News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help! My pictures aren't in focus! (A camera checklist).  (Read 30379 times)

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
Re: Help! My pictures aren't in focus! (A camera checklist).
« Reply #20 on: February 6, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »
It also really annoys me when people ignore that such a thread could be useful for ... well ... everybody.  I don't care that you know how to take good photos.  It's a relevant subject to the intent of the OP of the post that it was merged with, it's a good subject to have stickied and it's logical that it should be stickied with this.  Firstly because it prevents the board having umpteen stickies clustered at the top, and secondly because it's on the general subjects of cameras and camera use.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Unholy Worm

« Reply #21 on: February 9, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »
Hey all, I found out a few days ago that placing a magnifying glass in front of the lens of the camera really makes the picture good! Just try to experiment with it a bit and you'll soon get a perfect shot.
A wise man never fears, a man afraid does not thinck!

Offline heysparky

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 03:01:50 AM »
NOTE: I'm not a licensed photographician.

The OP mentions (in tip 5) orange lighting. You can get 'truer' color if you can tinker with your camera's white balance. Dig around in your camera's settings to see if you can find where to set this. Generally it involves finding the setting, pointing the camera at something you consider white under the lighting you're using to give the camera a baseline for 'white.' You'll probably have to re-set this frequently - lighting conditions change.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #23 on: July 2, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
Don't know if this is useful to anybody but I use this background for my photos:

Just save it and print it off onto A4.

Then tape one edge to a flat surface such as a desk or table, and prop something behind to hold the paper upright (I use a mirror) so that models can be placed with the backgound underneath and behind them.

Then position 2 light sources, I normally have one above and one to the side which helps reduce shadow but also provides extra light.

Adjust your EV setting to +1 / +1.5 and hit Macro and you're good to go.

Gives this effect:

By no means professional, but I think it does the job. I unfortunately don't have a tripod which is why the focus is a bit shaky, so I'd reccommend one of those too if you have one.
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #24 on: October 4, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »
Because not everyone has perfect natural light for photography sometimes you need to use the camera flash. The trouble is that flash is 'all or nothing', your picture may be too dark without it but washed out when it's on. I get around this with a cheap flash diffuser, simply hold a piece of plain white paper in front of the flash and it will soften the light nicely. You get all the light you need but without the harsh, washed out look.
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

Offline High Grandmaster smithmyster666 of the Grey Knights

• Strike from the skies brothers!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 04:48:06 PM »
Thanks dux, this thread has been a huge help with photographing my minis
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline Kuma

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »
Yes, thanks. I've had a lot of trouble getting minis in focus, and getting the lighting right. I have a horrible pixel rate on my camera, but I believe if I implement this practical knowledge when necessary, I should be able to get some useable photos.
the blaeth eye