News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sleeping Gods I: Return to Encaris V (Game Thread)  (Read 8467 times)

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
Re: Sleeping Gods I: Return to Encaris V (Game Thread)
« Reply #40 on: July 4, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »
Hyrulen had already left to go to the hangar, but he still heard, with his highly attuned ears, that they would be facing necrons. When he got to the hangar he stood staring at the Vampire Raider as the memory of that fateful day came back.

Hyrulen was never able to win the approval of his father. However, his younger brother had always admired his Striking Scorpion older brother. As soon as Hyrulen`s younger brother was old enough--Hyrulen had become exarch by this point--he became a Striking Scorpion under the teaching of his older brother. During one particular battle, the details of which were lost among all of the others he had fought, he and his squad were hiding in the underbrush of a small forest. Hyrulen and his squad were poised to ambush a squad of Necron Immortals when Hyrulen felt slight vibrations in his fingertips. None of the other Scorpions felt it, but none of them had taken the Path of Awakening like Hyrulen had. The vibrations grew in intensity. Suddenly, Hyrulen realised what was happening. Hyrulen spun and yelled "Move!", but it was too late. Hyrulen had moved just in time and spun around and watched in horror as a Necron Flayed One burst from the ground and impaled his younger brother on its bladed fingers. Hyrulen sprung forward with his Biting Blade and severed the Flayed One`s arms and head. He then knelt down, pulled the Flayed One`s arm from his brother`s chest, and removed his helmet just in time to watch the life leave from his brother`s eyes. Hyrulen gently removed the spirit stone from his brother`s armor and became filled with rage. Hyrulen grabbed his Biting Blade and charged into the Necron army, sparks flying as his Biting Blade ground threw the Necrons`metal bodies. He slew every necron he saw until he was hit in the left shoulder and right leg by the Necrons` gauss flayers. The last thing he remembered was his squad dragging him off the battlefield.

Hyrulen stood motionless staring at the Vampire Raider.
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #41 on: July 5, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
As the group entered the hangar, Uriel abandoned them as he strode quickly across the deck.  Sitting crouched next to their transport was Salensral.  The War Walker was dark; only a faint glow came from its soulstone.  The red light shone on the blue and black armor, making the whole of the machine seem to be black even under the hangar's lights.

As Uriel approached, the machine seemed to come alive somehow.  It remained in a half-active state until Uriel raised a hand, for the gifts from Vaul were now floating under the power of his song, and stroked the machine's leg.  As he did so, the soulstone blazed to life and the console lights flicked on.

"Sing to me, Salensral," Uriel said to the machine.  The aura which enveloped the gifts spread to Salensral.  The tools were arranged in their proper places, the gun mounts having been left empty on the journey.  Uriel took out his full-sized instrument from the cockpit and played a complex tune, weaving the Ballad of Vaul into Salensral's song, making first introductions between the two even though the weapons had been taught Salensral's song before.

Amazingly, the shield and cannons seemed much more compliant now that they had met Salensral.  Uriel began to think that they needed to accept his partner as much as Salensral needed to accept them.  All too soon, the weapons and shield device were mounted on Salensral, who had taken over the finale of the song, personally binding the tools to himself.

Freed of his need to sing, Uriel gracefully vaulted into his seat, right above Salensral's stone.  The warm feeling of belonging spread through him.  He could hear Salensral's song playing strongly, commune with the long-dead spirit on a deeper level than words, or even a song could manage.  It was the lack of this feeling pervading his essence that had driven him to be so uncomposed as he had been at the ceremony.

"So," said Uriel from the cockpit as he took the measure of the new weapons, "shall we begin our mission.  Also, who shall be our leader on this mission?  Shall we assume it to be the Asuryan, or would another like to be the head?  If there are to be any tensions for cause of command, I would prefer we deal with them now."  Throughout, he kept his voice, demeanor, and face perfectly calm as a warrior should when out of battle.  In his mind, though, he knew that the outcasts among them would be at the heart of any issues.  Whether they would fight, or just be the catalyst he did not know.

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #42 on: July 6, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
"I propose Ythoelle take the lead. It is obvious that she knows the most about what awaits us. Not to mention that an outcast, such as herself, will not have so many loyalties clouding her judgement." Morion cared not about who was "the leader," but it was still quite obvious who should take that position.

But Morion was very interested in Salensral. Not only would the machine be invaluable if open combat became necessary, but it was also a beautiful work of art. "Uriel, if you don't mind. Will you tell me of Salensral?"

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #43 on: July 6, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »
"Morion, I allow myself few pleasures in life outside of combat, and dwelling on Salensral is chief among them."  Uriel patted the side of the machine affectionately as he continued.  "Salensral's body goes back nearly seven thousand years, so far as the records on Ath-Ron can say.  It was initially crafted by Lenshral, lost on the Path of the Singer, and has been modified significantly by every pilot since, as well as being maintained by the Singers.

"Here," Uriel gestured to a complex pattern of crossing lines rimming the cockpit, "you can see the machine's kill count.  The different colors represent the pilots who scored them.  Some marks are multicolored, such as these.  The main color is that of the pilot, but the outline represents the soul who served with them.  The ones on the outer rim are mine and Salensrals, while those from Salensral's days are here," Uriel pointed out a place about two thirds of the way from the center of the pattern.

"Salensral was awakened when I stepped down the Path of the War Walker because I was to be placed in battle with little training.  It was only a small skirmish with some petulant Mon-Keigh, but it still required me to be alone behind enemy lines for the first time in my life.  The two of us bonded well on that mission, and Salensral refused to leave the machine upon our return.  Since then, we have spent most every day training or improving Salensral's body.

"Salensral himself was quite amazing.  You can see he made nearly two full rings during his five centuries as a pilot.  He was lost on the Path almost as soon as he stepped foot on it, though he always did delight in the heat of a firefight more than I."

The machine shifted slightly as the aura surrounding it flickered and a humming escaped from its workings, though they should usually be perfectly silent.  Uriel hummed to Salensral who responded with more movements and noises.  After a minute of this, Uriel snapped back to the conversation he had been having with Morion.

"I apologize, Salensral was just telling me how much he appreciates Vaul's gifts," the machine gave a light buck, "and telling me that I need to more bold when I fight.  I've always been more a fan of the shadows myself, no need to get shot up if I don't have to.  I suppose that's a bit less of an issue now that we have that gift from Vaul, but I'd still rather not push our luck."

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: July 7, 2012, 01:39:45 AM »
"If you feel the need to follow someone, then I suppose I shall lead," Ythoelle shrugged. "But after two centuries I doubt the way will be as I remember it."

Offline Foalchu

« Reply #45 on: July 7, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
The rear access ramp of the Raider opened, more rapidly than one might expect, but still quite fluidly and gracefully.  From within the vessel, a helmed, vac-suited figure descended, his faceplate looking for all the world like the wickedly curved beak of an Eagle, frozen in the midst of a triumphant shriek.

The eldar looked at them and beckoned, speaking in their minds.

<There is little time, the ship has discovered what makes it uneasy.  Our Dark Kin have been stalking us through the graveyard of the Monkeigh fleet.  Even now my squadrons are being roused to defend their roost.>

The tone of the eldar's address was a little petulant, as if he would much rather be at the fore of his disciples than piloting a slow, ungainly craft down through the melee to the planet.

As he ushered them aboard, he spoke verbally. 

"You may wish to fasten your restraints; I may wish to hunt on our journey."

With this, the exarch left them to the passenger compartment, mostly filled by a small aircraft and restraints for Salensral, with the little extra space taken up by grav-couches whose restraints seemed to beckon to them.

Before they had even taken their seats, they felt the Raider lift from the deck of the bay, and begin to coast forward.  Over the ships communication system, the exarch calmly informed them that launch was imminent.

{OOC}  I have to go to a family reunion now, but the rest of the update will be up by tomorrow around noon. {/OOC}
"Some call the Eldar decadent.  If that is true, the Imperial Army could do with some of that decadence."
"We warned you of the price of your actions, now you must pay it in full - in blood."
*cringe-worthy teen sig section removed*

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 11:56:53 PM »
 :(Hyrulen was pulled back into reality by the exarch`s words and quickly boarded the waiting vessel. He moved towards the closest seat he could find, removed his Biting Blade so he could sit down, and strapped himself in. Hyrulen looked at the large chainsword resting on his lap. He would complete the mission and get his revenge on those foul Necrons all in one trip.
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline Foalchu

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 01:12:33 AM »
(OOC) sorry, unexpected computer repair interrupted me.  Will have the update complete tomorrow evening. (/OOC)
"Some call the Eldar decadent.  If that is true, the Imperial Army could do with some of that decadence."
"We warned you of the price of your actions, now you must pay it in full - in blood."
*cringe-worthy teen sig section removed*