News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldanesh is Fingolfin?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Poseidal

• Knight of Cheome
  • Armies: Eldar, Space Marines, Dark Eldar
Eldanesh is Fingolfin?
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »
I've always thought that the GW's elves and the Eldar were closer to Tolkein's elves than DnD and most popular fantasy depiction of elven races are, but I saw this posted on another board and it really did draw a parallel to me:

"...the best lone mortal warrior against who was at the time the source of evil, tries valiantly to fight him, does pretty well for fighting a god, but ultimately fails."

But also, like Fingolfin he founded the House of Eldanesh which ruled the Eldar in the Mortal Realm (like the house of Fingolfin ruling the Noldor in Middle Earth); he also may have been the strongest and most valiant of his brothers like Fingolfin.

Any more thoughts of this or any other parallels that are seen?

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
Re: Eldanesh is Fingolfin?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »
I completely agree. 

Look at the wood elves in WFB.  They live in a forest realm called athel loren.  Now it's not hard to see where the inspiration for that came from (lothlorien perhaps?).  Further, the wood elves are led by a female leader, Ariel.  Again, the elves of lothlorien have the Lady in the Wood.

But this is hardly surprising.  Lord of the Rings is effectively the grandfather of modern fantasy.  D&D, though I know little about it, was heavily influenced by LOTR.  Robert Jordan also stated that the Eye of the World book in the Wheel of Time series was written to be alike to Frodo in the Shire.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:32:21 PM by malicant »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »
Meh. Fingolfin is one of many that was "the most valarous" of the elves. It means less and less. Eldanesh was a noble Eldar that fought (and lost) against the God of Murder, possibly even thinking that he could win. Fingolfin was not that silly.
I don't think it tracks well enough.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Seraph Tenacious

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »
I don't see it as an exact parallelism, but then again the whole idea of Eldar is ultimately ripped straight from Middle Earth. So in a big picture way, yes.