News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: When the Swordwind Blows  (Read 2025 times)

Offline MenangauTuis

• What, These guys? They're only Harlequins...
When the Swordwind Blows
« on: February 14, 2002, 07:25:35 AM »
When the Swordwind Blows

Theceildeorn looked out from his balcony. In the distance, only the stars could be seen, faint and cold from the windows of the Craftworld. A single tear crept down his face, and he turned away, the view from his chamber both serene and disturbing. Clutching his waystone, he moved to his bed, and lay down with a sigh. 30 short years since his kin had last gone to war - 30 years since he witnessed his family slain by an unholy force. 'SheAnweak'. For the first time in years, his brother's name passed his lips. A single chime rang from the door.
"Who wishes to see me?"
"Ethcorai. You have not been to the shrine in weeks, my friend. Is there something the matter?"
"Nothing, Ethcorai, nothing..."
The door slid open, and Ethcorai, dressed in amber robes, a faint rune painted on his face, strode in.
"There is obviously something wrong. You have not been so, so shut off since... oh."
"Are you satisfied now? You've found out what the matter was. I wish to be alone. I shall return to my duties within the week."
"I do apologise. I was not thinking." He turned to leave, "I am sorry. We all felt your loss. SheAnweak was a good man. He did not deserve this."

-----------------------
It was just approaching dusk when it happened - sensing the strife, the ambience of the Craftworld changed, and each passage and street was immersed in a faint ruddy glow. The air itself seemed to shift, and each Eldar felt a wave of malice sweep across them. Theceildeorn leapt up from his bed and hurried to the window. In the distance, where before, there was nothing but stars, now there was an iridescent cloud, shimmering in some unseen light. From its centre seemed to pulse a force, not seen, but felt. Then, the cloud was gone, dissipated into the void. Pulling on a tunic, Theceildeorn ran to the door, and began to sprint towards the seer-dome.
Within minutes, the dome was full of Eldar, all conferring and theorising its meanings, it's intent, and all waiting for a single person.
"Lord-Seer, Lord-Seer! I wish to speak with you. It is of..."
"I understand you concern, child. However, if you will allow me to speak first, I shall explain what I know. Now, excuse me."; He stepped up to the podium, and the hall fell silent with anticipation. "I have returned from council with the Elders. They and the Matrix agree - this was no natural force, and we must find its cause and its purpose. The council are divining possible outcomes as I speak, but we must be prepared for war." A lone figure, attired in the style of the Warlock stepped up to speak with the Wizened Seer. For minutes the pair spoke, inaudible, even in the deathly silence.
"My friends. It is certain. A force moves against us, and they wish to defeat us. We have witnessed a conjured storm, in order to conceal thier intent from us. They are Mon-Keigh, the ones known as traitor by their own kin. We are at war, my Brethren, and Khaine shall awaken once again!"
---------------------------

Part 2 coming soon.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2002, 05:04:08 AM by MenangauTuis »
Haras MearScurath. Esika Novis. Mure ishBonio. Offiga Rroth!

Blood Runs, Anger Rises, Death Wakes, War Calls!

Eldar Battle Chant to Khaine, in both the Traditional Eldar, and Imperial Gothic.

Cheantoa

Re:When the Swordwind Blows
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 11:12:42 PM »
SWEET!!!
It's very good.

I have one problem

The person is an aspect warrior, no?

He seems to display too much emotion for an aspect warrior, or is his grief so great it breaks through that?

looking forward to part 2

Offline Farseer_Strider

• High Farseer of Ulthwé
    • i contain walnuts
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2002, 09:56:44 AM »
me too sound good
meh

back from hell 03/30/03

Offline Star.Scream

• The OLD Transformers were the best! - Classic!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2002, 01:49:30 PM »
>>>>>Sounds good, prehaps once all the parts are finished you might send it into EO?  They are waiting for a lot of fluff my friend....
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies." - StarScream

"You can never know everything, and part of what you do know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies on going on anyway."
-al'Lan Mandragoran, p.600 Winters Heart, book nine of the series "The Wheel of Time," by Robert Jordan.

Offline MenangauTuis

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2002, 04:41:01 AM »

I have one problem

The person is an aspect warrior, no?

He seems to display too much emotion for an aspect warrior, or is his grief so great it breaks through that?

looking forward to part 2

If you read through the older material, aspect warriors have learnt to 'switch' between thier battle-selves and thier peacetime selves. Basically it's to protect them from the dark side of the Eldar psyche. But, no, he's not an Aspect Warrior, but I'll leave it for you lot to work out.

Eldar Battle Chant to Khaine, in both the Traditional Eldar, and Imperial Gothic.

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2002, 01:19:00 PM »
Just a question, did you copy & paste from Word? 'Cause sometimes I see "&#numbers" in Word documents when copied.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline deadparrot42

• SMEG!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2002, 08:37:28 PM »
Well, about the aspect warriors and emotion-y bit, I thought the narrator was just a guardian. but, I could be wrong....
"The ships floated in the air, much like bricks dont" -Douglas Adams

Offline MenangauTuis

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2002, 04:55:06 AM »
Yes, it's copied and pasted from word. I'll get round to editing it to remove all the &#numbers at some point. I'm just gonna keep you all guessing as to his path, at least until part 2.

On a related note, I got White Dwarf today, and in the News section theres a notice about an Eldar novel from the Black Library, entitled 'Farseer', and  written by Bill King (of Gotrek and Felix fame). Apparently it'll be part of a series of Eldar novels. Oh, and It's 2000 points Ulthwe vs Black Legion (Eldrad vs Abaddon) in the Battle report.

Offline MenangauTuis

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2002, 12:02:48 PM »
When the Swordwind Blows
Part 2

Hours had turned to days, days to weeks, but still the chorus continued. Deep in the bowels of MenangauTuis, a powerful force stirred, a feeling of rage and hatred surging through every fibre of the craftworld. The Craftworld was quiet, not silent, but still very quiet, and the only sound clearly heard was a chorus of screams eminating from Khaine's temple - the Song of Blood.

Theceildeorn sat, cross-legged, in a chamber tinted red by unseen flames. Shadows flickered, and the walls seemed to pulse with emotion.Next to him sat his brethren, each adorned in the complex scaled armour of thier aspect, the colours of fire, of blood and of ruin emblazoned across thier bodies. Only thier heads were bear, and thier Exarch, fully attired for war, visited each one in turn, anointing thier faces with runes of war, breaking the barriers that divided thier psyche with incriptions of blood. In his hand, a bowl, crimson fluid within, a concoction of his essence, and of each of his brethren, scented with hot spices. With his fingers he traced the rune of Khaine in his Dragon Aspect, and watched, silent as each warrior in turn stood and fastened thier helm, completing the ritual.

Finally, the Exarch came to Theceildeorn, and removed his Helm to speak:
"Brother, with this brew I do anoint thee, freeing the war within thine mind. May Khaine guide your blade, Brother Warlock." The Exarch replaced his Helm, and waited. Theceildeorn spoke.
"Master Exarch, in thy name I cast these runes. As Khaine is my witness, and with Isha, the mother, in our hearts, I fire your soul for battle. May the fire burn bright, Master Exarch."
With that, he stood, and took his helm from the shrine, and strode from the room, his cloak and robes blowing an an unfelt breeze.

---------

Part 3 soon!