News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sautekh Dynasty reclaims the Stars  (Read 2736 times)

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
Sautekh Dynasty reclaims the Stars
« on: January 4, 2013, 08:12:11 AM »
I have decided it is time to roll my sleeves up and get the Necrons painted. The point of these Necrons is to serve as a study in OSL. This has made this guy pretty annoying to work on lol however, he is getting there but I think I shall use the airbrush to fix a few things most notably the headress area.

Let me know what you think and how this could be improved. Bear in mind that this still needs weathering.. pigments etc etc.

The troops will be a lot simpler so I shall work on the Royal Court first (all 2 of them) to get the formula down.

- Martok
Checkout the blog I contribute to here bloody-dice.blogspot.com

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
Re: Sautekh Dynasty reclaims the Stars
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »
I have finally pulled my finger out and started stomping through some painting for the Necrons.

First off.. apologies for the photos they are not my best work lol. I shall look at getting some better quality shots when the basing/pigments have been applied:

Some OSL work has been done but I shall be going back and doing the Gauss glow for the whole army in one go with the airbrush.

- Martok

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »
i love the use of orange as the accent/secondary colour for the glow effect.  Its a great colour choice and one ive never seen used with Necrons before which is surprising judging by how good it looks as a colour scheme particularly on the simpler models like the immortals.

Not sure about the lords cloak, personally I think it might be a bit too much with the orange for my tastes...a darker colour would be nice just to take the cloak into the background bring the body of the model forwards and emphasise the orange glow a bit better.

Nice though

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:57:39 AM »
Thanks! I shall have to have a ponder. You are not the first to comment on the cloak however i am at a loss as to what colour to change to... silver would get lost add, another colour the model would become really busy. Perhaps a true "gold" might be better as the bronze base is giving it that orangey finish..

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:20:17 AM »
Now my Necron army is finally finished and ready for upcoming tournaments I have been able to get the camera out and get some half decent photos. In this post I shall be showing off the Necron Destroyer Lord converted with parts from the Necron Wraith kit.

This army was an experiment in OSL as I tried to work out how to get the best effects with both airbrush and regular brush work. I learnt a great deal from this process and some of it worked some did not, however, I shall be able to improve on this next time I try something similar.

The actual conversion used parts from the Destroyer, Lych Guard and Wraith kits. As he will be leading a Wraith unit I felt he would look much better themed to fit in with them,

The crystal on the base comes from Gale Force 9 and I shall be using these on a display board that I really need to get done.

I shall be going back and adding pigments to the bases/models at some point but right now this Wraith Destroyer Lord is ready for varnish.

Just in case anyone has an issue with the dimensions of the Wraith Destroyer Lord conversion I have built a more traditional Destroyer Lord which I could use instead.

Keep an eye out for more of my Necron Army.

- Martok

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 03:12:20 AM »
I agree, that orange is an awesome choice for an accent, giving a very strong feature to draw the attention in, and the OSL is done well enough that you actually WANT people to look closely.

I would say that a more true-gold would probably serve the cloak better than the orange-bronze. Maybe give it a non-brown wash to make it seem a little other-worldly as well. Green would tie it in more with the staff.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.