News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Orange you glad I didn't say Iyanden  (Read 11189 times)

Offline Orange

Re: Orange you glad I didn't say Iyanden
« Reply #60 on: December 7, 2017, 07:25:27 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Cavalier--the hybrids do have a certain charm but the helmets don't have any detail--so weird that you can just see where they've used a sculpting tool to roughly make an eye shape in the helmet and go "meh, you get the idea" ;)

And thanks, the yellow is in intimidating (and so easy to make mistakes onto when doing nearby colours) but I think it's worth it in the end. I appreciate your kind words as always!

Probably not clear from the photo but they're all chainmail guardians! I've got some of the one piece lasgun and shurcat defenders that I'm going to sneak in to that squad.

And fair enough SeekingOne, though at least they're better than the old mono-pose plastics!

Offline Orange

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2017, 01:34:54 AM »
Just a little update...

My dire avenger exarch on the left, was the first model I painted for this army and I was experimenting with a metallic technique. I liked it but decided not to do all the avengers like that, I think it suits the exarxh to be a little different.

Then the normal avengers in progress. Love these models. Maybe not so much the lunging guy, but the rest look so stoic.

Then my scorpion exarch. Much bigger than the others and doesn’t fit in super well, but you get the idea and I don’t want to chop up one of the original ones to give him a power claw.

And the Hordes model Rask. I’m doing a little force for this game and I thought it’d be cool to paint something a bit more organic amongst the high tech eldar. Plus I’ve liked these models for ages and wanted to give them the cartoony swamp monster look.

Avengers not far away, then I’ve only got a wraithlord to paint and I’ve got 1000 points to play with.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2017, 02:37:34 AM »
G'day Orange!
Really like the metallic blueish hue on the Exarch, mate. Very nice indeed. Really keen to see your models on the table. They're going to look magic in play... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2017, 04:55:32 AM »
Outstanding work on the Dire Avengers.  The Exarch having a slightly different colour scheme is again reminiscent of the painting style of the Rogue Trader and second edition eras, and it works so well with the original Aspect models.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
Oh man just phenomenal work as usual Orange. Can't say enough how much I like your style. The Avenger Exarch is a thing of beauty... one of the all time great Eldar sculpts. Also the cool Lizard guy looks great. He'd make a great counts-as Sslyth if you ever wanted to add a little Dark Eldar flavor to your army... some Sslyth mercenaries would look great. Anyway great stuff man. Just love everything about this project.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Orange

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2017, 08:52:28 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Really enjoy coming here for all the positive feedback.

The exarch is such a great model. He’s probably the first model I got for this army, I came across him randomly before I settled on this army and just got him to paint.

But it turns out he’s the cornerstone of the army, style-wise! Even if it’s not the most powerful weapon fit out.

Avengers all done:

I only just realized after I finished that I pinched a modern colour scheme, but I like how it fits into the Iyanden look without being too yellow.

The wraithlord is on my table and is about half done, so not too far away from my first game.

Need to figure out what comes next! I should get to writing 1500 and 2000 point lists so I can plan the next few units, and I’m going to need to buy some more wraithguard at some point.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »
G'day, Orange!
They look so nice, mate. I still have five of those models as well. You've done them justice, Orange. Very impressive... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
Again just beautiful stuff Orange. Its amazing how awesome these sculpts look with a great paint job. I really dig the scheme and of course I love the gold catapults.

Ooh... so Wraithguard are up next? I gotta say go with the NEW ones. I think they'd blend in perfect with these guys and they'd look really big and imposing as well.

Can't wait to see where this goes. Keep it up man!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
Incredible.  The paint work is so precise and the colour scheme is excellent.  Every time I read this thread it makes me smile, as it reminds me so much of my original Eldar armies.  You make the excellent original Aspect Warriors look amazing.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 04:34:50 AM »
Wowzers Orange! Those Guardians are really cool and have me hankering for the classic Guardians I threw away when I gave up the hobby a while back (EBay didn't exist back then  :-[). The work you've done is excellent. I love the rich yellows on the models.

As for the Dire Avengers...just incredible. I love how dark you've gone with them. They're a fantastic addition to the army.

I'm loving how this project is turning out!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Orange

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »
Cheers guys :)

Glad you like the gold catapults Cav, picked that as a choice for the whole army early on (because scorps had gold pistols!) but like how it turned out.

And definitely getting more of the new ones. The old ones have their charm, but the new ones just blow them out of the park.

I’m glad I’m bringing back some memories, the avengers were the first Eldar models I bought back in ‘93-‘94. The ones I painted back then were terrible so I’m glad to do them a bit more justice!

Onto the Wraithlord:

I didn’t think I liked this model, especially after the plastic one came out. But it grew on me when I got hold of one and started painting it, though I think it would benefit from a tabard/loin cloth to give it a little bit more bulk. I’ve got another one so I might try it one that.

And 1000 points done!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »
Oh, my orange!
They look Micky Mouse. Wasn't sure how the Wraithlord would turn out. However, you, again, have done it justice... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2017, 09:58:17 AM »
That's just absolutely lovely Orange! *holds both thumbs up* I saw many super-complicated and super-elaborate paintjobs that were still not even half as pleasing to look at as your miniatures are.

Your army seems to be progressing at excellent pace, especially considering the quality and neatness of  your paintjob. Keep it up! ;) I wish I could do it as quickly, lol
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »
Absolutley glorious. The Wraithguard look right at home with this force. Such a gorgeous looking army Orange and should be strong in games as well. I've been giving Wraithlords a second thought lately as backline defense against deepstrikers and outflankers too. So he should do nicely.

Gotta say after seeing your army and Vonny's I'm pretty sure Iyanden is the nicest looking CW of them all. Its really become my favorite... especially with great characters like Y'riel and Iyanna leading the way.

Just gorgeous, gorgeous work my friend. Overall might be my favorite force I've seen come to life on the project logs. Just love it!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
Keep going like this and you might sell me on the older sculpts ;) I'm already warming to 'Mr Buzz-cut Mohawk Guardian'...

Wonderful work :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2018, 07:17:34 AM »
I'm not a fan at all of the old Wraithlord. I just think that the new model is a damn sight more impressive.

That said, your paint work is terrific and you've managed to produce one of the best old Lords that I've seen. He really fits in well with the whole army and I think that you've done a fantastic job with him.

The whole army looks amazing. I'd guaranteed lose to this army as I would spend most of the game forgetting rules while I try to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Amazing stuff Orange.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...