News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warcry Warbands  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Warcry Warbands
« on: October 12, 2019, 08:39:11 AM »
I've been playing a lot of Warcry these days, here are the two wabands I've been using. The Iron Golems, and the Cypher Lords. Both painted mostly using contrast paints.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Warcry Warbands
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »
I love the look of the Cypher Lords!

Just saw a demo of contrast paints the other day. They look really cool. Did you use contrast on everything, or just the flesh tones, or what? Did you throw the contrast on first and then touch up with Layers and stuff, or what was the basic process?

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
I'll say, that the contrast paints are really valuable tools for quickly getting quick results which look good.

For both warband I started with grey deer spray coat.

For the iron golems, the skin is a single coat of space wolves grey. The armour was baaecoated runefang steel, and then painted with athermatic blue. The trim was painted shyish purple. I then used some washes overtop to make it look a bit dirty.

For the cypher lords, the skin is guillimen flesh, the cloth is space wolves grey, hair is athermatic blue, and the white in the headdress is apothecary white. I then dry brushed the hair with solid wych flesh. The metallics are normal metallics.

The iron golems I painted in basically one evening. The cypher lords took a bit more time, as I was still figuring the paint out.

I am currently painting a serephon army, when it's all conteast, and then highlights with traditional paint. Super fast, and works really well. Contrast is basically a base coat and wash in a pot. And works really well on areas with texture (skin. Hair, fur, clothing etc), and makes painting very fast. Using only contrast paints,  I painted my entire Blackstone fortress set in two days.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
Glorious warbands, Squid! I love what you've done with them! I think the contrast on the Iron Golems and your method for their armor is a really neat trick! I love both bands, but I'm a Cypher Lord fan myself, so I'm voting them the best painted ;D ;D ;D ;).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 06:59:05 AM »
Glorious warbands, Squid! I love what you've done with them! I think the contrast on the Iron Golems and your method for their armor is a really neat trick! I love both bands, but I'm a Cypher Lord fan myself, so I'm voting them the best painted ;D ;D ;D ;).

Thanks,  yeah the cypher lord were the first warband I played through the campaign for.

Contrast paints are a pretty amazing tool. It's greatly accelerated the speed I can get models done, and they are fun to experiment with.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 05:19:06 PM »
looking good Killersquid!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 11:16:05 PM »
They look really sweet. The colors fit perfectly not overwhelming or distracting. These are some of the best I've seen using those paints. 2 thumbs up!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword