News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Grizzly's Xenos, Mechs and Pointy ears !  (Read 30164 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: The grizzly's Eldar, Arvandor Craftworld,
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »
It's hard to describe how you know when the paint is thinned enough.  I took some pictures to see if it helps describe what I am talking about.

After getting the paint on the pallet, I tend to have it bunch in a little blob like the red on the right (ignore the stuff on the left).

Two drops of water from a paintbrush later, and the paint is more fluid.  You can see that there is less surface tension.  A way to tell if it is enough is if you run your brush through the paint and it forms a little channel behind, it is probably still a bit too thick.  Also, if you get some paint on your brush and lift up, it should not form a little peak where the tip of the brush was.

Like I said, hard to describe.  The best thing is to play around and get a feel for it.  Like I said, a few drops of water can make the difference, but it all depends on how much paint you have transferred.

On an unrelated note, a reason I recommend the wet palette with the sponge (or any other way you can think to do it, which I am curious to hear), is shown in those pictures with the red that is on the left side.  I mixed that for my bikes and then had to grab a bite to eat.  I left the paint sitting there for about an hour and it hasn't dried out.  Hell, if I wanted to I could use it right now to keep painting.

As for the grey, you can add white to the black, though a light grey shade would be better as you still get the tone.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:27:48 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #41 on: June 1, 2015, 04:55:29 AM »
ooh, old school wraithlord. Looks nice!

I also like your dark reaper idea. It sounds ominous, and just like that little bit of extra detail that can make you attached to a unit.

Also: Don't be mean to tyranids. They're awfully nice cuddly creatures, and all you should do is pet them. And if they bite your arm off, just use your other hand to pet them...
No I don't see how this has anything to do with me having over 3k points of tyranids painted up...

check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #42 on: June 4, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
Ty for the kind words, and thank for the tips :D

I'm getting in now just a small update.

I had my first victory with eldar ! I mean the first victory where i was alone ! Not back up by anyone wich is super cool !

I played a footdar list vs some imperial Guard. It was 500 points game. I ahd a pretty nice and pretty good opponents, i shall give you a full battle report soon.

Ok onto the main subject. What i wanted to bring was a sneak pic at first guardian squad fully painted, things are getting in nicely, nothings is finished (expect for the 2 in the back that you've already seen once ;)) but I wanted to share it with you.

I will come back in the next update with the squad finished and the battle report :D I also have a top secret project to bring you when it's ready. See you soon !
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #43 on: June 4, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »
You color scheme is reall interesting, it's like your entire craftworld wants to be a fire dragon! Not the worst aspiration to have really. The guardians are coming along nicely, I'm just starting a squad myself. I think some thin line highlights of evil suns on the red and some thin line highlights on the orange of yriel yellow will really bring out the color and depth in a nice way. If you feel like putting in the work you could do:
base(you've done that already) > dark wash in recesses > clean up with base color leaving wash in recesses > line highlight.

looking good keep up the good work and congrats on the win!

P.S. do you plan on doing the gems at all? If so what color? The grey gems that cavalier does would look good I think. So would a light blue gems

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #44 on: June 4, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
Thanks, things are getting more and more intresting for me as i'm seing my army getting closer to completion (Even when this wil be finished, I will not have painted a quarter of it).

Humm for the gems i'm thinking about yellow or clear blue, but i have yet to figures that out. It should be changing from one guy to the other, to give them more individual personality, but i'm not too sure about that yet. You are right about the grey I did not though about it but that could indeed be good (Cavalier...  may i ask you for a tuto for your gems ;)). I need contrast with the color I already have that's something I'm sure of. For now the problem is the limit of paint i have at my disposition, will need to by some other at some point (wich should be soon).

I intend to put the amount of time nessecary to make them look good. I need to test out a few wash (need to buy them in order to do that >< ). and a few way to do higlight aswell.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #45 on: June 5, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
I'd do the gems blue. They're a nice contrasting color to the orange and red you have so far, and would really pop out because of that. If you want to paint them up but not draw attention, you could do them yellow too.
Every bit of progress on a painted army is another little bit. I remember back when I had no fully painted army yet, it was murder getting to that point. But soooo satisfying when you can finally play games with your fully painted army. So just keep at it, you'er doing great!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #46 on: June 6, 2015, 07:36:50 AM »
Way to go Grizz. Your army is really coming along! Show us some pics of your standard list when you get a chance so we can see how much you've got finished. Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 04:41:45 PM »
OK guy's i got some great new for today :D  I finally put the time to finish my falcon like defenetly i mean may be some retouch right and left at some point when i feel like it but now its fully painted and ready to kick some ass ! So here you go ^^

Sry for the ... kinda bad quality of pictures :D  but there you go.

I'm writing up the battle report about the IG vs Eldar game I did, sooo that should be up shortly.  Let me tell you i won with a 135 point deficit or so ...  he played waaaayyyy over the limit >< and i still won. God bless maelstrom and... and you shall see eveything soon ;) teasing teasing ><

@Vonny : There you go blue Gem ^^  i think it work really well they stand out a lot but not too much either. I used a bit of a weird technique for those. Let me explain the step by step while i'm at it :D

1.Paint the gem black nothing particular here
2.Paint the Lower part of the Gem with skink blue (yes it's a dry paint :D )
2.5. If the gem is big, wash with drakenhof nightshade, and repeat step 2 in a smaller area over the wash. If small gem continu to step 3.
3. Apply a small white dot on the upper part of the gem.
4. enjoy your work ><

The coolest things with this technique is that i's pretty damn fast (did all the tank gem in about 1hour and when i say all it's really ALL the gem), and can probably be extended to any color as long as you have a good wash and a nice dry paint to go along. I'm thinking about refining the process later on will keep you updated of my various try :)

@Cavalier : Your request have been recieved i will be sure to do that ... once I finished my guardian squad ;) Wich is likely to be this week :)

@Everyone : Stay tuned for more update :D

Ps : Yes i totally copied Cavalier way of posting ;) Is there a copyright on the method ?  :P

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2015, 03:00:25 AM »
I love the suability of colors, makes for a really nice effect. Keep it up.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »
That came out super Nice grizz. Ultra smooth and real unique color balance. The gems look boss too- I really like it!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2015, 02:16:42 PM »
wow looks real nice!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2015, 06:18:39 PM »
yay, blue gems! To be fair though, I do think they look really nice, I think you did a good job on it!

it looks ace!

I'm also quite interested in your battle report, so I'll look forward to that!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »
Hey guy's! Today it's battle report time :)

@Ty vonny I appreciate the words. Well for the battle report there you go ;)

@Rx8speed ty man i appreciate the drop by :D

@Dread glad you like it ^^ and thank you too for the words^^

@Cavalier : man to me it's hoght praise coming out of you because color balance wise your army is top notch i think. I hope it's unique, that's the point of designing you own color theme ;)

Ok so let's get to business.
First a few disclaimer: quite a few mistake were made but well that's part of the game. The guy I was playing was new to imperial guard sooooo he did quite few stupid things in my opinion and played quite a huge amount of things not correctly and by this i mean regarding his codex rules. I did my share of mistake aswell. Please excuse the beginner doing stupid things.

Ok so for the game we had set the point limit to 500 pts we both made mistake regarding the point cost ><.
This was happening 3 weeks ago around the time we qtarted the list building competition, so, inspired by the theme i went with a footdar list. Btw i was expecting to play vs marines so that might explain some of my choice.

My list was :

1 farseer singing spear*.

Troop were two 10 man gguardian defender squad, i have no other troop yet so i'm bound to use them as troop choice until I get something else.

For fast attack, I had a 6 man hawk squad with an exarch among them, naked. I wanted the precise deep strike things i tend to scatter way too far with them everytime ><

And for heavy support I had one 3man squad of dark reaper all with starshot.

The total was 505pts with the spear*.

* - I didn't paid for it but durring the game i used it, spure of the moment because the model had it, so that's why it's in there.
My farseer had guide fortune executioner and mind war if i recall correctly

My opponents  went for some real different scale of over points situation. I think it was not intentional but well that still the case. His list was :

1 infantry platoon with
---1 platoon commander in a 5 man guard squad (warlord)
   5 unit of 6 guardsmen 3 of them with sergent in.

That's one first mistake but so far only the squad size are no good.

He then had two leman russ.

One executioner with lascanon and plasma turret.
One punisher with lascanon.

He played the lascanon as a pulse lazer two str8 ap2 shot that was one of the mistake he did.

That was his list the point cost for this without counting the various upgrades in the guards squad i can't remember, was 630 pts. That mean i started the game with 125 point deficit... yep that was gonna be hard. We rolled for game and ended up with mission 4 of maelström, can't remember what  it his, we deployed on the short end of the table since it was  24/48inch table. I won the roll for deployment but decided to let him start. I wanted  to try to play reacting to his positioning rather than the opposite.

Here is the deployment or rather the beginning of his movement turn. Didn't managed to steel back the initiative.
He had everything on table tables and i had my hawk in reserve, i wanted to sky leap them at first but with the absence of good cover or line of sight blocking terrain i prefered to keep them in reserve.

only his tank moved forward at this point.

Ig turn one.
He move his tank and all his army expect for a squad that was sitting in the tower, coming closer to me. In my opinion he never should have advanced with the tank. If you have leman russ you don't move you just shoot. Well that was good for me because that was limiting his fire power. He could only fire with his main weapon and the executioner fired toward my left guardian and the other one fired toward the right guardian. He did nearly no damage on the left thanks to terrain but killed quite a few on the right (only 3 left) they passed moral he got 3 points from various objective cards. All his guard squad except the one in the tower runs towards me.

Eldar turn 1.

For my turn one the objective was get into cover ! And try to kill something ! My left guardian squad enter the batiments court yard wich we decided to count as ruins for the game, and the right squad reposition around the objective and piece of terrain they were hiding behind. The farseer who had joined the reaper cast guide onto the guardian in front of them and fortune on the reaper unit. At this point i was thinking that my reaper were gonna be the enemy focus. I run the guardian further in the ruins and unleash my full wrath at his guard that were just in range. That brought down the unit i was aiming at !  first blood for the eldar. I had no douable card this turn i think or one that was giving me a point for an objective. this made everything a 3 to 1.

IG turn 2 :

He once again move his tank close to me, trying to bear all there fire power in my face. but he should have stayed were he was i think. He shuffle his guard squad a bit but nothing out standing. For the shooting phase, concidering the right guardian squad of no threat he ignored them, only shooting with one guard squad who had nothing else to do. But that did not work, ty cover save. the other guardian squad was not so lucky. Few of them were killed they failed moral and ran of the table. Nothing more to be noticed, he score a few points making it to 5

middle of his movement phase.

Eldar turn 2

Card draw were outstanding. I had one card saying kill the warlord in the eldar type, ofering me D3 victory point if i achieved that. Hawks comes out from reserve thank to the exarch they don't scatter and land in the back field. behind him, negating the cover save he would have gotten from the scattered aegis line we used as terrain.  The farseer and the reaper move in the courtyard casting fortune and guide on themselves. During the movement phase i drop the blast of the hawk onto his commander squad not scatterring and killing all the unit in one swift strike :D  Roll for victory points, 3 ! + the Warlord i Just tied the score! I use the fact that the previous unit i fired at during the movement phase was destroy to fire at another guard squad negaiting it to only one guy, it passed moral. I use my run move to hide behing the tower to avoid the retaliation fire from the tank. The reaper fire at one more guard squad that does not pass moral and flee of the table. He just lost 3 guard squad (nearly) that does not look too good for him. but he still got the 2 russ.

end of turn 2

IG turn 3.

He understood the reaper /farseer where goig to pose him trouble so he fire all the tank wepaon at them without moving. that should have hurted but the executioner blow up 2 of his plasma canon inflinting himself 2 hull point and not firing both weapon, the cover save from the ruins prevented me from losing all my reaper squad.
The other tank firing bring the reaper number to only one and my farseer survive it. He goes down from the tower with his squad and charge my hawk. He did good there because if he did not he would have had his full army wiped by the hawks, insted they will be locked in combat for 2 turn. He had the lone guard join in aswell.

Eldar Turn 3

That's where the fun begin for me. I thought to myself hawk won't do anything for a while so better man up and go for an offensive play ! I take the farseer and last reaper out of the ruins, and move them to get side view of the already hurted russ, if i don't blow him up he will blow me up, was what i was thinking. I tryed to cast fortune but got it denied and failed to get guide of >< that's when i though to myself...  amphetamine parrot amphetamine parrot amphetamine parrot >< and i was right. The reaper fail his shot, and aif it was not for the spear i had not payed for i would not have been able to wreck that russ. Combat continu, with the hawk, no progress still locked in there.

huuu just saying this here the hwk in the back of the picture are dead one, did not noticed they were there before i took the pic ^^.

IG turn 4

That's where things get really tense for me. He moves his last tank to get view of my reaper and farseer (kill them both in the shooting phase) but the price for this kill was that he immobilised himself in the process, combat continu behind the tower, and he does nothing with his last squad.

Eldar turn 4

Well the hawk finally kill there opponent or make them run so to say ( they passed 3 of those or four yeah they were imperial guard i still don't know how they did it ><...),  I use the consolidation move to get behind the tower. To garantee the survivable of the guardian i move them in the terrain the things that comes from a blowed up missile i can't recall the english name sry. My idea was get in the range of the objectives, because i needed it for one card. At this point, we are tied 8 to 8  in point the next turn was gonna be rought !

the hawk not standing on the righ is dead i forgot to take him out as causality ><

IG turn 5 :
Well with nothing more to do he fired every things to my guardians, well that did not killed them, I went to ground and got my 2+ save from the terrain... and i passed like 12 or so of those for only  2  miss ! Wich make one sole guardian standing there or on the ground to be precise >< he passed moral

Eldar Turn 5 : 
That's when you notice that since last turn you have been holding objective 4 when that was your card all along...  and you draw one that say point if a unit is fully destroyed in shooting. You take your hawk and you send them after the lone guardian squad and fire everyhting you can at them. That kill them oyu get on victory point you leave the tank, there is nothing you can do to it you are too far anyways. And then you take that objective 4 points and that gives You the win.

Last turn board :D  alive : 1 guardians, 3 hawk (1being the exarch) and one punisher.

My opponent rolled to see if we were going to turn 6 but he rolled a 2 ending everything on the score of 10 / 8  for the eldar :D  I came home with the victory, I had great fun and my opponents too  so that was overall a great match. 

Unit of the game? the Hawks that's for sure just with the drop in turn 2 they maid it worth, it's possible you will see plenty of hawks, even more since It's possible I'm going to play tyranid soon with a friend of mine that should be joining or have just joined the forum :D  we will be sure to bring you intresintg games when we got time for this and if we can set up a nice match. It hink you guy's will  love the visual of it since is army is pretty cool looking, color wise, but that's all for tonight I shall not reveal more he will do it himself ^^

Special mention to the farseer reaper combo... so deadly and survivable. (with fortune)

Guardian were really really not good, I seriously need to find a pair of new troops to include in my army, because guardian are no good if you don't battle host them or serpent them. since i don't have serpent yet, and not walker/vaulth support battery yet either...

Well hope you enjoyed

See you guy's soon with my guardian unit (there are only to left and i'm done with the first squad of them).

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »
Hey guy's small update since the last time :) there you have my guardian squad finished :D I don't know yet what will be next, either some more guy's on foot like hawk or spyder maybe, or my farseer... I have yet to deside what i'm doing next.

please enjoy :D

Will provide you with complete army pick soon not at home so I can't do it just yet ><

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
There ya go Grizz. Looking good, I really like the color balance. Are you just trying to get these guys tabletop standard? Cause it looks like you could run a wash over their legs and highlight there, but it may just be the photo. Either way they look good. Keep it up!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2015, 03:54:44 PM »
@Cavalier thank for dropping by and leaving this kind words. so about that wash, you don't see it very much because the pictures pretty bad but, I did various wash test so there is wash in there it's more vible on some than the other but i did it for all of them. The last were done in fuegan orange, it gives a nice color just a bit darker than the orange of the guy. So it's really a stealthy one if I may say.

I don't especially aim for tabletop standard for the army but guardian is one of the unit I concider stopping using once the full army is painted. That's why i invest a bit less time in those and to tell you the truth i was getting quite fed up with those guy's seeing how i was not making fast enought progress to my liking. That's why I haven't done any highlight on those guy's as well. So the idea is to paint as many things as possible for some time and then come back to the things is skipped on to make for some better quality, I don't intend to keep this level of quality for the aspect warrior just on the guardians for the time being.

Here is some fully paintedness while i'm at it.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:22:58 PM by Grizzlykin »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 03:50:28 AM »
I really like your color choices, it balances out really well I think. I also really like those eyes on the guardians, they pop!

And I think it's a good idea to paint an army ready for tabletop, and then going back over to improve their looks little by little. It gives you a playable army fast and then an even better painted one over time!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
Thanks vonny and i agree with you the yellow eyes really look beast! I kinda tried it at random and it was like... mother of god this is soooooo good!

Ok enough with sending myself flowers, let's get to business small input for today. Before i bring you a full army pick I want to finish these two guys so that you know where I'm heading with 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:47:53 PM by Grizzlykin »

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #58 on: July 6, 2015, 07:57:57 AM »
Hello guy's coming in hot with some update and question. There was not much I did rescently so it's really all WIP, but I seek some help.

First here have my just started Razorwing, count as crimson hunter.

That's really a begining there is plenty to do but i just wanted to show it.

Here, have some of my spyder and farseer. I haven't done much on them, was lacking paint for the farseer and the spyder is a problem right know.

So, As I was saying, I have a problem with the spyder.  I'm totally not happy with it. I mean I can't find a color to do them as. I would normally have painted themp with red but with the red weapon it will be too much so right now, I'm in a position where I don't know where to go and it's been a week. I can't find anithing that I really like so it's frustrating... Do you guy's have an idea for this?
« Last Edit: July 6, 2015, 08:00:26 AM by Grizzlykin »

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #59 on: July 6, 2015, 09:14:12 AM »
I respect any painter that makes bold color choices and you're improving quite a bit.  The Falcon is my favorite of your work so far.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.