News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ivalyo VII "Outside of Game" Thread - Temporarily on Hold  (Read 30139 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Sign Up Thread for Civil War on Ivalyo VII RPG - No books required!
« Reply #40 on: October 8, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »
Well, I'm going to assume that no news is good news.

The first of the pre-game posts will be on Friday, and I'm hoping to update on Tuesdays and Fridays. Hopefully that doesn't interfere with Koval's Thursday night RPG'ing. ;) While not required by any means, if you feel like putting some flavour posts up, to describe what your characters do in their down time while they wait to be dropped into a warzone, that is encouraged. We'll have a couple of those posts, we'll land, have a couple of posts, and then we'll pick up where the teaser begins.

Once we get into the game "proper", I'm wondering how people would like to handle the resolution of their intended actions? For example...

"Acer's group intends to move into the ruins to the north, and open fire on the Orks standing beside the sludge pit." Might be what a player posts as his intended action. I roll the dice here in my chair, come up with results, and now have 2 options as DM.

First, I could try to evocatively describe the results of your actions, from abysmal failures to divine successes. "The advance members notice multitudes of trip wires, slowing your unit to a crawl, preventing their entry to the building and thus gaining LOS [Rolled snake-eyes for distance]"

OR! I could PM the "mechanical" results of everyone's actions to them, and they can describe how their units are held up by traps... or bravely laying waste to the Orkish hordes with 15 wounds spread amongst them.

I think it would be more fun for everyone to be able to describe the actions of their own units, but I think that might also slow things down a little bit. This method has the benefit of my not having to narrate an entire battle, pushing some of the responsibility for the story onto the players, which should hopefully help to maintain interest. I know campaigns can be a long haul.

It's heroic action, so players could feel free to make their descriptions as gritty, humorous, John Woo, plain, evocative, exact, brief or any other ad...jectiveliness? as they'd like. Yeah I just made up a word. It's my world, live with it! :P

Speak now, or forever hold your pistol. Also, any other concerns or questions? Now would be the right time.

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
« Reply #41 on: October 8, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
PM then flavourful sounds fun to me

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #42 on: October 9, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »
The first of the pre-game posts will be on Friday, and I'm hoping to update on Tuesdays and Fridays. Hopefully that doesn't interfere with Koval's Thursday night RPG'ing. ;)
Nor does it interfere with my Monday night RPG'ing :P

While not required by any means, if you feel like putting some flavour posts up, to describe what your characters do in their down time while they wait to be dropped into a warzone, that is encouraged.
I presume this is for after Friday, seeing as the game thread is currently locked.

Once we get into the game "proper", I'm wondering how people would like to handle the resolution of their intended actions?
You PM us, we write. Unless I'm misinterpreting how that's going to work... you still have control over what happens, but we have control over how it happens. Which is no bad thing.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2013, 01:54:21 AM by Koval, Master Verispex »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #43 on: October 9, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
You got'er, Toyota. Hopefully that translates in British.

And yes, the thread will be open sometime Friday.

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #44 on: October 9, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
I'm going to also agree with you PMing us what our characters encountered and then we'll work that into our contributions.  It will make things look much better on the forum and easier to read!

So we can start writing our first post as what our characters are doing in their free time on the ship and then we can post it on friday?  Do I have that right?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #45 on: October 9, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »
Yup, I'll have the game thread open on Friday, and you can feel free to post what your characters are up to.

We'll be just dropping out of warp... or whatever the term should be... near Ivalyo VII.

We've been traveling for awhile, maybe a few weeks aboard ship since our last pickup of fresh bodies. :)

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
« Reply #46 on: October 9, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »
And we're likely to be travelling for a little while longer before getting planetside, I think (a few days, maybe one or one and a half weeks). Dropping out of Warpspace on top of a planet is very uncommon.

But yeah, looking forward to Friday.

Halo -- what kind of wacky hijinks are our anti-authoritarian double act going to get up to, I wonder? :P
« Last Edit: October 9, 2013, 02:18:57 PM by Koval, Master Verispex »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #47 on: October 9, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
Following several incidences of graffiti upon the Commissar's personal Chimera, spray paint is now considered suplius prohibidabidibo, and possession is punishable by summary execution. The Mouth has spoken!

By the by, I think it would make tracking units easier if each one had a flag of some kind to identify it. Flags will probably be about 1" square, so if you have something you'd really like to use to ID your unit, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, I'll find something that amuses me, and that will be your flag. ;)
« Last Edit: October 9, 2013, 06:48:31 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 03:18:21 AM »
Hey guys, I'm really sorry to say but I think I'm going to have to drop out. I have been having some serious issues with my service provider, and until I work things out I'm going to be without internet. I'm currently posting this from a friends computer. It could be a week until I'm back, could be 3 or 4. Maybe I can jump in at a later date but until then, this is adios. Sorry again.  :(
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

• Ancient
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 03:32:17 AM »
Sorry to hear that, man. Hope those issues get fixed sooner rather than later.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 06:49:53 AM »
No worries Skoops. Get yourself sorted out and you can jump back in any time.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 09:18:08 AM »
@Skoops

No worries, heck, if this is still going on then, you can be some of the reinforcements the army gets at a later date!  We can totally work that in.

@GBT

I think the easiest and most representative flag for Cassie would be that of a nuclear explosion.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »
You've got to find it and send it to me, otherwise you get a Rocket Girl picture. :)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Civil War on Ivalyo VII "Outside of Game" Thread
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
Hi Guys, I've changed this to an "outside of game" thread.

What I'm trying to do in the game thread right now, is get everyone warmed up and let me get to know how you guys will interact, and write, and generally "do" in the game, without dice rolls and PM's getting in the way.

It's been a good long time since I've DM'd a game, and I want to get a feel for what everyone wants to get out of this game, so I can try to provide that. I also still need a little bit of time to finish the "markers" for our game.

To which...

To our Vehicular members, do you have a preferred pair of colours for your vehicles? I've made some rather crude 1/3 scale tokens out of foam, and I think I'll paint them a couple of colours to make them stand out.

To Hal, I've got most of the colours of the rainbow when it comes to infantry pins. I've even got pink! I'll be using one for Cassie, 3 for the GL infantry, and 6 more for the Lasgunners... I couldn't remember if you had another heavy in your squad? If you have colours you'd like me to use, feel free to let me know!

• Ancient
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2013, 02:23:08 AM »
Black and orange, or black and red, for Madigan's Devil Dog (even though Madigan herself is more likely to be wearing various muted greyish blues).

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »
Black and grey is the colours I would like.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »
Pink for Cassie, Red for Grenaders, and yellow for the other dudes! :)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »
@ Koval: Any preference between Red or Orange? Which would you prefer to be dominant between Black and Red/Orange?

@Ranger: Done and done. Would you rather Grey or Black to be dominant?

@Halollet: I had Pink for Cassie, Yellow for the Duders, and green... now sub'd out for red for the GL's. I was close!

• Ancient
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »
Black dominant... and I'm going to say orange secondary.

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »
Grey dominant black secondary
  8)