News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 8315 times)

Offline Mr Bate

Re: Rugby World Cup
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »
That kind of intelligence only comes from too many head injuries and breeding with sheep...

Ha ha good man you pretty much summed up the entire Newzealand rugby team there  :P
Yeah here in South Africa we have a weird sect who think that finding a girl outside of the family is for thieves so they marry in the family... Only in the South  :P
Have you ever noticed how everyone on Potchefstroom look the same? :)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2007, 02:15:43 PM »
It's more like a majority of the lower South Island but such is life in isolated areas.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Full Metal Geneticist

• Sir Quotesaplenty | No new bastardy suits.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Defender of the Text Wall
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »
You don't need an excuse... Be proud of your sexuality... One day New zealanders can walk down the street, hand in hoof with their loved one (who may or may not be delicious with mint sauce)

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2007, 02:22:10 PM »
Move with the times man, we've allowed that since the 1900's.  ;)  It's only other more backward nations that can't seem to get a grip on civil rights.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Mr Bate

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2007, 02:27:29 PM »
Yeah here in South Africa we have a weird sect who think that finding a girl outside of the family is for thieves so they marry in the family... Only in the South  :P

• Lazerous Penguin
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »
Move with the times man, we've allowed that since the 1900's.  ;)  It's only other more backward nations that can't seem to get a grip on civil rights.

Yeah. You think you have it baaaad...

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2007, 03:26:32 AM »
Thanks for putting it into perspective for me FMG, but I still have some pseudo questions/opinions
1. Ankle injuries are more common than knee ones... The most common one is the lateral collateral ligament of the ankle being strained. This injury heals slowly. And the problem with such injuries is that it makes you prone to getting injured again. Its a niggling debilitating injury which prevents you from moving as you like since its a weakness that is prone to getting injured in sports.

2. The ankle is a lot weaker than the knee. The ankle is designed for movements in a certain way. While the knee is more rigid, the ankle will give out more easily than a knee. Playing rugby with injured ankle equals BLOODY STUPID. It takes 3 weeks for a simple sprain to go away. And 6 weeks to fully recuperate if you are'nt putting weight down it. Mr. Wilkinson was made to train with it forcing it to be further injured.
I still see this as more of a niggling injury than a disabilitating one, you might rightly call it stupidity, but players of his calibre tend to have the will/determination/adrenaline to ignore non-debilitating injuries
3. The knee has a lot of ligaments. Which one did he hurt? Cause I can shin you and strain your patellar ligament and you will spend a few days hobbling about. Or i can tear your medial collateral ligament and watch you recover over the course of 6 months while on vicodin. Or I can tear a Cruciate ligament which while not as painful would cause you to be incapable of actually walking since you no longer have the ability to point your foot without active thought and movement of muscles. OR an accessory ligament (soreness) or the popliteal ligament (prevents a bunch of stuff from getting caught in the joint)... Or a meniscus (good night career in sports!) or a bursae (look my leg is now silly large!) or the joint capsule (prepare for surgery!) itself.
The majority of what you mentioned seemed pretty bad, I've never torn ligaments, but I do suffer from ITB (right acronym?) which means I periodically get inflamation in the tendon on the side of my knee. This is just inflamation, not a tear and as a result I can't use my leg for a day.

So on the whole, I still feel that the knee injury had a far greater likelyhood of being the more painful/disabling injury.

Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

• Lazerous Penguin
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2007, 04:40:10 AM »
ITB is not a knee injury... Its a hip injury. The symptoms just present themselves at the knee usually above it.

And the most knee injuries are patellar. Since the patella is there to protect the knee joint. That ligament is so tough it can fix itself within days since its so thick.  Its designed to pull the whole leg about. While the rest are there to keep your leg from falling off.

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2007, 05:14:06 AM »
Yeah, this ITB is really weird, It's a hip hip injury that presents in my knee, but it's because my feet are 'flat'  ???

So the patellar is there to protect the knee? but how much does it hurt?
(in all likelyhood the injury was causes by him flying knee first into a camera thanks to a pom player)
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

• Lazerous Penguin
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2007, 06:29:01 AM »
Because flat feet affect your gait putting pressure on the Illiotibial tract which rubs against your lateral epicondyle of femur. Neat eh?

The Patella's sole role is to protect the knee joint. Go knee a door hard. You will be able to walk but your knee would be sore. Its a sprain or a strain but its not debilitating and you can still play.

Offline Mr Bate

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »

Ha ha ha ha ha legend man I almost cried when I read it.  ::) your my hero ;D