News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Highlighting my army?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Broodje_Ham

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Highlighting my army?
« on: February 26, 2019, 05:51:56 AM »
Hey I'm struggeling to get a good highlight on my models.

They are base black coat, khorne red en the highlithing rexist

-evil sunz scarlet
-wildrider red
-fire dragon bright

I don't think the highlight made it better. any suggestions, cause this is messy and ugly :(

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Highlighting my army?
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »
It looks like you want to go for a dark red, so given you are using khorne, you would first highlight with something like wazdakka red and then extreme edge highlight with Wild Rider red.

The colours need to be some what close, so a jump from dark red to orange, is too big of a jump.

Personal taste kicks in a bit, so grain of salt. If you want the edge to be that wide/tall then think about transitioning to the next colour. Lots of different ways to do it, I like dry brushing and wet blending mostly because I'm lazy and lack the patients to layer it :)

Since you have a very long edge, you also have a couple of more options, you can just do short very edge tips with wild rider, or use wild rider along the full length, but only the very edge, then use the orange at the very tips, like the nose or corners

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2019, 02:00:00 AM »
I use a fair amount of edge highlighting with my models. It looks as though you’re using the flat of the brush to apply a line. That’s very, very difficult to do neatly, leading to a wobbly, somewhat messy line that you have. Try getting some paint on your brush (ensure it’s thinned so that it has a nice, smooth consistency) and then removed most on your palette. Then, using only the edge of the brush, drag it gently alonly the sharp edge of the canopy that you want to highlight. The paint should only go on to the sharp edge, creating a clear and sharp highlight.

For highlighting Khorne red, I would use wazdakka red followed by evil suns scarlet closer to the far edges of the canopy, where they meet at a point. If you wanted to highlight further, move into a more cream range, as orange highlights on red often look a touch unnatural.

Hope this helps somewhat. Drop by the projects board and take a look at the work of some of the guys there as some do it pretty well.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
Hey I'm struggeling to get a good highlight on my models.

I don't think the highlight made it better. any suggestions, cause this is messy and ugly :(

Hey Broodje Ham don't be too hard on yourself. Whilst it might be messy it certainly isn't ugly. Why not try straightening up your highlight by reapplying a bit of Khorne Red over the wobbly bits.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Highlighkting my army?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 04:23:03 AM »
Hope this helps. Start by thinning your color and blending into you bristles. Wipe most of it off on your pallet and then lean the brush like shown. Pull along the edge with gentle pressure close to where the bristles are attached to the brush...

Then just drag it along the edge. It will give you nice sharp edge.

Of course this is for when you start painting. For what you have already go with what Alienscar said.

Good luck.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword