News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Word Bearers Squad  (Read 2006 times)

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
Word Bearers Squad
« on: June 9, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

I present some Chaos marines.  I painted these up in the colours of the Word Bearers, just because I like the dark red scheme.

This is just the six "basic" members of the 10-man squad.  I'll paint the champion, special weapon marines and icon bearer separately.

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Word Bearers Squad
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
G'day Malicant!
So nice!! Your attention to detail is inspiring. The yellow flame under the emblem, on the shoulder pad, helps it stand out nicely. Your style  of painting on the horns make them look mean as. The dark red and the metal edging go well together, good choice. Can't say I've ever been a fan of Chaos, however, these boys go a long way to change a blokes mind.
Well done!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:32:49 AM »
Very nice! Definitley prove, that even those old models can look great, when given a nice paint job. I think they look fantastic. The red came out great and I think the balance of bone and boltgun looks awesome. The transfer work is great too. Always happy to see a post from you Malicant. Great stuff!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:50:54 AM »
Thanks lads, kind replies as ever.

Just a note on the shoulder pads.  The legion icon is indeed a transfer.  I used the microset and microsol products.  They do give a pretty good results, but a hand-painted symbol will always look nicer.  I was going to give it a try, but I wanted to get these models done as they took longer than I wanted them to take.  They'll likely find their way to ebay, or a gift to my cousin who wants to start 40k.

One thing that I did learn is that the Chaos marines really need an update.  The the detail on the legs in particular is very poor in some places.  Honestly, I understand why chaos players say that they feel neglected.  If I were making a chaos army of my own, I'd probably convert chaos marines from the HH plastics or make a renegade force from "normal" space marines!

Back to the paints!