News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Suitable fire magnet?  (Read 828 times)

Offline -Φ Ulfhedinn Φ- Servant of the Lord of Dark Delights

• Juggernaught of Fornication
Suitable fire magnet?
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
Hey guys,

Just thinking aloud here but i was thinking of throwing in the new forgeworld avatar ( larger screening model ) with a squad of wraithguard marching up the battlefield with 2 wraithlords in tow. Something like this ( but more spread out to avoid template doom ):

A
     w w   w w
   w w F/S w w
  w  WL   WL  w
       XXXXX

A= Avatar
W= Wraithguard
F/S= Farseer + Warlock spiritseer for conceal
WL = Wraithlord
XXXX = Harlies/Scorpions/Banshees ( dependant on what army I'm fighting )

MEQ = Banshees/Harlies
Orks/Nids = Scorps/Harlies
IGEQ = Scorps/Harlies

Is this a decent spearhead idea?

The main thing is the Avatar is with the wraithguard ( do the rules allow you to target MC's adjoined to squads individually? ) to get the ability to not get shot to death on the approach and to gain the conceal+ fortune rolls of the wraithguard squad .

The WL's are in essentially partial cover alone due to the height and layout of the wraithguard models. WL's will be armed with EML, BL and 2x flamers for anti horde and to take out any vehicles out of the Avatar and wraithguard range ( perhaps taking another with a wraithblade, 2x flamers and no heavy weapon upgrades? ).

XXXX will be the counter assault unit to help the main unit not get bogged down in hordes.

Should I have Harlies  ( which may be running through the buildings flanking the main unit to provide cover and to avoid template weapons ) in the unit or to the side? If so, would it be best to throw in a cheap unit of Storm Guardians to counter attack and actually have the flexibility to have my aspect warriors elsewhere causing trouble?

Farseer with spirit stones will be there to fortune and doom each turn where applicable and be within 12'' of the WL at most times.

Other thoughts:

Would it be viable to have Eldrad in a serpent with a council, with 3 DA squads in serpents near him so he can pop out, cast Doom x2 on 2 units and let the DA's mow down what they need? The seer council will provide somewhat of a screen for the Da's if they don't manage to kill everything and a counter assault is imminent. ( i think you can LOS under the Wave Serpent bases if you use the tall stand )

This way they can't simply ignore the massive MC tag team thats advancing up the middle or the rest of the mobile serpent army. I believe they will more likely choose to go for the targets they can hit rather then trying to deal with flat out moving serpents.

I'd like some feedback on this idea if possible. Thoughts/comments/critique and suggestions are always welcomed !!

-Ulfhedinn-

"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
Re: Suitable fire magnet?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
The tactic would benefit hugely from having Eldrad as the lone Farseer, since he can pump out two fortunes per turn as well as another back up power.
This is important since both the Avatar and the wraithguard need to be fortuned to really act as effective bullet catchers.
Throwing a Doom on the target unit, or Mindwarring the powerfist that's threatening your wraithguard would then add a little more bite.

It would probably be pretty effective, but it probably won't win you many friends either.
And it's something of a one trick pony.

Dizzy

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »
If the Avatar joins the unit ( can he? ) isn't he covered by the fortuning? Sorry i'm pretty new to Eldar and MC's in general.

I agree it lacks flexibility, but perhaps thats for durability. I have -alot- of models i can call upon for games. I'm looking for somewhat of a marine-crusher army that i can take to the local GWS league.

Thanks for your feedback. Something to think over.  ;D

-Ulfhedinn-
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline Kaminari

• Don't need Farseers
  • Scouting...
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »
Unfortunately monstrous creatures might not join units anymore.
In would say: give your monster block a try, then you can experience the benefits and shortfalls of this combination. In theory it could work though it lacks mobility.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »
Nope.
Off the top of my head - the Avatar is a monstrous creature, so he can't join units. He can be joined by the farseer, but then the wraithguard get left out.
So one way or another you'll need those two fortunes, and since the Avatar is already taking up one HQ slot, the other one must be Eldrad.
So this has to be another variation on the Avatar/Eldrad tag team of doom.

Depending on the league, you'll find that this combo will get docked a lot of comp score because some players tend to find it cheesy. (i.e. competitive).
Although having said that, probably the only way not to get docked comp scores against these players is by losing, so play like you've got a pair and take what you like.

Dizzy

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Comp is not a part of the league. Its more of 3 teams, you fight against a player of the other team to earn point based on W-L-D for your team. You also don't have a fixed list. So you can pretty much another army list against say orks or nids if i fight them.

It seems alot of the marine armies are using Shrike with a unit of 10 tooled out terminators. I've done a few test rolls and pretty much with doom a unit of harlies will wipe out that squad in 1 charge without a great deal of trouble.

So thats a good 4-600 pts out of the way. I think that even if i don't get the optimal charge on them that the unit of nasty wraithguard and 3 MCs should clean them up well at range even.

I'd appreciate some builds or suggestions of marine crusher builds you know of  ;D

-Ulfhedinn-

edit: If i remember correctly - an army taking Shrike gains fleet and loses battle tactics? ie: can shoot them up and they can't fall back to avoid assault.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:35:45 AM by -Ulfhedinn- »

Offline Killing Time

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »
If he's taking fleeting termies then I can almost guarantee that they'll be packing 3++ storm shields, so you might want to re-think what will work against them.
Hint:
Quantity rather than quality.

Marine crusher builds are best explored by posting your whole collection, league points values, etc.
Then the resident tourney vets can get to work.

Dizzy

Offline Thalandir

• Adam's Myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »
Off the top of my head - the Avatar is a monstrous creature, so he can't join units. He can be joined by the farseer, but then the wraithguard get left out.

Pg 48 states that ICs can't join units that always consist of a single model, like Monstrous Creatures. So he can't join the Avatar (sucks, right, in 4th Edition I always used to place the Farseer with a Wraithlord, just to make opponents go WTFZOMG are you doing?)

Surrounded by your glory, what will my heart feel? Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing, 'Hallelujah'? Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine...

Offline SlaveOne

• He's no good to me dead
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »
If your not totally set on bringing the Avatar, here is an alternative.

Replace the Avatar with a single WL. Drop the back two WL and bring 2 Squaded WW. 3 if you can find the points. They can bring the dual Hvy Weapons and as a squad, be fortuned/guided more efficiently. This will allow a second Farseer as well. So with Eldrad and a second Farseer you can have both WG and WW fortune'd, a unit doomed and the WW guided.

I wouldn't bring Harlies since Blast template can easily be deviated on top of them. Scorps seem best for your strat. But you may want to consider Spiders. Jumping, shooting then jumping again behind the Eldar brick.

Its a fun list that alleviates the tactical ballet the Eldar are used too, but you are susceptible to a mobile/deepstike force... Flamers of Tzeentch, anyone?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 05:32:19 PM by SlaveOne »
Dear Developers,

Please nerf rock, it is too powerful. Paper is just fine.

Thx,
Scissors