex for 10$ practically brand new, :D

Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Offline Exemplarch

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2020, 11:51:33 AM »
Imo Dark Reapers are essential for any list, a must have.
Which craft world are you going for? If you're guardian heavy maybe Ulthwe would be best.
I tend to field an Alaitoc detachment with stand back shoot stuff and an Iyanden detachment with stuff that has a wound track table.
You can throw in a Harlequin patrol detachment for a few hundred points that can be game changing. Even if they don't make it to the enemy to do their amazing stuff, the sheer threat of them will have your opponent panicking and making mistakes in an effort to remove the threat.

Edit:  Removed mention of piracy / copyright infringement.  --- GML
« Last Edit: February 1, 2020, 04:51:11 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
Ok well, i went to the LGS today and talked to a bunch of the guys.  Didn't get a chance to play but I'll be trying to get a game in this week.  The general feel isn't a super competitive place, but some are definitely a little more than others.

I wrote up a 2k list with what i had brought, didn't use all my collection still have quite a bit I could swap in but figured it was a good place to start.

1999 pts

HQ

Farseer, guide, mind war, singing spear

warlock, conceal, singing spear

warlock, conceal, singing spear,

troops

10x dire avengers

10x guardian defenders

5x ranger

5x ranger

Elites,

5x fire dragon

5x fire dragon

Heavy support

5 reapers inc. exarch with tempest launcher

falcon, CTM, VE,

Falcon, CTM, VE

Fire Prism, CTM, VE

Wraithlord, ghostglaive,

Wraithlord, Ghostglaive, brightlance

Dedicated transports

Waveserspant, CTM, bright lance, VE

Waveserspant, CTM, bright lance, VE

Waveserspant,

Plan was to have the rangers and reapers + 2x WL and a warlock + a farseer hang back and sort of make a block, possibly have some rangers deploy closer to objectives and have a WS+ falcon go support them,

Really just a bit of a mix of static + mobile since I didn't know what I would be up against had I gotten to play.  The fire dragons would likely go in the falcons and tank hunt, and yea...fairly straightforward list, able to move quite well while having a few heavy hitters still.

Any ideas or suggestions?  I Don't have more farseer models atm, only one.  So could run him as Eldrad,  also i was thinking of running an Avatar to go with the two wraithlords,

This would be using the battalion detachment and the spearhead detachment. 

Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: February 2, 2020, 06:16:50 PM »
I was going to give you quite the breakdown but decided to let you just play what you have to sort of learn what works and what doesn't. Some tips though.

Please organise your list into how your detachments will be. Are you playing matched play games? If so detachments need to be built a certain way. Just helps us see how your detachments will be grouped and what craftworld trait each will be/can be using.

I would take 2-3 Fire Prisms or don't take any. Their real strength comes from the linked fire stratagem.

Edit: Forgot mention - you can't cast two powers in the same turn. While having redundant powers is legitimate I would suggest running protect/jinx on one of the warlocks. It's quite powerful. I also suggested executioner over mindwar on the farseer. The mortal wound output it can do is quite strong.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2020, 06:19:18 PM by Partninja »

« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2020, 09:16:44 PM »
Ah right,  When i wrote the list out i used an app and didn't use the detachment thing to build it but threw them into it after.  I'll wait a bit and try to get some games under my belt then write out a new list.  Just showing what i was planning on running with, a bit of everything to sort of get a feel i guess.  Will then focus on a proper list with a set goal/theme in mind.

Thanks for the tips though!

Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
So I played a game. Definitely a lot of mistakes made and things I could have should have done better. Biggest thing I noticed right away was my deployment. I spread out too far but it wasn't the worst.

I've got a game coming up against a salamanders player soon, again at 2k points. He foot slogs a good amount of units and has huge firepower output at midrange, so looking to make a list to fight him.

Here is what I used against him.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [89 PL, 1,566pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 115pts]: 0. Smite, 2: An Eye on Distant Events, 4. Executioner, Craftworlds Warlord, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear

Warlock [2 PL, 45pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [6 PL, 110pts]
. 10x Dire Avenger: 10x Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Rangers [6 PL, 72pts]: 6x Ranger

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]: 5x Ranger

+ Elites +

Fire Dragons [12 PL, 220pts]
. 10x Fire Dragon: 10x Fusion Gun

Wraithguard [11 PL, 165pts]: Wraithcannon, 5x Wraithguard

+ Fast Attack +

Warp Spiders [9 PL, 135pts]
. 8x Warp Spider: 8x Death Spinner
. Warp Spider Exarch: Death Spinner
. . Exarch Power: Iron Resolve

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [7 PL, 160pts]
. 4x Dark Reaper: 4x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Tempest Launcher
. . Exarch Power: Crack Shot

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 180pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Twin Bright Lance

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 152pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannon

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 152pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [27 PL, 431pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Iyanden: Stoic Endurance

+ HQ +

Warlock [2 PL, 50pts]: 0. Smite, 1. Conceal/Reveal, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear

+ Heavy Support +

Falcon [9 PL, 137pts]: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Crystal Targeting Matrix, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Vectored Engines

Wraithlord [8 PL, 122pts]: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Flamer, Flamer, Ghostglaive

Wraithlord [8 PL, 122pts]: Bright Lance, Flamer, Flamer, Ghostglaive

++ Total: [116 PL, 1,997pts] ++

As far as changes I'm not sure. I've got 2 prisms I could take, as well as another falcon. Guardian squad and scorps,couple war walkers etc

My eldar army is sort of in dissaray atm so this is mainly what I've got to use.

Any ideas how to make this list a little stronger? As far as game plan I think it'll be setting up very strong on one side to try and crush a flank and move from there.

Im wondering if I should buy some more dark reapers to fill out the squad. And maybe drop the spiders for war walkers or find a few more points and squeeze in two prisms

Also debating picking up 2 crimson hunter exarchs and a hemlock? Haven't tried them before and they seem pretty awesome

Link to third party software removed - Iris.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:06:09 PM by Satanic Joker Jester »

Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 10:08:07 PM »
You've got a good mix for sure. For me I never leave home without prisms but I haven't used my wraith lords in awhile so...as for crimson hunters, I love mine to death and always try to bring at least one. I never put my CH on the table during set up, turn 2 or 3 before zooming them on the board with that SURPRISE tactic and usually they help to get rid of problems. Hope you have success with this list, I see lots of versitility there. Good luck.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 02:02:18 AM »
I'd suggest picking up the Psychic Awakening: Phoenix Rising book. There's Exarch powers and craftworld traits you're missing out on that would be quite useful.

Your Alaitoc detachment needs to get pretty close for the most part making most of the units not getting much benefits.

Your Iyanden detachment, while having a double wound chart seems good on paper, usually doesn't help. The master artisans craftworld trait to reroll failed hit and wound would help a lot due to the type of fire power these use (single shot high damage weapons). Given you want to take a lot of vehicles I would swap the Wraithlords for Prisms. Then run this as Alaitoc (since you can stay at range) or two of the "buil-a-craftworld" traits from Phoenix Rising.

The CTM on the triple shuriken cannon Serpents are completely waisted points since they're assault weapons.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 09:32:18 PM »
Right about the ctm... Ok well. Figured I'd take the list in a bit different direction. I used to play super mobile lists for the most part but this whole meta seems different and I don't know the flyers so figured I'd try them out.  And with the new character rules I can mess around some more as well.  Here's a newer list I wrote up.

Once I get the models for wraith blades and more wg I'll build an iyanden style force to mess around with but till then here we go.... Just ordered the hemlock and crimson exarch +bike psyches and extra reapers. Pretty excited :)

for craftworld traits I'm doing the  expert crafters and masters of concealment. Open to opinions though.  These just seem like they benefit my whole army fairly well.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [62 PL, 1,071pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: *Custom Craftworld*

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 137pts]: 0. Smite, 2. Doom, 4. Executioner, 6: Seer of the Shifting Vector, Craftworlds Warlord, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult
. The Phoenix Gem

Warlock Skyrunner [4 PL, 67pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [6 PL, 113pts]
. 9x Dire Avenger: 9x Avenger Shuriken Catapult
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults
. . Exarch Power: Bladestorm

+ Elites +

Fire Dragons [12 PL, 154pts]
. 7x Fire Dragon: 7x Fusion Gun

+ Flyer +

Crimson Hunter Exarch [9 PL, 176pts]: Two Starcannons
. Exarch Power: Hawkeye

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 157pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Cannon

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 147pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [47 PL, 929pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: *Custom Craftworld*

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 110pts]: 0. Smite, 1. Guide, 2. Doom, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [13 PL, 315pts]
. 9x Dark Reaper: 9x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Tempest Launcher
. . Exarch Power: Rain of Death

Fire Prism [9 PL, 147pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Fire Prism [9 PL, 147pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Flyer +

Hemlock Wraithfighter [10 PL, 210pts]: 0. Smite, 1. Conceal/Reveal, Spirit Stones

++ Total: [109 PL, 2,000pts] ++

Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »
This latest list is a much more optimized well rounded list IMO. I think it looks good and will be a good list for you to learn and tweak off of.

Any changes I would suggest would be mostly personal preference. I would drop the Dragons for a 3rd prism or another flyer.